Author Topic: National Elections Thread  (Read 78303 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: National Elections Thread
« Reply #735 on: November 14, 2016, 08:42:25 pm »
Actually name an ism that's bad and a quarter of America has accepted it.  And that quarter is enough to get an absolute incompatant into office.

Ironbite-oh and the answer is no, I'd never vote for Trump.  Ever.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #736 on: November 14, 2016, 11:24:21 pm »
Frankly, given the question hinges on Herr Trumps possible future competency or more likely lack of it, I don't think you need worry.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #737 on: November 15, 2016, 10:51:24 am »
If Donald Trump turned out to be the exact oppossite of what he acts like, then sure I might support him.  Odds seem very low however.  The man has a long hstory of racism, sexual assualt, recklessness, fraud, vindictive cruelty, ignorence and just about every other terrible thing you can name.  I don't see the leopard changing it's spots now that it has more power.

Also the cartoon Adventure Time accurately predicted how the election would go
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=450y8jasHpQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=450y8jasHpQ</a>

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #738 on: November 16, 2016, 12:20:56 am »
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/us/politics/trump-transition.html

And Trump's stumbling out of the damn gate. Apparently he had no idea and never bothered to find out that his transition team had to replace the entire White House staff.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #739 on: November 16, 2016, 02:35:45 am »
...Didn't anyone brief him? When he became the Republican candidate didn't his party tell him how to do this? You might convince me that Trump would not listen to instructions but the rest of his team has no excuse for this ...If it's even true.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #740 on: November 16, 2016, 02:46:18 am »
...Didn't anyone brief him? When he became the Republican candidate didn't his party tell him how to do this? You might convince me that Trump would not listen to instructions but the rest of his team has no excuse for this ...If it's even true.

That assumes he could be bothered to listen to the rest of his team.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #741 on: November 16, 2016, 02:57:59 am »
It's also been reported that he didn't want to jinx his victory chances by planning the transition beforehand. My guess is that his staff didn't believe they could win and didn't bother pressuring him on this.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #742 on: November 16, 2016, 11:01:58 am »
Well good news is Ben Carson turned down a cabinet position in Trump's white house stating the reason that he felt he wouldn't be qualified for such a position.
Then why the fuck did you run for president Carson, why did you run for president?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #743 on: November 16, 2016, 03:09:28 pm »
I get the feeling that Carson, like Trump had no idea how much work goes into being President or working for the President before starting talks about joining the Cabinet. When he was told how much work it would be, he probably decided it wasn't what he wanted to sign up for.
Who needs a signature?

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #744 on: November 16, 2016, 04:04:56 pm »
Meanwhile in Finland... (The story is in Finnish)

The day after the US presidential election someone makes a Tweet in his personal account: "20 minutes before the closing time a dude steps in with a Make America Great Again cap in his head. I wanted to spit in his burger." The account is anonymous except the owner's first name, Eeli.

A couple of days later someone posts a thread about the tweet to Ylilauta, the Finnish version of 4chan, asking for help in reporting Eeli to his employer. The board members get to work and successfully dig out Eeli's full name, employer and background. He is a transman working in a Hesburger (Finnish fast food chain) restaurant so they start spreading his phone number and dead name around outing him publicly as a transsexual. Three people tweet to Hesburger complaining about his tweet and use his dead name instead of his current, official one.

Sebastian Tynkkynen, the chair of the Finns/True Finns/Perussuomalaiset party's youth organization tweets asking about sources. He makes a post about this in Facebook whining about feminists' double standards and uses naturally Eeli's dead name. He also claims all the info is openly linked to Eeli's twitter account.

Meanwhile Eeli, his friends and people who made supporting tweets to him are targeted by a transphobic hate campaign. Eeli changes his phone number and applies for security measures for his personal information in the magistrate. Hesburger and Eeli terminate his employment contract with a mutual agreement causing Ylilauta to celebrate Hesburger "firing" him.

