Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 386852 times)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #510 on: January 26, 2017, 08:08:16 am »
Yeah i love how when the democrats want to spend money fixing things they're all like "No we have to cut spending! " but now that trump is in office they're like "eh well find the money somehow."
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #511 on: January 26, 2017, 04:42:47 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/315963-gop-pans-democrats-1-trillion-infrastructure-package

You know how Trump talked about spending as much as a trillion dollars on infrastructure? Probably one of the things he talked about most, alongside building the wall, getting out of TPP, and renegotiating NAFTA.

Well, the Democrats proposed doing just that.

And the GOP shot it down.

I hope they don't do that infrastructure plan. Large infrastructure rebuilding projects should be used in a Keynesian sense. That is, when there is a recession and high unemployment, where the infrastructure project is a means of spending to modernize the economy while allowing the government to spend its way out of said recession. An infrastructure project now, when unemployment is 4.7% pushes us dangerously close to full employment, meaning that inflation is on the horizon. Further, at a time like this, where wages are starting to recover, where unemployment is low, and where the recession is over, it's just a giant money giveaway to large industries that work in machinery and government contractors. While this is true even in times of recession, the creation of jobs and government stimulus make up for this in the long term. However, I don't believe Trump's motive for an infrastructure plan is to help the economy or create jobs, but to stimulate a sector of the economy that he likely owns substantial stock in. I have no evidence for this belief, but come on, it's Donald Trump.

Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #512 on: January 26, 2017, 05:00:09 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/315963-gop-pans-democrats-1-trillion-infrastructure-package

You know how Trump talked about spending as much as a trillion dollars on infrastructure? Probably one of the things he talked about most, alongside building the wall, getting out of TPP, and renegotiating NAFTA.

Well, the Democrats proposed doing just that.

And the GOP shot it down.

I hope they don't do that infrastructure plan. Large infrastructure rebuilding projects should be used in a Keynesian sense. That is, when there is a recession and high unemployment, where the infrastructure project is a means of spending to modernize the economy while allowing the government to spend its way out of said recession. An infrastructure project now, when unemployment is 4.7% pushes us dangerously close to full employment, meaning that inflation is on the horizon. Further, at a time like this, where wages are starting to recover, where unemployment is low, and where the recession is over, it's just a giant money giveaway to large industries that work in machinery and government contractors. While this is true even in times of recession, the creation of jobs and government stimulus make up for this in the long term. However, I don't believe Trump's motive for an infrastructure plan is to help the economy or create jobs, but to stimulate a sector of the economy that he likely owns substantial stock in. I have no evidence for this belief, but come on, it's Donald Trump.

Well, according to the American Society of Civil Engineers, as of 2013 (and since not much has been done since, I believe, it's only gotten worse), civic infrastructure in the US got a grade of D+ and would require an investment of $3.6 trillion by 2020 to fix. It's not a matter of spending to boost employment, or spending your way out of a recession, or what have you--it's a matter of fixing infrastructure that has to be fixed.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #513 on: January 26, 2017, 05:29:21 pm »
Cept he won't.  It'll be to his pet project.  That's it.

Ironbite-he cares nothing for himself.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #514 on: January 26, 2017, 07:03:01 pm »
The "J" in "Donald J. Trump" stands for "Joffrey." #alternativefacts
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #515 on: January 26, 2017, 07:12:37 pm »
Looks like that prospect of a trade war with Mexico just got a whole lot more real. From the Guardian:

Enrique Peña Nieto cancelled a meeting with Donald Trump and the White House retaliated by suggesting a new 20% tax on imports from its southern neighbour to finance the construction of a border wall.

Looks like he has the authority within the letter of the law to impose tariffs without congressional approval too.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #517 on: January 27, 2017, 01:30:53 am »
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/1/26/1625349/-West-Wing-leaker-silenced-after-pulling-back-the-curtain-Trump-irrational-staff-demoralized

AAAAAAAAAH!

Someone was, for a short while, making tweets supposedly revealing what was happening inside the white house.

If these are true I don't think Trump will last 8 years...

The more I read about Trump the more it reminds me of Nero, Caligula and other insane emperors... And you've got lead poisoning going on in Flint as well so maybe this is just an attmpt at re-enacting the fall of the Roman empire?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #518 on: January 27, 2017, 03:01:00 am »
I want to point out, so it's clear, that we have no way of knowing if those tweets are actually true. That said, I choose to believe that they are, in the lack of any evidence to the contrary.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #519 on: January 27, 2017, 03:17:42 am »

If these are true I don't think Trump will last 8 years...

I doubt he's the only politician who's a member of a conservative party who really thinks that, most of them are all about the Benjamins but know to get elected you need to spout conservative talking points about abortion being bad.

Ditto capital punishment being a deterrent, ditto climate change.

This is worrying though.

Is Trump going to mount an invasion of those parts of America that didn't vote for him?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:22:02 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #520 on: January 27, 2017, 03:21:53 am »
I want to point out, so it's clear, that we have no way of knowing if those tweets are actually true. That said, I choose to believe that they are, in the lack of any evidence to the contrary.

Well if the White house brings actual solid proof that these Tweets are simply lies and slander then wouldn't that just be alt-facts?

EDIT: also, have we reached the point where we can agree that USA is going through a revolution or coup as several major agencies are refusing orders from the president? You have park rangers and NASA going rogue to publish scientific data (which, I admit, is among the stranger ways to rebel but let's just go with it) and even though no shots have been fired yet Trump is clearly losing control of the country and he has only just been the president for a week...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:15:44 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #521 on: January 27, 2017, 04:23:16 am »
Yeah i love how when the democrats want to spend money fixing things they're all like "No we have to cut spending! " but now that trump is in office they're like "eh well find the money somehow."
To be fair, the other side does it too. People seem to be far less critical of the TPP than they once were now that Trump has pulled America out of it.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #522 on: January 27, 2017, 04:39:30 am »
To be fair, the other side does it too. People seem to be far less critical of the TPP than they once were now that Trump has pulled America out of it.

Yeah. For my money that's the one good thing Trump has done so far.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #523 on: January 27, 2017, 09:14:32 am »
@askold: It ain't just Flint.  Lead is a gigantic problem in the US...and not from water.  The greatest threat of contamination actually comes from old paint that we could have removed a long fucking time ago, if certain people upstairs gave a shit.  Its kind of worryingly hilarious that there's theories floating about that lead consumption could've been a leading cause of the fall of the Roman Empire.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #524 on: January 27, 2017, 10:46:38 am »

Yeah. For my money that's the one good thing Trump has done so far.

Cept it wasn't him who did it.  He just signed the order.

Ironbite-once again taking credit for shit he has no hand in at all.