Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2068219 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #8625 on: March 14, 2014, 01:03:10 pm »
Well, you make a good point about that Picard comic Veras, but it is a joke about how in that particular scenario "fat shaming" is particularly stupid and counter productive.

Still, even if I think that at extreme obesity is dangerous and people should try to keep their weight in check insulting others over their weight is wrong and making fun of any physical feature of a person is kinda low blow.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8626 on: March 14, 2014, 01:09:48 pm »
To start with, I have two questions about Sonic's anatomy.  One, why are his thumbs backwards?  Two, why is there a horizontal, dripping vagina on his face?

On a more serious note, am I the only one annoyed by the sentiment expressed in the Picard one?  It's only slightly less shitty than the attitude that it is protesting, because it is still inherently judgmental and assumes the inferiority of overweight people.  Yes, you shouldn't make fun of overweight people who are at the gym.  However, you shouldn't do it because making fun of people for their weight is a shitty thing to do, not because they're trying to fix "the problem" that you have with the way that they look.

If someone is actively trying to lose weight for health reasons or whatever, then that's great, good for them.  But that's where it ends. 

Sorry, I'm having a hard time articulating my thoughts on this, but posts like that have always annoyed me.

The thing is, obesity is a problem. It's an actual, factual health problem, not just a thing about looking better than everyone else. People SHOULD strive to be healthier, simply because dying earlier is a pretty shitty thing and living your life in poor physical condition is also a bit shitty. If someone is working out and eating healthier, they're actively trying to improve their health and increase their life span.

The "problem" isn't appearance. It's health.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #8627 on: March 14, 2014, 01:35:40 pm »
Of course obesity is a public health problem.

But do you really think that the people who "fat shame," to use the sjw term, do it because they are considering the strains that the obesity epidemic puts on the public health system?  I don't.  I think that when people make fun of overweight people for being fat, they're doing it because they're assholes and they don't like they way that the victims of their bullying look.

The last time I checked, I was slightly underweight.  I eat an awful, fatty, greasy, meat-based diet, and I rarely get any exercise at all.  I certainly never do anything with the express goal of getting exercise (If I ride my bike or play a game of basketball, it's because I want to ride my bike or play basketball).  Nobody judges me for it.  Nobody tells me to change anything.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8628 on: March 14, 2014, 03:15:29 pm »

But do you really think that the people who "fat shame," to use the sjw term, do it because they are considering the strains that the obesity epidemic puts on the public health system?  I don't.  I think that when people make fun of overweight people for being fat, they're doing it because they're assholes and they don't like they way that the victims of their bullying look.

The last time I checked, I was slightly underweight.  I eat an awful, fatty, greasy, meat-based diet, and I rarely get any exercise at all.  I certainly never do anything with the express goal of getting exercise (If I ride my bike or play a game of basketball, it's because I want to ride my bike or play basketball).  Nobody judges me for it.  Nobody tells me to change anything.

....I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #8629 on: March 14, 2014, 03:21:33 pm »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #8630 on: March 14, 2014, 03:36:53 pm »
My point is that people who make fun of people for being fat are not doing it because they have any concern with the real costs and problems associated with obesity.  They do it because they consider themselves to be superior to the people that they target, which is not okay.  If their concern was the health and well-being of the individual in question, making fun of them, which is mean-spirited by definition, would not be their response.

My problem with the image is that it still has that assumption of superiority, assumes the same "problem," and it implies that it is okay to make fun of fat people who are not at the gym.

I would also point out that being fat isn't the same thing as obese.  Being fat the culturally-defined status of weighing more than is considered attractive, so while obese people presumably will be considered fat, so too will some people at healthy weights.

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #8631 on: March 14, 2014, 06:05:28 pm »

Los...los...los... :)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jP-eOrv2Ok" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jP-eOrv2Ok</a>
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8632 on: March 14, 2014, 06:30:29 pm »

....I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

I'm guessing Veras meant that concern trolls apply the "health" argument inconsistently; there are plenty of skinny people out there that don't work out and actively maintain their appearance and they get no criticism on that front.

When it comes down to it, obese people are just easier to bully, and lots of bullies jump at the chance.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8633 on: March 14, 2014, 07:00:24 pm »
My point is that people who make fun of people for being fat are not doing it because they have any concern with the real costs and problems associated with obesity.  They do it because they consider themselves to be superior to the people that they target, which is not okay.  If their concern was the health and well-being of the individual in question, making fun of them, which is mean-spirited by definition, would not be their response.

My problem with the image is that it still has that assumption of superiority, assumes the same "problem," and it implies that it is okay to make fun of fat people who are not at the gym.

I would also point out that being fat isn't the same thing as obese.  Being fat the culturally-defined status of weighing more than is considered attractive, so while obese people presumably will be considered fat, so too will some people at healthy weights.

I think you read waaaaay too far into the picture.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #8634 on: March 14, 2014, 10:53:13 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #8635 on: March 15, 2014, 12:07:04 am »

I think you read waaaaay too far into the picture.

That's certainly possible.  Earlier this week, somebody that I knew in high school posted something (an article, for lack of a better word) with a similar tone, though considerably more fleshed out.  It was meant to be inspiring and uplifting, but just came across to me as condescending (good for you, you've decided to be more like me!).  The argument that I've expressed was my reaction to the article, and the picture may have just struck a nerve because I saw it so recently.

Either way, it still feels unduly judgmental to me.  If the reason that it is not okay to make fun of a fat person is the fact that they're trying to lose weight, that pretty clearly implies that there is nothing wrong with making fun of fat people who aren't.

I also have a problem with how society defines fat, but that's another issue completely.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #8636 on: March 15, 2014, 01:02:51 am »
(click to show/hide)
I know there's a joke about MRAs here...

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #8637 on: March 15, 2014, 05:56:14 pm »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #8638 on: March 15, 2014, 06:17:33 pm »
Hipsters is a pretty accurate description of "Left-wing, Capitalist", considering the expensive, tacky clothes they buy and wear.

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #8639 on: March 15, 2014, 06:29:00 pm »
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy