Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2064892 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #6555 on: July 16, 2013, 05:53:52 am »
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #6556 on: July 16, 2013, 10:12:39 am »

Distind

« Reply #6557 on: July 16, 2013, 10:41:11 am »
According to people far more vested in bitcoins than myself, it's supposedly nearly impossible to counterfeit: it uses a blockchain that holds a record of all transactions, so you can't just create new data and shove it in. The system is so decentralized that in order to counterfeit it, you'd need to actually edit the blockchain itself, which they estimate as taking most of the world's supercomputers to do.

This is the only reason bitcoin has lasted so long. You know that if it was possible to easily counterfeit bitcoins, it would have collapsed before the value ever came close to triple digits. A better solution is to con your way into stealing them.
Sure, it takes that much power now. Just what are they going to do in a decade or two when someone's phone has as much power as my desktop does? We haven't quite stomped down on the power curve, it's still growing fast enough that any thing that can be broken probably will be in far less than their intended life cycle. Plus if someone on the inside decided to do it I can assure you they know exactly how to do it, get away with it, and could probably do so from a smart phone.

Though it does blow my mind this is being done by people who don't even bother with proper server farms and leave their systems out to dust like that... I'm sure that'll all end well.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6558 on: July 16, 2013, 12:20:30 pm »
As I understand it (and I'll be the first to admit that I'm hardly an expert on this stuff), it's set up in such a way that there really aren't any "inside" guys. The whole thing is too complicated to explain (or, rather, try to explain without going insane and throwing myself out a window), so have a couple links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543334 -- Pretty good summary of the whole thing, with plenty of snark.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6559 on: July 16, 2013, 03:44:28 pm »
According to people far more vested in bitcoins than myself, it's supposedly nearly impossible to counterfeit: it uses a blockchain that holds a record of all transactions, so you can't just create new data and shove it in. The system is so decentralized that in order to counterfeit it, you'd need to actually edit the blockchain itself, which they estimate as taking most of the world's supercomputers to do.

This is the only reason bitcoin has lasted so long. You know that if it was possible to easily counterfeit bitcoins, it would have collapsed before the value ever came close to triple digits. A better solution is to con your way into stealing them.
Sure, it takes that much power now. Just what are they going to do in a decade or two when someone's phone has as much power as my desktop does? We haven't quite stomped down on the power curve, it's still growing fast enough that any thing that can be broken probably will be in far less than their intended life cycle. Plus if someone on the inside decided to do it I can assure you they know exactly how to do it, get away with it, and could probably do so from a smart phone.

Though it does blow my mind this is being done by people who don't even bother with proper server farms and leave their systems out to dust like that... I'm sure that'll all end well.

As Antechrist said, there ARE no "inside guys". The block chain works because in order to edit the chain to insert fake bitcoins, you'd need to edit every single block that comes after what you're editing. Imagine trying to add fake money to your bank account by creating a fake history for the money that dates back decades, including editing every single record of the money in every single account it was ever in and every single transaction it was ever in so it actually looks correct to anyone looking at the paper trail.....simultaneously. And every bank involved in the currency you're using has all of the complete records, so you need to modify it for all.

And said hacking gets harder as time goes on, because bitcoin works on a sort of "majority rules" system where it follows the longest block chain for determining verification. And as you add more computing power to a mining system, it increases the cryptography difficulty so it always remains at a consistent "One block processed every 10 minutes". So you're constantly needing more computing power because the editing you need your computer farm to do is increasing as you're in the middle of hacking it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:54:07 pm by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #6560 on: July 16, 2013, 04:28:36 pm »
How very odd, Nyarlathotep's human form is supposed to be a tall man with black skin.

Really? Huh.

*link NSFW due to language.

I believe in that story where he was a tall man with black skin, it was described as not with Negroid features. But anyway it is as someone said earlier. Nyarlathotep assumes thousands of forms. As to Lovecraft having racist tendencies. it is pretty much documented. He was a product of his time, anyhow.

That said. stop reading Lovecraft stories. everybody! You'll lose your sanity :D

In Lovecraft's partial defense, he WAS very much a product of his time and place, growing up in northern New England. His journals reveal that, after living in New York, his views toward other races became more enlightened.

Nobody escapes their upbringing. No matter what we do, we will always be influenced by it. The most we can do is recognize and account for that influence in our thoughts and actions.
Product of his time, sure. But his antisemitism was just insane. Especially considering that his wife was jewish.

Apparently he also hated the French, and The Shadow Over Innsmouth was intended as a cautionary tale against "race-mixing" inspired by Lovecraft's discovery that an ancestor of his was Welsh. The horror.

ETA: He also wrote this lovely poem:

(click to show/hide)

Not poem, but something similar that I always liked for its prose.

(click to show/hide)
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #6561 on: July 16, 2013, 08:05:15 pm »
Lovecraft describes him as looking like an Egyptian pharoah.

A friend of friend who makes movies now and then shows him that way here

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWijkeEzCb8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWijkeEzCb8</a>
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6562 on: July 16, 2013, 11:13:32 pm »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6563 on: July 17, 2013, 02:35:16 am »
Harry Potter + Arrested development:

(next one is my favourite)

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6564 on: July 17, 2013, 02:37:33 am »
So Benedict Cumberbatch was just on Top Gear.

Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Distind

« Reply #6565 on: July 17, 2013, 06:38:18 am »
As Antechrist said, there ARE no "inside guys". The block chain works because in order to edit the chain to insert fake bitcoins, you'd need to edit every single block that comes after what you're editing. Imagine trying to add fake money to your bank account by creating a fake history for the money that dates back decades, including editing every single record of the money in every single account it was ever in and every single transaction it was ever in so it actually looks correct to anyone looking at the paper trail.....simultaneously. And every bank involved in the currency you're using has all of the complete records, so you need to modify it for all.

And said hacking gets harder as time goes on, because bitcoin works on a sort of "majority rules" system where it follows the longest block chain for determining verification. And as you add more computing power to a mining system, it increases the cryptography difficulty so it always remains at a consistent "One block processed every 10 minutes". So you're constantly needing more computing power because the editing you need your computer farm to do is increasing as you're in the middle of hacking it.
You guys keep saying it like this would be particularly hard. Simply put, it's not that secure, it's just not worth the outlay and time it'd take to blow it open. Largely because no electronic security is that secure unless you've pulled the network cord. Give it one guy who decides to turn his botnet against them, the power can easily dwarf any supercomputer out there and would be entirely capable of the needed operations. I'm sure they're very proud of what they have, I'm also rather sure that they're well aware that reaching any significant level of public interest would probably spell disaster for them in any number of ways that the currency could be faked, subverted or simply killed off.

Electronic security isn't about perfection, it's about making it take long enough no one's willing to waste their time to break it. There is a hole, and if someone else finds it first you're hosed. If you're using a bunch of hacked together contraptions you've got enough holes for an army to march through if needed. I'm saying this as someone who's spent months removing holes from various supposedly secure structures.

Just be thankful most of the bot net idiots point their efforts at spamming people.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6566 on: July 17, 2013, 07:22:04 am »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6567 on: July 17, 2013, 10:08:12 am »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6568 on: July 17, 2013, 12:06:31 pm »

Answering the age old question: does water have a taste?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6569 on: July 17, 2013, 12:17:23 pm »

Answering the age old question: does water have a taste?

It tastes terrible and thankfully, too expensive...for Japanese water connoisseurs, who buy 30,000 year old glacier ice bottled water for thousands of dollars a case.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.