Author Topic: So how screwed are we (Fiscal Cliff)?  (Read 3967 times)

Offline wyvern999

• Apprentice
Re: So how screwed are we (Fiscal Cliff)?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 08:52:53 pm »
I find it odd how a nation that has no universal healthcare, and a minimalist approach to a welfare state to say the least, manages to get itself into so much debt.
Just what are you spending your money on? because it certainly isn't your people.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 09:10:16 pm »
Defense

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 09:24:03 pm »
The United States spends more on its military than the rest of the ENTIRE WORLD.  Allow that to sink in.  One country spends more on its military than the entirety of all the other countries in the world.

A lot of it is probably contractual waste, thanks to people being fucking bastards, and thinking, HEY!  Free money!  There's a lot of paranoia, there, too, and then there are the dominionists, who think the USA should take over the world to make way for Jesus.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 09:31:58 pm »
I find it odd how a nation that has no universal healthcare, and a minimalist approach to a welfare state to say the least, manages to get itself into so much debt.
Just what are you spending your money on? because it certainly isn't your people.

The three largest things, in order, are Medicare/Medicaid, Social Security, and Defense.  Note that Defense spending does not include Homeland Security or the nuclear program.

Breakdown of U.S. federal spending: 
(click to show/hide)

The United States spends more on its military than the rest of the ENTIRE WORLD.  Allow that to sink in.  One country spends more on its military than the entirety of all the other countries in the world.

A lot of it is probably contractual waste, thanks to people being fucking bastards, and thinking, HEY!  Free money!  There's a lot of paranoia, there, too, and then there are the dominionists, who think the USA should take over the world to make way for Jesus.

The U.S. spends a lot on the military, but it is not more than the rest of the world combined.  It is close though, 42.8% of the world's total.

Major military spending: 
(click to show/hide)
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 01:18:51 am »
I have seen some statistics where the U.S. spending is closed to 50% of the wolrds military spendings. Either that was old data or one of them is simply wrong.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 03:33:28 am »

Largely recessions.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Distind

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 11:00:40 am »
I have seen some statistics where the U.S. spending is closed to 50% of the wolrds military spendings. Either that was old data or one of them is simply wrong.
It's because people go back and forth on just what is covered in defense.