Author Topic: California bans gay conversion therapy for minors  (Read 3584 times)

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
California bans gay conversion therapy for minors
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:09:09 am »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/01/us/california-bans-therapies-to-cure-gay-minors.html?_r=0

California has become the first state to ban the use for minors of disputed therapies to “overcome” homosexuality, a step hailed by gay rights groups across the country that say the therapies have caused dangerous emotional harm to gay and lesbian teenagers.

This bill bans nonscientific ‘therapies’ that have driven young people to depression and suicide,” Gov. Jerry Brown said in a statement on Saturday after he signed the bill into law. “These practices have no basis in science or medicine, and they will now be relegated to the dustbin of quackery.”

The law, which is to take effect on Jan. 1, states that no “mental health provider” shall provide minors with therapy intended to change their sexual orientation, including efforts to “change behaviors or gender expressions, or to eliminate or reduce sexual or romantic attractions or feelings toward individuals of the same sex.”

The law was sponsored by State Senator Ted W. Lieu and supported by a long list of medical and psychological societies, as well by state and national advocates for gay rights. Also speaking up for the ban were former patients who described emotional scars they said they were left with after being pushed into the therapy by their parents and finding that they could not change their sexual orientation or did not want to.

1 down. 49 to go.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:14:47 am by VirtualStranger »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: California bans gay conversion therapy for minors
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:15:26 am »
Cue religious groups bitching about people trampling over their religious right to have their offspring think like they do.

Ironbite-and cue me dying from laughter.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:29:35 am »
A tsunami begins with but a single vibration...may this be that.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 02:19:41 am »
Guess I'd better get the gathering buckets ready to harvest some neocon tears. Excellent news. Hopefully, more states follow suit on this.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 02:40:04 am »
Guess I'd better get the gathering buckets ready to harvest some neocon tears. Excellent news. Hopefully, more states follow suit on this.

Buckets?  Brother, you're going to need tanks and a pump.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 02:43:39 am »
Cue religious groups bitching about people trampling over their religious right to have their offspring think like they do.

Ironbite-and cue me dying from laughter.

Too bad for them that they're not allowed to abuse their children, even for religious reasons.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 06:46:22 am »
The parents will just send their kids out of state. There are "conversion camps" all over.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 06:59:39 am »
Yay California!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 07:01:44 am »
Yay finally some good news

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 07:23:34 am »
The parents will just send their kids out of state. There are "conversion camps" all over.

Last I checked there were conversion camps that will kidnap your kid in the middle of the night and ship them off to like Jamaica. I might be confusing them with just "normal" camps for troubled teens, but last I checked there is very little difference between conversion therapy and the torture they do at those other camps.

Still one small step against this conversion therapy crap is a start.

This story was available on a news site in my country. Despite gay marriage and everything being legal here, the population in general is enormously homophobic so the comments were a bit depressing. However, I think my favorite quote from the article was: "Opponents said the bill encroached on the rights of parents to make choices for their children. They also said politicians should not regulate what they considered to be a matter for medical boards to decide." I just love this because these are the same people who would support bills that usurp medicals boards and require unnecessary ultrasounds and such. Not to mention that this bill has the backing of just about every reputable medical society in the world. Link to the local article if anyone is interested.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 10:11:17 am »
Last I checked there were conversion camps that will kidnap your kid in the middle of the night and ship them off to like Jamaica. I might be confusing them with just "normal" camps for troubled teens, but last I checked there is very little difference between conversion therapy and the torture they do at those other camps.

Still one small step against this conversion therapy crap is a start.

It is a step, I'll even grant you a small step. But in America, that's how change happens. Gruelingly slow to start, almost never in one fell swoop. But these things can pick up some sort of momentum. Slowly at the beginning, to be sure. However there has to be a beginning to any movement to change.

Now it sucks to be one of those kids right now. Right this second, they're pretty well boned. And it's no great honor to be one of the last who has to suffer through it. I understand that, and my heart goes out to them. But change is an incredibly slow process.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 01:53:15 pm »
Anyone know what RR and the like have to about this? I'll bet it's hilarious.

Offline Gst0395

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 02:14:36 pm »
Doesn't surprise me since California has the highest population of homosexuals in the US, mainly in San Francisco. Personally, I don't care if someone is gay, I see it more as a feeling than a choice.
Youtube: Gst0395
Pixar Planet: Geoff-uk1234

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 02:35:50 pm »
Anyone know what RR and the like have to about this? I'll bet it's hilarious.

I have a feeling there saying this means the end times are near, as they have been for about 2,000 years.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop