Author Topic: More bullshit with file-hosting services.  (Read 1260 times)

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
More bullshit with file-hosting services.
« on: January 24, 2012, 12:22:14 am »
In the wake of the MegaUpload fiasco, We still have yet more trouble extending out to tons of other similar sites.

These are dark days indeed...

http://torrentfreak.com/filesonic-kills-file-sharing-after-megaupload-arrests-120122/

http://torrentfreak.com/cyberlocker-ecosystem-shocked-as-big-players-take-drastic-action-120123/

Offline starseeker

• God
Re: More bullshit with file-hosting services.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:58:15 am »
Tell me about it, there's been lots of discussion about what sites are reliable and aren't being scared off by the megaupload mess. It seems to be mostly coalescing now as links get passed around, though of the pre-existing big players, Rapidshare and Mediafire are looking most secure, Rapidshare because they've already had fights in court, and Mediafire doesn't have a payout scheme like most of the others that are shutting down. And of course torrents are picking up in popularity again.

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
Re: More bullshit with file-hosting services.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:49:53 am »
I suspect a lot of sites will be moving all their servers out of the US to avoid getting caught up in this mess.  I know if I was running any sort of cloud storage site, I'd be getting the hell out, even if I did everything possible to remove copyrighted content.  If all it takes is employees having knowledge of copyrighted files to trigger a raid, someone, somewhere, could host a copyrighted file and an employee could be bribed to testify that they knew about it.  I wouldn't put it past the RIAA/MPAA to do such a thing, especially considering the ridiculous amount of money an infringement lawsuit can bring in...