Author Topic: So how screwed are we (Fiscal Cliff)?  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
So how screwed are we (Fiscal Cliff)?
« on: November 17, 2012, 03:49:04 pm »
I been hearing/reading about this Fiscal Cliff and the fear that if things aren't settled, we could be in for yet another recession.  How likely is this to happen and will it be worse than before?

Also, I can understand Obama and Romney not wanting to discuss it, but why didn't anyone else?  Why didn't anyone drill them at a debate, asking, "What are you going to do to avert this?"
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
Re: So how screwed are we (Fiscal Cliff)?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 04:17:55 pm »
Because it's pretty much just how every time coming out of a recession works. It's not a Cliff, it's a slope by the way. The government will reduce spending and introduce new taxes, slowly, and they'll be integrated slowly into the economy, offset by standard economic growth.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 04:56:56 pm »
Because it's pretty much just how every time coming out of a recession works. It's not a Cliff, it's a slope by the way. The government will reduce spending and introduce new taxes, slowly, and they'll be integrated slowly into the economy, offset by standard economic growth.

If that is the case I would like to know in what government document is that specified?

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:01:42 pm »
This is the current scary topic.  It will soon be replaced by another.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:23:54 pm by Old Viking »
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »

The spending cuts and tax increases that are scheduled to go into effect January 1st are not gradual.  There is a change that the reduction of government spending could throw the economy back into recession.

However that is not going to happen on the first if nothing is done by that time.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 05:39:12 pm »
Spending cuts may not be gradual, but taxes are not instantly sucked out of the economy but are instituted gradually, no matter how 'immediate' they may seem. I get my information from a Masters of Accounting Tax Accountant, so they know these things. It's likely that the government will try to space the cuts across the year to avoid too quick a drop.

A recession requires multiple quarters of reduced growth, regardless, so a temporary dip and then coming back up as the economy takes it in. A small dip a trend does not make.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 06:35:52 pm by Material Defender »
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 06:32:03 pm »
I've heard from Moveon that Boehner made it up or something, and that he only wants to make sure the Bush Tax Cuts stay.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 07:29:18 pm »
It's not a 'cliff', it's a bomb. For whatever reason, congress decided to lay this bomb last year- as a condition for passing a routine, meaningless administrative law last year, a law that's always passed without comment when Republicans are in charge, clear double standard, shock doctrine attack on needed social welfare spending, ect, ect. If congress decides to set it off, it will probably drive the economy into double-dip recession. But so would any austerity. The wailing and gnashing of teeth over this austerity shows nobody seriously cares about the debt- they care about destroying Medicare and Social Security, and don't care how long the recession has to go to achieve that.

Personally, I feel that congress won't come to a decision and will just repeal the stupid, needless legislation (can Obama veto it?). Nobody really wants their military-industrial donors being out of a job. But let this be a lesson- austerity is for the boom, not the bust.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 09:28:09 pm »
I've heard from Moveon that Boehner made it up or something, and that he only wants to make sure the Bush Tax Cuts stay.

Oh no it is not a made up thing. CNN and the CS Monitor have articles on the thing and the major details are consistent with each other.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 10:47:18 pm »
Spending cuts may not be gradual, but taxes are not instantly sucked out of the economy but are instituted gradually, no matter how 'immediate' they may seem. I get my information from a Masters of Accounting Tax Accountant, so they know these things. It's likely that the government will try to space the cuts across the year to avoid too quick a drop.

There is a difference between an Economist and a Masters of Accounting Tax Accountant. 

Now if a deal is reached spending cuts will most likely be gradual.  If nothing gets passed the cuts will be all at once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_fiscal_cliff
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 12:30:38 am »

Oh no it is not a made up thing. CNN and the CS Monitor have articles on the thing and the major details are consistent with each other.
Yes... let's use CNN as an example of "not made up things". Have you seen their portrayal of Israel/Gaza?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 12:58:25 am »
Ok ok if you don't trust CNN, I can link a dozen results from sources.

And perhaps there is some misunderstanding on the details as to how abrupt the changes will be, but as to whether or not the fiscal "cliff" is real, I would say yes.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 04:44:18 am »
In other words, same old?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Distind

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 06:57:17 am »
In other words, same old?
It's a bipartisan gun to the head of the federal government. If they can't manage something better, it'll automatically do something neither want. An attempt to get them to do SOMETHING actively rather than the constant flow of nos.

Not that it's terribly likely to be honored, I remember hearing about republicans rejecting it some time early this year.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 11:31:20 am »
Yeah, it was put into place because it was considered to be so bad that neither side could live with it, and it would force the debt supercommittee to reach an agreement.  It consists of increasing taxes and cutting the military (which Republicans don't want to do) and implementing massive cuts to social programs (which Democrats don't want to do).

As soon as the supercommittee failed, Republicans started talking about how tax increases would be bad for the economy and military defense cuts would be bad for national security.  Instead, they proposed restructuring the fiscal cliff so it didn't do these things, and instead cut social spending deeper.  Because, obviously, the best compromise is one in which you give up nothing and the other side gives up twice as much as they originally agreed to.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."