Author Topic: Election 2012 Predictions  (Read 27188 times)

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
Re: Election 2012 Predictions
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 08:47:11 am »
A few things:

If you are eligible to vote and you do not, it is slightly hypocritical to complain about how the vote turned out. Imagine what would happen if every disillusioned, non-voting citizen got out and voted for change. Considering that 30% voter turn-out in the USA is considered great, it would change the nation.

If you can vote, and do, and the majority still fucks up the country, then by all means bitch to the heavens.

Mormonism is a complex issue for conservative evangelicals in the USA. On the one hand the Mormon church is slightly to the right of Pat Robertson politically, but on the other hand fits the definition of a Satanic cult religiously. On the one hand the Mormon church is lily-white, even to the point of only letting black people into Heaven since 1978 (and that was only done to avoid losing Federal tax exempt status), but on the other hand is actively attempting to replace Christianity. On the one hand they call themselves "Christian," but on the other hand only do this by completely redefining what the word "Christian" means.

That last bit actually helps, because while the GOP and evangelical leadership knows damn well that the Mormon church is not by any traditional meaning of the word "Christian." The fact that they call themselves that combined with the fact that the most common trait of the Republican base is ignorance means they can largely ignore Romney's religion as long as they keep it off Fox News. I guess there are advantages to convincing your base to rely on only a single source of news and information.

Scottish independence is like a fifth Die Hard movie. We all think it would be really cool, and we all like to talk about how awesome it would be, but we don't really want it because the reality would never live up to our imaginations. No one wants to see John McClane in space, and no one wants to see the Scots try to write a constitution. We would just end up taking all the current British documents, crossing out everywhere is says "United Kingdom," and writing in "Scotland." Then we would all stand around and wonder why the fuck it isn't working and constantly telling the Welsh they can't join.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:50:37 am by sandman »
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline myusername

• Bishop
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2012, 11:05:26 am »
Oi Scots! Yer can all piss off and stop being a drain on my ENGLISH TAXES. Bloody Barnett formula.
Nb this is a joke, I don't mind either way. That said, Scots are more lefty than us, so a Scors govt would probably havebetter policies than us. If they had yhe money since your nice universities and lack of  prescriptikn fees are all paid for by the English... :P

I personally would always vote even if the opton is a shit party and a slightly less shit party.

Offline Qlockworkcanary

• Bishop
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 11:48:55 am »
Interesting. Content I've been reading indicates that Romney would need to win about every single swing state to win, but as stated before, it's too early to really predict. The conventions, the debates, and the October surprises could all make a difference.

Last weekend I went to a family picnic and got to listen/talk to several of my older, more conservative relatives. Only a couple of them hated Obama (the phantom menace version -the misrepresented definition of the guy anyway), but not one of them liked Romney. I was glad to see they didn't care for his smug attitude and his elitism. Several family members talked of writing in Ron Paul, which I hope they do honestly (it would help Obama a lot if Ron Paul could actually run as an Independent, which is unlikely at this point). In summary, there wasn't any enthusiasm for Mitts.

I think it might be a reverse of Bush vs. Kerry. Lots of voters voted against Bush, but not enough voted for Kerry. Mitts may have problems with crucial demographics, which are typically the higher populated urban areas. And even though Mitts has more money, I think Obama and his team are far more strategic.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:50:27 am by Qlockworkcanary »
"Out of the ash I rise with my red hair and eat men like air." - Sylvia Plath

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 12:29:39 pm »
Last weekend I went to a family picnic and got to listen/talk to several of my older, more conservative relatives. Only a couple of them hated Obama (the phantom menace version -the misrepresented definition of the guy anyway), but not one of them liked Romney.

Is it bad that your comment made me think of the fuckwits on various forums that have said: OBAMA=PALPATINE!!!
And all I have to say is:

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2012, 01:01:54 pm »
@ Sandman:  I have Welsh heritage.  Does that mean I'm hated and despised now?
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2012, 04:45:07 pm »
I have Welsh and Scottish heritage.  Does this mean I'm going to implode?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2012, 04:52:46 pm »
I have English, Scottish, Irish, and Cherokee heritage.  I've just become a singularity. 

