Author Topic: Petition to Legally reconise the WBC as a hate group  (Read 28296 times)

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
Petition to Legally reconise the WBC as a hate group
« on: December 16, 2012, 12:35:37 am »
Somebody has started a petition to have the Westboro Baptist Church legally reconised as a hate group.  Not sure how much good it'll do, but... *shrugs*

Offline lazerfrog

• Neonate
Re: Petition to Legally reconise the WBC as a hate group
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 02:00:24 am »
I expect this to go about as well as any online petition has.  Would being classified as a hate group really even change anything for them?  The organization itself might as well be the lovechild of the KKK and NAMBLA in the eyes of the American people, and both of the aforementioned groups are legally allowed to hold rallies.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 02:51:02 am »
Seems a bit superfluous to me to formally have the WBC called what everybody already knows it is. As far as I know, having it classified as a hate group won't effect Fred and Shirley's ability to picket funerals and memorials to say disgusting things and sue innocent victims for reacting to their bullshit. Maybe they won't be able to get AS CLOSE to their victims, but they'd still be allowed to keep doing what they're doing. I'd be much more in favour of something that stops them from being allowed to do this shit.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 05:29:05 am »
I don't think I can sign that one, unfortunately, as I am a Canuck... :( Might not make any difference in how they behave, but at least they would be labeled for what they are.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:19 am »
Seems a bit superfluous to me to formally have the WBC called what everybody already knows it is. As far as I know, having it classified as a hate group won't effect Fred and Shirley's ability to picket funerals and memorials to say disgusting things and sue innocent victims for reacting to their bullshit. Maybe they won't be able to get AS CLOSE to their victims, but they'd still be allowed to keep doing what they're doing. I'd be much more in favour of something that stops them from being allowed to do this shit.

If they become officially a hate group it would probably be easier to stop them from picketing.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 10:17:14 am »

If they become officially a hate group it would probably be easier to stop them from picketing.
Officially become a hate group according to who? The government, as far as I know, doesn't keep a list of active hate groups and pass legislation based on that. The Southern Poverty Law Center keeps a list of active hate groups, and their information is used by law enforcement throughout the United States, but the Westboro Baptist Church was designated a hate group ages ago. In addition, the federal government and many states have passed laws like the "Respect for America's Fallen Heroes Act" which targeted the Church's activities. Though being the First Amendment purist that I am, I don't even agree with limiting what they do since they engage in protected speech (Snyder v. Phelps).

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 11:46:50 am »
Thought SPLC already labeled them a hate group.

Ironbtie-this is just....not needed?

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 02:59:41 pm »
This seems awfully misguided to me...why fuel the quest for notoriety that is at the very core of the Phelps agenda? He's like a real life pro wrestling baddie, the more he's hated the happier he is.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 11:35:27 pm »
Officially become a hate group according to who? The government, as far as I know, doesn't keep a list of active hate groups and pass legislation based on that. The Southern Poverty Law Center keeps a list of active hate groups, and their information is used by law enforcement throughout the United States, but the Westboro Baptist Church was designated a hate group ages ago. In addition, the federal government and many states have passed laws like the "Respect for America's Fallen Heroes Act" which targeted the Church's activities. Though being the First Amendment purist that I am, I don't even agree with limiting what they do since they engage in protected speech (Snyder v. Phelps).

I don't know of any law which allows the federal government to maintain a list of "hate groups".  Now of course, the FBI routinely investigates extremist groups of all varieties, so I'm sure they have some familiarity with WBC as it is.

Whoever started this petition really has no idea what they are doing.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 12:05:21 am »
Signed, like a boss.  More recognition for the scum they are, never a bad thing.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 12:22:08 am »
Whoever started this petition really has no idea what they are doing.
Basically.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 10:59:27 am »
You can petition the government, but it basically does nothing.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 03:18:15 pm »
You can petition the government, but it basically does nothing.

In this case, there is really nothing the gov't can do.  It would be a violation of the First Amendment to make a law outlawing certain types of organizations (unless they were somehow insurrectionist).
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline lazerfrog

• Neonate
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 03:27:00 pm »
Would this petition succeeding take away their status as a church?  If so, it could potentially be a very good thing, since they'd no longer have a tax exemption.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 04:04:34 pm »
Personally, even if the First Amendment were violated to shut them up, I would not care.

I am not a purist of the First Amendment.

It is my personal belief, formed through experience and my personal life, that excessive freedom breeds license. License to act as you wish without consequence is dangerous and that fosters nothing but maggots drawling about who slowly drain a society to death, and Europe...Europe sees this, hence why in certain countries, you could be arrested for saying things like what Westboro says.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer