Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2065427 times)

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #3210 on: August 13, 2012, 03:11:05 pm »
But the Enterprise is full of good guys and the Star Destroyer is full of bad guys.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheGoodGuysAlwaysWin
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #3211 on: August 13, 2012, 03:30:12 pm »
Since people returned to this image:

1. I've not gotten into that show, but I've heard good things about it despite having a stupid fanbase. Pass.
2. I'm not a huge Harry Potter fanperson. Pass.
3. I've not gotten into that show either, but I almost feel like watching a few episodes regardless of this forum's attitudes towards Bronies. Pass.
4. Anyone who isn't so goody-good and wears a decent costume.
5. Ents are so kewl (not when you're getting chopped for lumber).
6. A monster that has nothing to do with Twilight or related purple prose.
7. Blau (because I love that blue, not because some sappy goody-good crap).
8. The in-jokes I share with my friends.
9. Psychic.
10. Never got into World of Warcraft, and I've already made an oath to myself to never play another MMORPG. Pass.

I'm bad at being a "geek."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3212 on: August 13, 2012, 04:00:20 pm »
Re: Star Destroyer Vs. Enterprise:

While yes the Star Destroyer is in fact a warship and will probably be able to hit the Enterprise and blow it into kingdom come, you also have to remember that it's about as maneuverable as a tugboat.  All the enterpirse has to do is get below it and pound it's very lightly armed underside and bam, thing's gone.  Add to the fact that phasers are able to target specific sections of the ISD, and you've got one big problem for the pride of the Empire.

Ironbite-well...unless Vader's on board then the Enterprise is screwed.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #3213 on: August 13, 2012, 04:19:25 pm »
But the Enterprise is full of good guys and the Star Destroyer is full of bad guys.

I won't call everyone on board a Star Destroyer "bad", most are just punch clock villians.

Offline Deus ex Populo

• Bishop
    • My Tumblr, for what it's worth...
« Reply #3214 on: August 13, 2012, 04:51:55 pm »
Re: Star Destroyer Vs. Enterprise:
While yes the Star Destroyer is in fact a warship and will probably be able to hit the Enterprise and blow it into kingdom come, you also have to remember that it's about as maneuverable as a tugboat.  All the enterpirse has to do is get below it and pound it's very lightly armed underside and bam, thing's gone.  Add to the fact that phasers are able to target specific sections of the ISD, and you've got one big problem for the pride of the Empire.

That, however, would rely on Enterprise's weapons even being powerful enough to get through the ISD's shields and armor in an appreciable amount of time. If not, the whole effort becomes futile on the level of, say, attacking a main battle tank with sharpened rocks. Or sniper rifles, if one is feeling charitable.

There's also the constant harassment from the ship's complement of other craft to take in to account: one TIE fighter may be nothing on its own, but 72 of them (assuming this is an Imperial II of the type we see in The Empire Strikes Back) could very well ruin Enterprise's day through sheer force of numbers.
"Scientific truth is beyond loyalty and disloyalty." - Hari Seldon, Foundation

"[A] blunderbuss or cannon is hardly likely to be used for a drive-by shooting."
- From Wikipedia

Offline That Guy

• Bishop
« Reply #3215 on: August 13, 2012, 04:58:05 pm »

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #3216 on: August 13, 2012, 05:03:59 pm »

I won't call everyone on board a Star Destroyer "bad", most are just punch clock villians.

Maybe, but that's splitting hairs in the black and white (or rather, dark and light) world of Star Wars morality.  They're literally nameless, faceless drones who serve the empire, and nobody cares if they all die.

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #3217 on: August 13, 2012, 06:23:35 pm »

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3218 on: August 13, 2012, 07:24:17 pm »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #3219 on: August 13, 2012, 09:50:12 pm »

In terms of sheer size and power, a Star destroyer blows most Trek ships out of the water. I don't think Lucas was limited by any kind of loyalty to realism or even reasonable thought when designing SW stuff, it was more about what looked cool.

A Borg Cube on the other hand, that would be more of a challenge. Much more comparable size and crew wise, much better shields, transporters, drones and their nano-tech.

