Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2066969 times)

Offline That Guy

• Bishop
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #6090 on: June 02, 2013, 03:15:01 pm »
It's not hard to understand what the vocalists of Immortal, Satyricon, Necrophobic and Dissection are saying a lot of the time. :P

also, yes, that picture I posted earlier is indeed making fun of Infowars, to whoever asked.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #6091 on: June 02, 2013, 03:33:13 pm »
Ha! I'm picturing metal songs about weekly bathing, shearing sheep, and peaceful trade.

With the vocals of a black metal band, I wouldn't be surprised if some bands just make up shit like that and then apply darker lyrics to it when they need to submit the text to websites.
Lamb of God has done that with songs off of their first album. I can't find live footage that shares the same lyrics as each other or the CD booklet.

I think the growled and screamed vocals are a lot like backmasking, where you hear whatever the text says you're supposed to hear. It sounds utterly indecipherable until you look at the lyrics and then you're like "Oh yeah, I can hear that word fine!"

There was a controversy a few years back about a doll that supposedly said "Islam is the light", but if you listened to the words with no subtitles it could've been saying anything - "my pants are too tight", "let's drink and fight", "Fox News is shite" - because only the end sound was all that audible.

Didn't stop all the drama of course.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #6092 on: June 02, 2013, 04:27:22 pm »
Ha! I'm picturing metal songs about weekly bathing, shearing sheep, and peaceful trade.

With the vocals of a black metal band, I wouldn't be surprised if some bands just make up shit like that and then apply darker lyrics to it when they need to submit the text to websites.
Lamb of God has done that with songs off of their first album. I can't find live footage that shares the same lyrics as each other or the CD booklet.

I think the growled and screamed vocals are a lot like backmasking, where you hear whatever the text says you're supposed to hear. It sounds utterly indecipherable until you look at the lyrics and then you're like "Oh yeah, I can hear that word fine!"
Not really. Yes, it takes some work to get used to growled/screamed words. However, listen to it enough and you'll be able to understand it without a transcription. Lamb of God, to continue the example, is a band I've listened to for so long that I don't need to read along to learn the words. Sometimes, when I first discover a new artist, I need some help acclimating to the singer's particular voice, but it's generally easy enough to decipher after one or two listens.
With that said, there are some genres where the vocals come out as grunts and shrieks, and I'll readily admit to not knowing the words (or liking those subgenres, usually). It is wholly possible that some such bands write lyrics retroactively, but my experience has been that the vast majority of metal bands write their lyrics first, then decide what kinds of vocals fit both the lyrics and the part of the song they're singing over.

Is it safe to assume you don't listen to much metal, or at least the styles that make frequent use of such vocal techniques?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6093 on: June 02, 2013, 04:54:26 pm »
And then the girlfriend gets arrested for theft and possibly charged with destruction of property if any of the items are damaged.

And then you find out that Kelsi actually just sent the guy a regular "Hey, what's up?" message and the girlfriend is a jealous sociopath.

You're adorable when you're full of righteous rage.

Offline That Guy

• Bishop
« Reply #6094 on: June 02, 2013, 05:07:32 pm »

Not really. Yes, it takes some work to get used to growled/screamed words. However, listen to it enough and you'll be able to understand it without a transcription. Lamb of God, to continue the example, is a band I've listened to for so long that I don't need to read along to learn the words. Sometimes, when I first discover a new artist, I need some help acclimating to the singer's particular voice, but it's generally easy enough to decipher after one or two listens.
With that said, there are some genres where the vocals come out as grunts and shrieks, and I'll readily admit to not knowing the words (or liking those subgenres, usually). It is wholly possible that some such bands write lyrics retroactively, but my experience has been that the vast majority of metal bands write their lyrics first, then decide what kinds of vocals fit both the lyrics and the part of the song they're singing over.

Is it safe to assume you don't listen to much metal, or at least the styles that make frequent use of such vocal techniques?
You hit the nail right on the head here, dude.  Once you get used to more extreme styles of music, you can at least tell that they're growling/screaming actual words and not making shit up as they go along.

And another random picture so I stay on topic!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6095 on: June 02, 2013, 05:09:05 pm »
And then the girlfriend gets arrested for theft and possibly charged with destruction of property if any of the items are damaged.

And then you find out that Kelsi actually just sent the guy a regular "Hey, what's up?" message and the girlfriend is a jealous sociopath.

That's not righteous rage. That's telling exactly what happens to someone who decides to fling their ex-boyfriend's shit around town after seeing another girl message him. It looks cute until reality crashes into it.

For all we know, Kelsi didn't even send him anything flirtatious. Or if she did, he didn't respond in the first place. Assuming that's a real letter (a lot of these aren't), we're getting only one side of the story. There could be something much darker and more interesting in the background.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6096 on: June 02, 2013, 05:10:51 pm »

THE BEAST OF SATAN ARISES
AND SETS UP A BRAND NEW
REVOLUTIONARY
MORTGAGE PLAAAAAAAAN!!!!

Conan O'Brien had some skit where he mentioned how metal music (Or was it just Led Zeppelin specifically?) sounds really awesome until you listen to the lyrics... Then he started dancing and singing in high pitched tone: "We come from the land of the ice and snow where the hey hey ho and the hay hay hay... And then Gollum stole all the magic dust from the land of Nevermore..."

I actually like that song. I think I prefer the Trent Reznor version.

:P

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6097 on: June 02, 2013, 05:17:53 pm »

You hit the nail right on the head here, dude.  Once you get used to more extreme styles of music, you can at least tell that they're growling/screaming actual words and not making shit up as they go along.

And another random picture so I stay on topic!

Actually he doesn't.  He just sets off ancient traps that they put in there for no reason.  Like seriously...WHY WOULD YOU NEED A BOULDER TO COME DOWN AND TRY AND CRUSH WHOEVER IS STEALING YOUR IDOL?

That's not righteous rage. That's telling exactly what happens to someone who decides to fling their ex-boyfriend's shit around town after seeing another girl message him. It looks cute until reality crashes into it.

For all we know, Kelsi didn't even send him anything flirtatious. Or if she did, he didn't respond in the first place. Assuming that's a real letter (a lot of these aren't), we're getting only one side of the story. There could be something much darker and more interesting in the background.

And how do you know it's not a message that detailed how good his cock felt in her mouth last night?  Hmmmm?

Ironbite-still a pretty good break-up letter.  More then I got.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6098 on: June 02, 2013, 07:04:14 pm »

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6099 on: June 02, 2013, 07:15:13 pm »

...That... is metal as fuck.

Also, nature is damn scary sometimes.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #6100 on: June 02, 2013, 08:02:23 pm »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6101 on: June 02, 2013, 08:26:45 pm »

Then there are the geese that will attack you if you get within like 50 feet of their goslings or the nest itself.

&

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6102 on: June 02, 2013, 08:33:42 pm »

Then there are the geese that will attack you if you get within like 50 feet of their goslings or the nest itself.

Well, yeah, they're geese.  Everyone expects geese to be ornery little pests who poop all over sidewalks.

Swans are generally considered to be majestic creatures...

...I like geese better actually because they're easier to find.  The most exotic bird I've seen locally, outside of hawks and one bald eagle, was a heron.  Just.... standing in the midst of some geese.  We actually stopped the car (nobody behind us) to stare at it for a moment.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #6103 on: June 02, 2013, 08:55:20 pm »

You do know we don't know the context, and the letter is just as full of the "righteous rage" you're accusing chit of.  Far as I'm concerned, other people's relationships are none of our damned business, whether for or against what this girl did.

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, ibby, you condescending tone was uncalled for.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:57:22 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #6104 on: June 03, 2013, 06:32:43 am »

Yep, pretty much.

It's worth mentioning  that men do literally see fewer shades of colour than women do, so if there were several shades of red, for example, a man might see them as all being the exact same shade where as a woman might be able to distinguish between each one.  Also, colour blindness is more common in men.

That doesn't actually have anything to do with the chart (I can see all of those shades and colours as different shades and colours), we men do just seem to lump more shades together into generic labels like "blue" than women seem to for some reason.

http://blog.xkcd.com/2010/05/03/color-survey-results/
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.