A tabloid writes a story about this using only Tynkkynen as their source with no mention about the hate campaign. He says he published the story in Facebook because Hesburger didn't respond to his tweets. Without all the details the tolerant feminist conspiracy theoretics would distort the truth so he had to share everything. He also says that an employee has to think about how they represent their employer in the social media.

The tabloid is notified about Tynkkynen's lies and they add a small notice to their story that Tynkkynen's claims about the information being publicly available can't be confirmed.

The internet trolls acting like sociopathic assholes is one thing and Finnish trolls worshiping Trump is depressing. A politician turning this into a publicity stunt is fucking despicable.

Everything you need to know about Tynkkynen as a person: before his political career he was known for crapping his pants in Big Brother and he is a "former" homosexual thanks to conversion therapy. He is a shameless douche whose political strategy involves being as outrageous as possible.

Edit: Something kept bugging me and I realized have to correct myself: I'm pretty sure Eeli identifies as nonbinary instead of FtM trans based on the some details. Eeli is a male name and Finnish pronouns are gender neutral so I didn't think about this at first but the story uses a term directly translated as "other gendered" instead of the more common "transsexual".
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 04:33:00 pm by SCarpelan »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #745 on: November 16, 2016, 05:56:47 pm »
I chatted about that on FB today. The people comparing this "spit-gate" to stuff that the racists have said that has been protested or that one church employee who lost her job because of what she said about refugees are missing the point.

Eeli said that they momentarily felt like spitting in some guys food but they did not do it nor did they imply that they ever would. A bunch of racists have not only said that they at some point wished to to assault or kill refugees, they have said that they aim to do so in the future. They have made direct threats. And that church employee (aside from making similar threat about spitting in people's food) also threatened to burn down the church, was given a warning and repeatedly made those racist comments on the net despite promising to stop them.

Eeli made one comment and has been a victim of a witch hunt ever since. That article also makes clear that for some of the Ylilauta (Literally a Finnish language 4Chan. Same memes and similar layout and all) members Eeli being trans was the main reason they were part of the mob hunting them AND they were hoping to make their victim commit suicide. ...And they referred the Holocaust and stated that all trans people and anyone with a mental illness should be killed off.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #746 on: November 17, 2016, 03:49:21 am »
That nuclear option of eliminating filibuster in Senate? Despite the Republican majority it is not a given that it happens. Lindsey Graham of all people told reporters he would vote against such action "in a heartbeat". He only needs two other Republican senators behind him and they will be able to help the Democrats to block it.

Normally Republicans unite behind the selected leader without too much trouble. This time there seems to be a real possibility of a civil war within the party. Of course, this being the Republicans, it would not surprise me at all if Graham and any allies of his will fall in line in the end.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #747 on: November 17, 2016, 01:27:29 pm »
Since the election's over, is it okay if I start a new thread about Trump's presidency?
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #748 on: November 17, 2016, 03:31:28 pm »
https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/799079032499343360

Trump surrogates are already citing Japanese internment camps from WW II as "precedent" for Muslim registry

George Takei also tweeted about it:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/799249215809523712

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #749 on: November 22, 2016, 03:11:49 pm »
Someone brought up Tulsi Gabbard as a potential leader for the American liberal movement in this thread. I happened to bump into this little nugget: when it comes to Islam she has more in common with Trump than the liberals. She is also friendly with the Indian Hindu nationalist BJP party due to a large part of her constituency supporting them and has fought against US condemning BJP supporters' violence against the Muslim minority in India. Warren's hawkish approach to the Palestinian conflict pales when compared to her islamophobia.

Appearing with Fox's Neil Cavuto last week, she lashed out at the White House for holding an extremism summit with Muslim Americans, saying it's a “diversion from what our real focus needs to be. And that focus is on that Islamic extremist threat.” She criticized Obama for saying that “poverty, lack of access to jobs, lack of access to education” is contributing to radicalization. “They are not fueled by materialistic motivation, it's actually a theological, this radical Islamic ideology,” she said, throwing red meat to Fox viewers.