A Cube might even be able to take on the death star

My response:

Assuming, for the moment, that the Enterprise is at least capable of SURVIVING 60 seconds of combat with a Star Destroyer, then what will most likely happen is that the Enterprise runs away and devises a technobabble workaround - modulating their shields to counter disruptor fire, beaming a torpedo on board the Star Destroyer, you get the idea - that then defeats the Star Destroyer. Because the Star Destroyer is crewed by soldiers, while the Enterprise is crewed by scientists and engineers.
Isn't the Enterprise also supposed to serve as a science and exploration vessel, instead of a warship? It can obviously put up a good fight, but it wasn't built primarily as a war machine. A typical Star Destroyer is equipped with 60 laser batteries and 10 fighter squadrons, and that's without factoring the ground forces they can carry.
As to the transporter idea, those don't work through shields IIRC; they wouldn't be able to leave any toys in an ISD without either dropping the shields or sending them in preemptively, which has never been Picard's style.

Some things I feel I required to point out and for this I want to go beyond just the Enterprise and will, instead, talk about the Federation as a whole:

1: In Star Trek we have seen the Federation use a number of different combat tactics at both close and long range. In the TNG episode The Wounded, for example, we see a Nebula-class starship, the U.S.S. Phoenix, engaging a Cardassian warship at a range of around 300,000 km while in the DS9 episode Sacrifice of Angels we see a Federation fleet engaging a Dominion fleet at point blank range while also using a number of attack fighters in their opening assault. I have never seen any Star Destroyer of any type in Star Wars that engaged a target that wasn't right on top of them so this tells me that the Feds have the advantage in range when it comes to their weapons.

2: The Feds have fighters at their disposal.

3: The Feds have shown an ability to field stupidly large number of ships by the time they were at war with the Dominion. Starfleet's Seventh Fleet fielded 112 ships during an engagement with the Dominion. By the time Starfleet decided to launch Operation Return they had a fleet of ships numbering in excess of 300. I seem to recall that the Empire's fleet at the Battle of Endor boasted the largest imperial fleet assembled. I just looked it up and, not counting the Death Star (I'm not including space stations), there were a grand total of 37 ships fighting for the Emperor. Even if we discount my recollection, this was supposed to be the battle that would crush the Rebel Alliance for good, so you'd want the largest fleet you could get. That tells me that the Feds would outnumber the Empire in that battle by just over 8 to 1. Those are some pretty damn good odds if you ask me, especially considering the Feds could park outside of the Empire's weapons range and rain hell down on them.

4: The Enterprise-D (pictured) was a Galaxy-class starship. The Galaxy-class were an exploration and science vessels but they were considered one of the Federation's most powerful ships and stayed at that spot with over 6 ships commissioned and even served as the backbone of the Federation's war efforts as capitol ships until the development of the Defiant-class. Defiant-class starships were developed when the Starfleet Corps of Engineers basically said "Why don't we just strap some big guns to a bigger engine?" The Defiant-class was designed as nothing more than a warship to be small, very hard hitting, and as agile as a fighter with the stated goal of taking on fucking Borg CUBES. Gul Dukat called it the most powerful warship in the quadrant. And then the SCOE said "The Defiant was a good start. Okay, that's good. But how about if we make something even more badass?" And then they came up with the Akira-class, a ship designed to be a carrier/flying torpedo launcher. It has fifteen torpedo tubes on it so it can provide cover for fighters as they launch and are recovered. And then the SCOE said "Okay, that's good too. But how about if we make something even more badass?" And then they came up with the Prometheus-class, a ship that can separate into three warp capable sections each one powerful enough to tackle a Romulan Warbird on their own. And then the Sovereign-class was commissioned and the SCOE saw that it was good and on the seventh day they rested.

"I've found it wise never to under estimate the Federation's technical skill." ~ Gul Dukat
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #3220 on: August 13, 2012, 09:51:17 pm »
How long did writing that take?

Offline Kristine

• The Beast
« Reply #3221 on: August 13, 2012, 10:12:20 pm »
Yoga w/cat
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2rMAzWm3a8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2rMAzWm3a8</a>

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #3222 on: August 13, 2012, 10:12:29 pm »
How long did writing that take?

...not as long as it would have for someone who wasn't a Trekkie since the late '80's and early '90's. :-[
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #3223 on: August 13, 2012, 10:32:00 pm »
'Tis a dude that knows his Trek.  Geek Respect, man.  *Thumbs up*

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3224 on: August 13, 2012, 11:00:10 pm »
What I want to know is how would the battle turn out if it was a naval battle similar to the ones fought in WWII and what types of ships would they be.