Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 568700 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #915 on: April 22, 2012, 11:47:05 pm »
The point of "Embellishment for the sake of the story" was also raised in the pre-reader IRC.  Thinking on it, it's a valid interpretation.  I'm still bothered because I've come to see Celestia and Luna both as nigh-omnipotent Goddesses, and... I don't know, maybe it's that view, plus time constraints on the show, that bothers me.  Several of the other pre-readers are also of the opinion that it could possibly have warranted a movie unto itself.

I'm feeling better and less... depressed, perhaps? over the episode.  It still bothers me, but I can see where some of the issues lie, and why, now.

Sorry to be such a downer, everypony.

Also, Phoe, one of the three blogponies, went nuclear with happy when Lyra spoke :3
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #916 on: April 22, 2012, 11:59:22 pm »
That was an amazing episode I do wish though more Vinal Scratch.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #917 on: April 23, 2012, 12:02:08 am »
The only thing that bothered me about the episode is that we've seen in past episodes that Twilight can not only teleport herself, but her with other ponies. When they going to get the elements, and ended up fighting with the changlings, she should've used a teleportation spell on herself and the rest of the mane 6, in order to get the elements.

The point of "Embellishment for the sake of the story" was also raised in the pre-reader IRC.  Thinking on it, it's a valid interpretation.  I'm still bothered because I've come to see Celestia and Luna both as nigh-omnipotent Goddesses, and... I don't know, maybe it's that view, plus time constraints on the show, that bothers me.  Several of the other pre-readers are also of the opinion that it could possibly have warranted a movie unto itself.

I'm feeling better and less... depressed, perhaps? over the episode.  It still bothers me, but I can see where some of the issues lie, and why, now.

*Hugs* I'm sorry I came off as somewhat of a bitch, in my one earlier post.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #918 on: April 23, 2012, 01:41:22 am »
^ Though in her defense, she's been shown to fail at teleporting under pressure, and probably wanted to save all of her power for the fight.

However, I would be remiss if I didn't say that the thought had occurred to me as well.

No offense, Priestling, but I've never come to see them as nigh-omnipotent.  They raise the sun and the moon, but can be defeated.  Otherwise, Nightmare Moon would've been impossible to defeat in the first two episodes.

That being said, they are still very powerful beings, and very ancient.

And I'm glad you're less depressed. :D
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #919 on: April 23, 2012, 12:30:55 pm »
^ Though in her defense, she's been shown to fail at teleporting under pressure, and probably wanted to save all of her power for the fight.

Good point, her magic does seem to be a bit wonky when under a lot of pressure. The best example being her story of the entrance exam in The Cutie Mark Chronicles.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #920 on: April 23, 2012, 03:50:45 pm »

Also, as for why she didn't teleport herself and real-Cadence out of the caves, I imagine that has to do with the fact that she didn't actually know where they were related to Canterlot.  All she knew was that it was "under", but being skilled in magic, she would probably know that doing a blind teleport would be a bad thing... after all, ending up entombed in stone is not a pleasant way to go.

It also could've been that Cadence, as an alicorn, was simply too powerful to be teleported safely at Twilight's current magical level - and it didn't seem like Cadence was an adept at magic herself, specializing precisely in love magic.

Speaking of which, have you ever noticed that the only time you see her use that spell is on people who are already in love?  Nice touch, MLP staff.  It's not a spell that makes people fall in love... it's a spell that tempers and strengthens the already existing love.  Enough to make a couple forget a silly argument and remember that they love each other.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #921 on: April 23, 2012, 08:09:53 pm »

Meh, you're not bringing me down, dear.  Besides, as you said, the Princesses are "nigh-omnipotent," not completely so.  ;)

Plus, everybody's going to have an episode or two of a favorite show that rubs them the wrong way.  Doesn't keep you from being a fan. :3

Speaking of which, have you ever noticed that the only time you see her use that spell is on people who are already in love?  Nice touch, MLP staff.  It's not a spell that makes people fall in love... it's a spell that tempers and strengthens the already existing love.  Enough to make a couple forget a silly argument and remember that they love each other.

Awesome CS Lewis quote, Zach.  Totally appropriate. :3

And yes, this is the way ALL love spells should be written in fiction, or at least the ones that are portrayed as actually being a good idea.  (See also:  Hearts and Hooves Day).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:13:40 pm by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #922 on: April 23, 2012, 10:38:19 pm »
Actually, I forgot that Twilight teleported herself and Cadence closer to the entrance.

Well, there's still the whole "Teleportation is done respective to current location - you can't just teleport to Canterlot, you need to know where Canterlot is located in relation to your current position" idea.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #923 on: April 24, 2012, 12:55:39 am »
Epic Wub Time!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob1t-iUCmE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob1t-iUCmE</a>
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:00:12 am by nickiknack »

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #924 on: April 24, 2012, 03:28:08 am »
It also could've been that Cadence, as an alicorn, was simply too powerful to be teleported safely at Twilight's current magical level - and it didn't seem like Cadence was an adept at magic herself, specializing precisely in love magic.

Nope.  Remember how she teleported them to that cliff top?  I mean, maybe you meant with great distances, but that's now how you seem to be saying it.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #925 on: April 24, 2012, 05:27:52 am »

Nope.  Remember how she teleported them to that cliff top?  I mean, maybe you meant with great distances, but that's now how you seem to be saying it.

Actually, I forgot that Twilight teleported herself and Cadence closer to the entrance.

Well, there's still the whole "Teleportation is done respective to current location - you can't just teleport to Canterlot, you need to know where Canterlot is located in relation to your current position" idea.

Read thread b4 replying kthxpl0x

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #926 on: April 25, 2012, 03:09:43 am »
...Pardon if my attempt at humorous snark ended up offending.

Here, have a song in apology: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/6524573/

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #927 on: April 25, 2012, 02:29:48 pm »
Here, everypony, bask in the fabulousity of Miss Rarity!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tf1rjBGQHE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tf1rjBGQHE</a>

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #928 on: April 25, 2012, 06:46:33 pm »
Now that the season's over I now feel kind of sad, am looking forward to next season though.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #929 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:17 pm »
Watch Legend of Korra! Forget your troubles!  ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAwpK34ook8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAwpK34ook8</a>

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...