Author Topic: Viktor Orban's power grab  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
Viktor Orban's power grab
« on: April 03, 2020, 02:45:47 pm »
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/03/opinions/hungary-autocrat-covid-19-power-grab-bociurkiw/index.html

This guy's like Palpatine with fewer pretenses of caring about democracy.
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Viktor Orban's power grab
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 05:26:35 pm »
When we have a non-Trump President, we might have a new Hitler we need to knock over. Good thing knocking over the President of Hungary would be less trouble than dealing with Gaddafi.

That, or have the CIA arrange a terrible accident for him. Falling right into a microscopic amount of deadly poison.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 01:28:13 am »
You had to have known that this was coming, if you've read anything about Hungary in the last 5 years or so.  Fidesz under Orban clearly morphed into a fascist regime a few years ago.  Looks like Orban's going to use Covid-19 to finish the conversion.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 11:18:23 am »
The only surprising thing is that he couldn't even wait a week before going full on using his powers to opress minorities. A more sensible dictator would have at least done these things gradually after the worst is over.

...anyway, if this pandemic doesn't destroy EU, it will come out of it stronger than more unified than before and Hungary will see how much it hurts when they have no friends in Europe.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 12:40:20 am »
You had to have known that this was coming, if you've read anything about Hungary in the last 5 years or so.  Fidesz under Orban clearly morphed into a fascist regime a few years ago.  Looks like Orban's going to use Covid-19 to finish the conversion.

Yup, he's been getting a lot of help from the extreme right in Britain and the US.  And no doubt Russia, too.