Author Topic: Christian News Network fundies  (Read 156155 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Christian News Network fundies
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2017, 06:55:55 am »
Jeez, you really don't have a robust understanding of law; that girl has a solid, solid case against her poetry professor.

OK, this is the part where you tell us what that is.

She was being sarcastic.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2017, 07:45:29 am »
She's fucking with you. Queen's the sarcastic type, y'see.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ambulance Chaser

• Bishop
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2017, 09:06:15 am »
Sorry, folks, I stand corrected.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2017, 10:25:52 am »
Jeez, you really don't have a robust understanding of law; that girl has a solid, solid case against her poetry professor.

OK, this is the part where you tell us what that is.

I'm not one to write long treatises on law explaining the issue. Nevertheless, I'll point you in the right direction. Poetry often invokes symbols and imagery as means of expression, chiefly birds. Therefore, I suggest you begin your research into this question by boning up on your understanding of bird law.

ETA: Well, fudge. Everyone here had to go and let the bird out of the bag.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:27:48 am by The_Queen »
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Bob J.

• Bishop
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2017, 03:47:23 pm »
Hey Ambulance Chaser, I see some of your comments are being silently deleted.
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ―Obi-Wan Kenobi

Offline Ambulance Chaser

• Bishop
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2017, 07:23:59 pm »
Hey Ambulance Chaser, I see some of your comments are being silently deleted.

"Silently" is a good word for it. Their rules, if they exist at all, are hidden, secret, and enforced without any consistency. I can see why they tossed the whole conversation between Zampogna and Jason Todd about what an idiot Jason was being. While true, it was getting a bit nasty.

I sort of understand why they got rid of my comment to Meamsane and Jason Todd about how, if they wanted to talk about me, to say it to my face, because that comment was a bit belligerent on my part.

What I don't understand is when that idiot Coach asked me what I would say if the Supreme Court, the Senate, and the President all thought I should be put to death, would that be legal? I responded, "I would say that you've moved the conversation into a level of absurdity that no longer requires a serious answer." They deleted that comment as well, which I see no problem with. There's no need for me to have to indulge in ludicrous, nonsense hypotheticals that don't exist in any reality close to this one and I don't think it's fair that I should be expected to.

Offline Ambulance Chaser

• Bishop
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2017, 07:27:56 pm »
By the way, this position that has taken hold over at CNN that Supreme Court rulings, for one reason or another, are not law/not binding/can be ignored is about as absurd as it possibly can get. This is simply not a legal argument that exists. No lawyer, anywhere in America, believes this. We don't sit around discussing whether a certain SCOTUS ruling is "constitutional" or not, and we don't EVER file briefs in which we advocate ignoring the highest case law on a given subject.

It would be like walking into a discussion of civil engineers and stopping the conversation until they convince you that the Pythagorean Theorum is actually correct, then refusing to accept that it is.

Offline Bob J.

• Bishop
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2017, 07:49:14 pm »
By the way, this position that has taken hold over at CNN that Supreme Court rulings, for one reason or another, are not law/not binding/can be ignored...

Unfortunately I am finding that attitude appearing on several other websites as well. I really liked your response explaining the limits to the court.  Clearly I think our system is better, however, we could have a "Game of Thrones" trial by combat. Sarah Palin vs. Jason Stallman (for NYT). Or how about just a simple coin toss.
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ―Obi-Wan Kenobi

Offline Ambulance Chaser

• Bishop
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2017, 08:13:40 pm »
Unfortunately I am finding that attitude appearing on several other websites as well. I really liked your response explaining the limits to the Court.

I was worried about it too, but then I asked my buddy at work today if he was. He shrugged and said, "How many years have the Sovereign Citizens been trying this same nonsense? And how far have they gotten? And they don't restrict their nonsense to being keyboard warriors, they ACTUALLY try their crap in court!"

So then I felt better.

ETA: Sorry, I forgot to say thanks for the compliment. But thanks. :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:02:04 am by Ambulance Chaser »

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2017, 10:59:14 pm »
I wonder if there is anyplace to take the Christian News Network staff to task about their ovezealous moderation.  I guess it's their show and they can run it as they like, but they excuse some of the WORST behavior from Christians.  In fact I think that's what makes the place so satisfying to hang out, the non-fundies always behave so much better than the fundies do.
Banana Monster ne répond plus!

Offline Bob J.

• Bishop
« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2017, 12:17:54 am »
I guess it's their show

Face it, Christian News Network is click bait. Reflect on their economic model - every time  you type a reply, up arrow, down arrow, or hit the “more comments” button you are putting money in their pocket. A lively back and forth with some idiot makes them money.

Look at all the pop up ads. Go do a web search for some strange product and see how fast ads for that product show up at CNN. Go to a strange computer (library, etc.) and see the default ads. Now you know their demographics.

If you get banned, you will be right back faster that my computer’s refresh rate. afchief made them a lot of money. At some point the mods will shut down crazy, but they, if they are smart and they appear to be, they will be watching the numbers and like with AC's posts earlier today simply silently delete back and forth name calling. Currently the mods don’t want to lose either punter.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:35:36 pm by Bob J. »

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2017, 12:37:26 am »
It is a horrible, horrible site for clickbait, yeah.  Its founder's name is Michael Marcavage, and he's also the founder of something called Repent America.  A total wingnut.

The stories on there tend to be written by two people, Heather Clark and some other guy, I forget his name.

Offline Bob J.

• Bishop
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2017, 04:43:46 am »
Direct from CNN: Planned Parenthood Gives ….
Round 8: Sharon_at_home verse Amos Moses - He>i

They are way off topic, but throwing scripture quotes at a near blinding rate.
This fight is not win-able. While I like Sharon’s position somewhat better (she does have an inerrant view of scripture, conflicted ideas on free will, etc). I actually think Amos has a somewhat more accurate (and totally appalling) take on scripture and free will as applied to Christian theology.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:49:30 am by Bob J. »

Offline BobRumba

• God
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2017, 08:04:08 am »
Direct from CNN: Planned Parenthood Gives ….
Round 8: Sharon_at_home verse Amos Moses - He>i

They are way off topic, but throwing scripture quotes at a near blinding rate.
This fight is not win-able. While I like Sharon’s position somewhat better (she does have an inerrant view of scripture, conflicted ideas on free will, etc). I actually think Amos has a somewhat more accurate (and totally appalling) take on scripture and free will as applied to Christian theology.
Don't you love that though, in some ways? For years at that place it was fundies vs. everyone else but now there is Sharon so it's crazy Christians vs. Not quite as crazy Christians.  And Amos isn't just pretending No True Scotsman doesn't exist anymore, he is actively proving it.

shykid

« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2017, 10:14:54 am »
Bible archery is probably the second official sport of fundie Christians after mental gymnastics. If you blindly throw out enough Bible verses, surely one of them might hit the target.