Author Topic: The DOMA/Prop-8 Decision  (Read 12287 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: The DOMA/Prop-8 Decision
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 12:30:02 pm »
I just woke up so I am not understanding this

Is gay marriage legal now or not?

DOMA's portion about the federal government defining marriage as a man and a woman is gone. So, it must now recognize all legal marriages. However, states can still refuse to acknowledge same-sex marriages from other states.

Prop 8 was thrown out on standing, and sent back to a lower court with orders to dismiss the appeal, meaning gay marriage should be legal in California.
Yes, this.

Also, told y'all that Kennedy was our guy ;D

Sort of. Partially striking down DOMA is one thing, but he stopped short of issuing a sweeping ruling on same-sex marriage bans... which is more or less what he said he'd do in Lawrence.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 12:35:13 pm »
I don't think that the IRS can be made to return the estate taxes collected from same-sex widow(er)s because it was perfectly legal to collect them at the time, and retroactive application of the law is dicey at best. It might not have been right, but it was legal.

Law isn't my strongest area of politics, so I could be wrong here, but I don't see why not.  The law wasn't repealed, it was struck down as being unconstitutional, and therefore illegitimate.  I was under the impression that Edith Windsor, the original plaintiff in the DOMA case, was suing to get back the $363,000 in estate taxes that she wouldn't have had to pay if her partner had been a man.  If I understand correctly, the court has agreed that the law was discriminatory, and she shouldn't have had to pay, implying that the money will be reimbursed.  If I'm right, other gay couples who have been negatively financially affected would have to bring suit to request that their money be reimbursed.

Can anybody with a law degree verify/invalidate this?
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 12:49:07 pm »
It seems to me that what we do now is move the Prop 8 legal team to a state with a ban on gay marriage, and start all over again. Someplace with a hardcore anti-gay government that will fight tooth and nail.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

shykid

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 01:03:30 pm »
Male queers are coprophiliacs. This hallmark of deep perversion has been demonstrated over and over as these deviants smear themselves, rim each other, and seek hookups with other queers in filthy public restrooms where the stench serves as their aphrodisiac. Appropriate sanitation is completely lacking in their makeup. -Neoliberalnot

Already attributing their sick fantasies to others, I see.

Offline EvilEdwin

• Neonate
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 01:07:22 pm »
It's the end of the world over at Rapture Ready...Well they'd like it to be!

shykid

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 01:19:00 pm »
It's the end of the world over at Rapture Ready...Well they'd like it to be!

Nothing new there.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 01:45:53 pm »
From http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?187252-DOMA-has-been-defeated

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

shykid

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 01:50:41 pm »
I just cannot believe we are at this place in history. I am just shocked. I am so upset about where we have come. The Lord's words are in my heart...take heart for I have overcome the world. Praise the Lord that He is still on the throne and none of this has come as a surprise.

"None of this comes as a surprise to me, but I am shocked by what happened."

...lol

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 02:56:10 pm »

What we will see come to fruition:

~The Supreme Court's decision will have an impact like as Roe v Wade and will not be overturned.
~Churches will be forced to perform same sex marriages.
~First responders will be forced to attend Gay Pride parades.
~Employees will be forced to attend sensitivity training or lose their job.
~Pastors will be jailed for preaching against homosexuality.
~Christians will feel the scorn of this culture unlike any time in the US history.
~Christians will be scrutinized by insurers and will be denied benefits.
~Christians will be unfairly taxed through an IRS audit of the church.

Remember that Noah had to face his tormentors for 100 years before God sent the flood.

~Christians will be disappointed when nuthin' like that happens. Must feel like the end of the world, to be ignored.

Emo drama queens.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 02:56:44 pm »
Delicious, like Amrita of the Devatas!

I used a different version because, IMHO, these Tea-brains are about as "Republican" as Ghengis Khan (and others belong to parties like 'Constitution' & 'Libertarian').

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 03:14:46 pm »

What we will see come to fruition:

~The Supreme Court's decision will have an impact like as Roe v Wade and will not be overturned.
~Churches will be forced to perform same sex marriages.
~First responders will be forced to attend Gay Pride parades.
~Employees will be forced to attend sensitivity training or lose their job.
~Pastors will be jailed for preaching against homosexuality.
~Christians will feel the scorn of this culture unlike any time in the US history.
~Christians will be scrutinized by insurers and will be denied benefits.
~Christians will be unfairly taxed through an IRS audit of the church.

Remember that Noah had to face his tormentors for 100 years before God sent the flood.

~Christians will be disappointed when nuthin' like that happens. Must feel like the end of the world, to be ignored.

Emo drama queens.
I really want to tase them every time they whine about being persecuted, just to make 'em honest.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 03:19:20 pm »
Since when had Christians ever experience scorn in US History?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 03:27:50 pm »

Have you forgotten? There was a time when yankees were vary of catholics. In fact when JFK was on his presidential campaign he had to reassure the voters that just because he is a catholic it does not mean that the pope would rule the country through him.

It wasn't quite opression but there was an underlying resentment. (Which apparently still remains in some regions of USA.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 03:31:37 pm »
DOMA shot in the face and Prop 8 dismissed?

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Their tears please me as well.

"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2013, 03:36:28 pm »

Have you forgotten? There was a time when yankees were vary of catholics. In fact when JFK was on his presidential campaign he had to reassure the voters that just because he is a catholic it does not mean that the pope would rule the country through him.

It wasn't quite opression but there was an underlying resentment. (Which apparently still remains in some regions of USA.)
RR's don't count "papists", IIRC.

And you are right about the anti Catholic history here. I have one of those prototypical Catholic girl names, my mother was a Mary Elizabeth, my aunt was a Ann Marie....but the family on that side were Methodists, for some strange reason. A little digging around in some ancient family photos and letters and old family bible birth/death entries, and voila! The truth. My mother's great grand parents converted, so as to avoid social shunning before moving to south Georgia, and so assure the success of their rail shipping service company.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:42:44 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.