Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 642436 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #1740 on: February 16, 2013, 04:53:29 pm »
Okay you know what?

I'm hoping some bronies leave the fandom over this.  We could do with less bronies.

I honestly can't believe these people ever got into the show in the first place with the attitude they're displaying about this episode.  I'm not saying everyone who is nay-saying the episode is bad, but a lot of them are just... petty and whiney.  (Present company excepted, because even if I disagree, at least that opinion is well thought out)

This is a very polarizing episode, too.  Most people seem to either love it or hate it, I've encountered very few people with any in-between opinion.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #1741 on: February 16, 2013, 05:23:59 pm »
Well it's hiatus time now, so hopefully the community will quiet down a notch.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #1742 on: February 16, 2013, 05:25:37 pm »
I have no oppinion on it one way or another, because I haven't been able to watch it yet.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #1743 on: February 16, 2013, 06:29:59 pm »
Saw the ep. with my gf.  Not going to read all the posts because this chat exploded, but from skimming.

A)  Maybe the Derpy cameos will get the bronies bitching about her being gone to shut the fuck up.
B)  Does anyone know who sang for Celestia?  Was it Nicole Oliver, or someone else?
C)  This episode was almost like a musical.
D)  I love to death how this show puts an air of respectability and prestige to the title "princess."
E)  I was thinking of punny names for the destiny switches.  Apple Pie, Flutterpie, Rainity, Rainbow Shy, and Applejacket.

This was a great episode, and I sure hope it quells the dumbassery of people who haven't learned to fucking TRUST the show staff.  Oh yeah.  I'm not too disappointed it wasn't a cliffhanger, by the way.  It was too damned good for me to care.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1744 on: February 16, 2013, 06:36:13 pm »
It has the potential to be a false ending, I thought.  In other words, it seems like a conclusion, then Season 4 Episode 1 starts and reveals, no, the story for that arc is not quite over yet.

At least that's what I'm gathering by what Meghan said.

One of the things I like about FiM is that princesses are royals who actually do something other than sit around, look pretty, and have tea parties.  In fact, being a princess is serious business.

In that sense, Twilight becoming a princess is less of a reward and more of a... promotion.  And like all good promotions, it means she'll have a lot more responsibility to deal with.

This isn't an ending, but a new beginning.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

• The Beast
« Reply #1745 on: February 16, 2013, 06:45:23 pm »
It has the potential to be a false ending, I thought.  In other words, it seems like a conclusion, then Season 4 Episode 1 starts and reveals, no, the story for that arc is not quite over yet.

At least that's what I'm gathering by what Meghan said.

One of the things I like about FiM is that princesses are royals who actually do something other than sit around, look pretty, and have tea parties.  In fact, being a princess is serious business.

In that sense, Twilight becoming a princess is less of a reward and more of a... promotion.  And like all good promotions, it means she'll have a lot more responsibility to deal with.

This isn't an ending, but a new beginning.

Hm...good points.

I made my thoughts about the "princess being an honor" because of the speech Celestia gave.  They really hammered home just how important the title of princess actually is in Equestria.  It's not some petty title.

Speaking of princesses, Gen 3 got pretty close to this idea, if I recall.  In Princess Prominade, one of the ponies becomes a princess.  She quickly learns that it carries a heavy responsibility, though.  Now she abdicates her abilities, but the idea that a princess means something is emphasized in that movie.  I think this is a good indication that even G3 isn't as shallow as people like to pretend it is.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1746 on: February 16, 2013, 07:08:46 pm »
That's good to hear, actually.  Too bad I don't like the art style, or the character voices, or a lot about it.

I did like G1, though.  Used to watch it as a kid.

• The Beast
« Reply #1747 on: February 16, 2013, 10:22:32 pm »
That's good to hear, actually.  Too bad I don't like the art style, or the character voices, or a lot about it.

I did like G1, though.  Used to watch it as a kid.

Hey guess what?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gO6DE_SMLM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gO6DE_SMLM</a>

Go to about 2:55.  Tell me who it sounds like. :P

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1748 on: February 16, 2013, 10:31:31 pm »
I already knew that many of the voices for FiM were also in G3 :P

I didn't mean all the character voices, just certain ones.

EDIT:

There is something ironic.

Alicorn Twilight, combined with the whining bronies AND the happy bronies, and even the presence of the trolls trolling both sides, has actually reinvigorated my brony pride.

Go figure.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:55:36 am by Zachski »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1749 on: February 17, 2013, 03:13:54 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSVBcm_BZRs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSVBcm_BZRs</a>

Okay this is kinda awesome

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #1750 on: February 17, 2013, 03:48:43 pm »
Speaking of Metal pony music, this one is my favorite.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IZVCtPQfcM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IZVCtPQfcM</a>

Offline lazerfrog

• Neonate
« Reply #1751 on: February 17, 2013, 05:43:49 pm »
Having finally gotten to see the new episode, I can say I really liked it.  I can see why they decided to go with the "musical episode" format, since those usually make it easier to say a lot in a small amount of time.  FiM has always been interesting to me as a show that clearly wants to have some sort of overarching plotline without being able to stray from its kiddie show format.  I think that aspect of the show really came through in the finale.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #1752 on: February 17, 2013, 06:53:53 pm »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1753 on: February 17, 2013, 06:58:22 pm »
Totally a leaked clip from new spinoff guiz

I think my skeleton system was damaged from that.

Because laughing hurts.

ADDENDUM:

First order of business, I've decided that during the wait for Season 4, I'd start watching the previous MLP shows/movies and stuff, starting with G1 and working my way up to, yes, G3.  I remember liking G1 as a kid, and I want to see how far I can go beyond that before my limits are tested.

Second order of business, I am suddenly tempted to actually buy pony toys, and not just because I'm a brony.

I used to play with barbies when I was a little boy.  Whenever I'd play with my older female cousins, I'd go for the barbie dolls and stuff.  I don't know why.  Unfortunately, my then-conservative mother greatly discouraged this by buying me G.I. Joe and stuff like that.

Well, one of the things about adulthood is that you have an opportunity to indulge in the things you couldn't as a kid, right?  Ergo...

That being said, I am not a loud and proud brony.  I am incredibly self-conscious.  So my idea is to basically buy them for my non-existent little sister for her non-existent birthday.

That is, if I go through with this.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:22:28 pm by Zachski »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #1754 on: February 17, 2013, 07:39:17 pm »
If you're self-conscious, can't you just buy the toys off the internet? I don't think I'd have the nerve to walk into a store, pick 'em up and hand them to the cashier.