Author Topic: Newly discovered tomb sparks debate over origin of Christianity  (Read 5480 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/discovery-jerusalem-tomb-purported-early-christian-symbols-ignites-194932434.html

This is just something I found interesting. I still gotta wonder though... These guys claim they may have found Jesus's tomb years ago, so... if that's true, then doesn't that kinda disprove the story of Jesus in the first place? I mean, didn't he ascend into heaven or something, body and all?

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Re: Newly discovered tomb sparks debate over origin of Christianity
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 05:39:50 pm »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/discovery-jerusalem-tomb-purported-early-christian-symbols-ignites-194932434.html

This is just something I found interesting. I still gotta wonder though... These guys claim they may have found Jesus's tomb years ago, so... if that's true, then doesn't that kinda disprove the story of Jesus in the first place? I mean, didn't he ascend into heaven or something, body and all?

Yes. It kills the whole notion of arising in three day. (Though if you think about, coming back to life kills the whole notion of dying for sins.)
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 05:42:49 pm »
It's because fundies find a tomb in Jerusalem and they automatically assume it's related somehow to Jesus without realizing how this may contradict their holy book.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 05:45:40 pm by TGRwulf »
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 05:44:57 pm »

I think that was proven to be a hoax if your talking about the one I think you are, but I think they have found Jesus' tomb a few times. Yeshua was a common name at the time. Once someone took a stone sarcophagus that had the Hebrew writing for the name Yeshua and then added "Son of Joseph" or something to that effect to it and tried to sell it to an Israeli museum. The museum looked at it and said it was authentic and they bought it, only to realize the mistake later.

Also the Shroud of Turin.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 05:59:11 pm »
One guy said, "It's just a musty old tomb." The other guy said, "Geezus!"  The entire story has been badly distorted from that point.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:16:53 pm »
It is only a problem if they claim they found Jesus’s body, too. He was laid in a tomb before the resurrection, after all.

Say, if it wound up being empty, was there any chance some frugal individual wound up using it for someone else’s body?
-A Pen Name

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:49:16 pm »
It is only a problem if they claim they found Jesus’s body, too. He was laid in a tomb before the resurrection, after all.

Say, if it wound up being empty, was there any chance some frugal individual wound up using it for someone else’s body?

One wonders why they would give Jesus his own tomb. He didn't pay for it, and they considered him a criminal. Wouldn't they have put him in the equivalent of a modern city owned graveyards where they bury homeless people, unclaimed bodies and such? He would be place in an unmarked crypt with many other people right? Also didn't the Romans prefer cremation?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 08:13:24 am »

One wonders why they would give Jesus his own tomb. He didn't pay for it, and they considered him a criminal. Wouldn't they have put him in the equivalent of a modern city owned graveyards where they bury homeless people, unclaimed bodies and such? He would be place in an unmarked crypt with many other people right? Also didn't the Romans prefer cremation?
A man called Simon of somewheresomewhere donated his own tomb.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:35:39 am »
If Jesus even existed, wouldn't he have just been thrown in a mass burial pile with the other dead prisoners of the Roman government? And not granted the rights to be buried in a tomb? Weren't tombs mainly for rich people or people of importance? I don't think Jesus's family was rolling in money.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:37:21 am by Id82 »
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 09:46:45 am »
If Jesus even existed, wouldn't he have just been thrown in a mass burial pile with the other dead prisoners of the Roman government? And not granted the rights to be buried in a tomb? Weren't tombs mainly for rich people or people of importance? I don't think Jesus's family was rolling in money.

As Yia said, a rich man named Simon asked for and received permission to bury Jesus body the tomb he had bought and prepared for himself.  It's a convenient plot line.  But this is a minor point.  There are so many other holes in the crucifixion story that, upon logical examination, makes the whole thing fall apart.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 10:05:48 am »

A man called Simon of somewheresomewhere donated his own tomb.

Joseph of Arimathea.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 12:43:13 pm »
You're right, TheL, I made the same mistake, too, in naming him.  <slaps self upside head>  Should have known better.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 01:18:02 pm »

As Yia said, a rich man named Simon asked for and received permission to bury Jesus body the tomb he had bought and prepared for himself.  It's a convenient plot line.  But this is a minor point.  There are so many other holes in the crucifixion story that, upon logical examination, makes the whole thing fall apart.

Logical examination meaning that people don't rise from the dead?  8)
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 01:50:12 pm »

Logical examination meaning that people don't rise from the dead?  8)

Among other things. 

Offline Podkayne

• Pope
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 07:40:30 am »
Doesn't this happen every time someone finds a tomb near Jerusalem?
Don't make vague, generic threats, or else!