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2012, 08:18:37 pm »
Oh, don't take that the wrong way. The Welsh are neither hated nor despised. You know that one friend you have that you really like but who just drives you up the wall because they are just so goddamn odd? That guy is the Welsh. You let the Welsh in and the next thing you know everything has a 12 syllable name with no goddamn vowels in it.

I have a mate who swears there is no real Welsh language. According to him they all speak English when no non-Welsh are around and the whole Welsh language is just a giant practical joke.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2012, 08:22:23 pm »
Oh, don't take that the wrong way. The Welsh are neither hated nor despised. You know that one friend you have that you really like but who just drives you up the wall because they are just so goddamn odd? That guy is the Welsh. You let the Welsh in and the next thing you know everything has a 12 syllable name with no goddamn vowels in it.

I have a mate who swears there is no real Welsh language. According to him they all speak English when no non-Welsh are around and the whole Welsh language is just a giant practical joke.

This might be the greatest description of any society ever.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2012, 09:05:08 pm »
Honestly, I don't vote for three reasons:

1) It costs gas, which my family is already tight on to begin with.
2) It adds wear and tear to our 13 year-old van, which by all rights, should've died at least 5 years ago, and is likely in its death throes as I type this.
3) The major WTFery, and likely ranting/bitching/what have you, I'd get from my family would be strong enough to eclipse the sun for a month.

Should those factors change, though...I don't see why I wouldn't, given that I've got the time and manage to actually remember, lol.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 01:15:17 am »
@ SpaceProg/"Mr. Cosmic Rock": Hey, another part-Cherokee.

Anyway, the 2012 elections, as I see it, will have mixed voting results thanks to access to the internet informing youth about independent political parties, even though a majority of them will vote for Barack Obama. It also helps that the Occupy movement has followers whose majority votes for independent parties. Unfortunately, since Republicans and the Tea Party are sore about their loss to Obama in 2008 (since they were spoiled by George W. Bush aka "Dubya"), they're also trying to disenfranchise voters who are likely to not vote Republican, and are also using appeal to fear and slander/libel (yes, I know. They're two different words and they both are methods of defamation) to gain voters. I also would like to believe that most people who use such tactics assume that the "common man" are morons and just eat shit up because they are "uninformed" (pretty much the reason Rush Limbaugh's radio show, Fox News and other such "propaganda" and "misinformation" exists).

I can't tell if either Obama will win again and I can relax (except for the fact that anti-government runts might attempt to assassinate him) or Mitt Romney will win because his followers, in my eyes, are incredibly sore zealots and are desperate to get their way. Alright... I too am cynical enough to believe this nation is heading into a collision course, but even claiming this nation will end up like Somalia (a warlord state with no central government) is a gross exaggeration and batshit insane. If there is a God (which ever since denouncing my faith in him, I doubt), please save us all.

While I will vote, I'll also take for granted that my preferred candidate will very likely lose.

Offline cheese007

• Bishop
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 01:25:27 am »
A few things:If you are eligible to vote and you do not, it is slightly hypocritical to complain about how the vote turned out. Imagine what would happen if every disillusioned, non-voting citizen got out and voted for change. Considering that 30% voter turn-out in the USA is considered great, it would change the nation.

I'd like to back this up with some statistics:
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/24/cnn-poll-obama-49-romney-47-among-likely-voters/
While Obama polls very close to Romney among likely voters (within 2%,essentially tied) he has a NINE point lead among registered voters (52 to 43). Obama would win in a landslide if just the people REGISTERED voted. 

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 02:04:47 am »
I'm voting as early as possible myself. If I'm gonna get screwed anyway by the pols, I might as well go forth and vote for the candidate that at least won't fuck it up any worse. I'm not voting for the party that put us in this situation in the first place (GOP).

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Qlockworkcanary

• Bishop
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2012, 06:17:17 am »
Well, my first instinct is to vote for General Zod. We'll be too busy kneeling to worry about healthcare and foreign affairs!
"Out of the ash I rise with my red hair and eat men like air." - Sylvia Plath

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2012, 06:19:54 am »
While I know many people might attack me for this, I feel I should point out that a vote for a liberal third-party candidate is a de facto vote for Mitt Romney. Just look at the 2000 and 1912 elections.