Author Topic: Apocryphal Stories from Fundamentalist Religion  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Apocryphal Stories from Fundamentalist Religion
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:12:31 pm »
There are some stories that get propagated around that are blatant lies dedicated to being internal apologetics, convincing people who already believe in what you say to just believe in it more.

Sad to say I was naive enough to buy some of these.

This is the thread for those stories.  The stories don't necessarily have to be religious, but they should be the kind that would be propagated by fundamentalist religion.

Here's one I remember.

There was a Christian visiting Asia when there was an entertainer who was whipping himself with a Cat 'O' Nine Tails for the public.

The entertainer was laughing the entire time, as if he was feeling no pain.  Disturbed, the Christian began to pray, and the demon possession the entertainer was forced out by the power of God's will and began screaming in agony.

Another one I remember is a pastor (of a pentecostal church for reasons that shall soon be obvious) was sitting in the sanctuary when a foreign woman came up to him with questions.  So he answered them as best as he could and ended up bringing her to Christ.
(click to show/hide)
She smiled at him, said she was glad to have met someone who could speak her language in this country, and left.  He didn't speak that language, but was gifted with the gift of tongues and understanding for that encounter.

These were taught to me by the Youth Pastor who was teaching sunday school in the pentecostal church I used to go to...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
Re: Apocryphal Stories from Fundamentalist Religion
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:00:53 pm »
I heard one about an Indian man who was trapped by a cobra against a cliff. He started praying to all of his gods, and then he remembered a Christian missionary telling him about Jesus. So, desperate, he prayed to Jesus, and the cobra calmed down and went away, and then of course the man became a Christian after that.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:07:12 pm »
There was a Christian visiting Asia when there was an entertainer who was whipping himself with a Cat 'O' Nine Tails for the public.

The entertainer was laughing the entire time, as if he was feeling no pain.  Disturbed, the Christian began to pray, and the demon possession the entertainer was forced out by the power of God's will and began screaming in agony.
All I can think is "nice job breaking it, hero". If the guy wasn't in pain, and now, thanks to Mr. Upstanding Christian, he is, how does that make Mr. Upstanding Christian a good guy?

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 12:14:24 am »
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/glurge.asp

You can find a seemingly endless supply there.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 12:19:57 am »
I'm thinking of trolling my friends by replacing Jesus/God with Odin/Thor...
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 01:17:15 am »
Oh god. This.