Author Topic: 92 yr old sticks it to the MPAA  (Read 2503 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
92 yr old sticks it to the MPAA
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:00:47 pm »
MASSAPEQUA, N.Y. — One of the world’s most prolific bootleggers of Hollywood DVDs loves his morning farina. He has spent eight years churning out hundreds of thousands of copies of “The Hangover,” “Gran Torino” and other first-run movies from his small Long Island apartment to ship overseas.

“Big Hy” — his handle among many loyal customers — would almost certainly be cast as Hollywood Enemy No. 1 but for a few details. He is actually Hyman Strachman, a 92-year-old, 5-foot-5 World War II veteran trying to stay busy after the death of his wife. And he has sent every one of his copied DVDs, almost 4,000 boxes of them to date, free to American soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

With the United States military presence in those regions dwindling, Big Hy Strachman will live on in many soldiers’ hearts as one of the war’s more shadowy heroes.

“It’s not the right thing to do, but I did it,” Mr. Strachman said, acknowledging that his actions violated copyright law.

“If I were younger,” he added, “maybe I’d be spending time in the hoosegow.”

Capt. Bryan Curran, who recently returned from Afghanistan, estimated that from 2008 to 2010, Mr. Strachman sent more than 2,000 DVDs to his outfits there.

In February, Mr. Strachman duplicated and shipped 1,100 movies. (“A slow month,” he said.) He has not kept an official count but estimates that he topped 80,000 discs a year during his heyday in 2007 and 2008, making his total more than 300,000 since he began in 2004. Postage of about $11 a box, and the blank discs themselves, would suggest a personal outlay of over $30,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/27/nyregion/at-92-movie-bootlegger-is-soldiers-hero.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2

I doubt the MPAA will go after him, it would be a PR nightmare.  I have to say though that his dedication to the men overseas is admirable. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:03:13 pm by CaseAgainstFaith »
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: 92 yr old sticks it to the MPAA
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 04:44:53 pm »
You haven't met the MPAA yet have you?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 06:19:30 pm »
You haven't met the MPAA yet have you?

Didn't they try to sue an 11 year old girl with cancer for downloading 5 songs or something? I think they tried to sue for over $10,000.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:05:52 pm »
That's the RPAA.  Easy mistake I know but there is a distinction.

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 12:57:34 am »
MASSAPEQUA, N.Y. — One of the world’s most prolific bootleggers of Hollywood DVDs loves his morning farina. He has spent eight years churning out hundreds of thousands of copies of “The Hangover,” “Gran Torino” and other first-run movies from his small Long Island apartment to ship overseas.

“Big Hy” — his handle among many loyal customers — would almost certainly be cast as Hollywood Enemy No. 1 but for a few details. He is actually Hyman Strachman, a 92-year-old, 5-foot-5 World War II veteran trying to stay busy after the death of his wife. And he has sent every one of his copied DVDs, almost 4,000 boxes of them to date, free to American soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

With the United States military presence in those regions dwindling, Big Hy Strachman will live on in many soldiers’ hearts as one of the war’s more shadowy heroes.

“It’s not the right thing to do, but I did it,” Mr. Strachman said, acknowledging that his actions violated copyright law.

“If I were younger,” he added, “maybe I’d be spending time in the hoosegow.”

Capt. Bryan Curran, who recently returned from Afghanistan, estimated that from 2008 to 2010, Mr. Strachman sent more than 2,000 DVDs to his outfits there.

In February, Mr. Strachman duplicated and shipped 1,100 movies. (“A slow month,” he said.) He has not kept an official count but estimates that he topped 80,000 discs a year during his heyday in 2007 and 2008, making his total more than 300,000 since he began in 2004. Postage of about $11 a box, and the blank discs themselves, would suggest a personal outlay of over $30,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/27/nyregion/at-92-movie-bootlegger-is-soldiers-hero.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2

I doubt the MPAA will go after him, it would be a PR nightmare.  I have to say though that his dedication to the men overseas is admirable.

They honestly can't afford not to.  The message the **AA have been diligently sending over the past ten or so years has been that they will pursue and punish ANYONE suspected of using or distributing their product without their permission, without sentiment, pity, mercy or restraint.  Punishing a 92 year old man with a patriotic streak enforces the message that no one who pirates is safe.  Even if they lose the case in court, they've still cost him time, money and aggravation, and I'm sure they're sufficiently cold-blooded to realize that if they tie him up long enough, nature may take care of their problem for them. 

But I can still HOPE there's a backlash.  Nothing would please me more than to see them burn at this point. 
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 04:40:30 am »
They honestly can't afford not to.  The message the **AA have been diligently sending over the past ten or so years has been that they will pursue and punish ANYONE suspected of using or distributing their product without their permission, without sentiment, pity, mercy or restraint.  Punishing a 92 year old man with a patriotic streak enforces the message that no one who pirates is safe.  Even if they lose the case in court, they've still cost him time, money and aggravation, and I'm sure they're sufficiently cold-blooded to realize that if they tie him up long enough, nature may take care of their problem for them. 

But I can still HOPE there's a backlash.  Nothing would please me more than to see them burn at this point.

Agreed on this point.  Also remember that the lawyers who work for RIAA/MPAA are generally soulless mercenaries who care only about their paychecks.  They tend not to turn down cases if it means they can boost their billable hours.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:01:46 am »
The law is the law. you cant base quitting out on a case based on mere principle
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 05:52:00 pm »
The law is the law. you cant base quitting out on a case based on mere principle

But there is such a thing as prosecutorial discretion.  Prosecutors have the right to forgo pursuing criminal charges against a suspect (within certain limits, of course).  Likewise, plaintiffs in civil cases can settle out of court or simply choose not to sue if they think it isn't worth the time/money/bad publicity.

It's hard to say whether the MAFIAA sees it this way.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil