Author Topic: Judge Blames 13 Year Old Victim  (Read 23798 times)

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
Re: Judge Blames 13 Year Old Victim
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2013, 04:42:39 pm »
Around grades 9 and 10, I started thinking "Oh hell, not this again, I learned all this shit last year" when sex-ed started, but after hearing how craptacular or, in some cases, just plain non-existent, sex-ed is south of the border, I began appreciating our curriculum and what it taught me a hell of a lot more than I used to.

That was more or less my experience as well. Mind you, I still have plenty of criticisms regarding the glossing over of certain topics (particularly external female anatomy; most of our courses focused on internal anatomy, with teachers glossing over other details) or the odd teacher doing a crappy job with the class, but on the whole, CBE sex ed classes are fairly decent. One thing I really liked was that the boys and girls were never split into separate classes, even when we first started in elementary school, which seemed to actually discourage us from feeling awkward about discussing these topics in the same room as members of the opposite sex.

Also, anyone remember the sex-ed "Question Jar", aka the "Insult the Teacher Anonymously Jar"?

I had the question jar in my sex ed class. One of the kids sent in the question, "If your penis gets cut off, does it grow back?"

Only if you're Wolverine.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2013, 05:10:41 pm »

I had the question jar in my sex ed class. One of the kids sent in the question, "If your penis gets cut off, does it grow back?"

Only if you're Wolverine.

Or Jade Sinclair.

One thousand points to whoever gets that reference
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2013, 05:39:37 pm »
Or Deadpool.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2013, 05:27:26 pm »
...we had to write about one "risky lifestyle decision", with the intent being to direct us towards drugs or alcohol. I got a really high grade... writing about organized religion.
<off topic> That reminds me of an in-class essay I had to write for a history class. The prompt was "Was Martin Luther a Revolutionary?" and my response boiled down to "Yes, he was a hypocritical coward who revolutionized the art of being a douchebag". The teacher liked my essay/hated my presence so much that he read it to the (mostly Lutheran) class. This resulted in (a. becoming the target of The Soulsaving Crusaders, (b. getting fed up and smacking an upperclassman with his cheap bible, then (c. getting my ass kicked in the name of the Lord Jebus Xst. </off topic>
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2013, 06:03:34 pm »
...we had to write about one "risky lifestyle decision", with the intent being to direct us towards drugs or alcohol. I got a really high grade... writing about organized religion.
<off topic> That reminds me of an in-class essay I had to write for a history class. The prompt was "Was Martin Luther a Revolutionary?" and my response boiled down to "Yes, he was a hypocritical coward who revolutionized the art of being a douchebag". The teacher liked my essay/hated my presence so much that he read it to the (mostly Lutheran) class. This resulted in (a. becoming the target of The Soulsaving Crusaders, (b. getting fed up and smacking an upperclassman with his cheap bible, then (c. getting my ass kicked in the name of the Lord Jebus Xst. </off topic>

I initially read that as "Martin Luther King Jr." and was appalled by the description that followed.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2013, 06:17:47 pm »

I present for you all, "I'm gonna punch you in the head for Jesus."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHXkkhGDiCQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHXkkhGDiCQ</a>
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2013, 10:05:10 pm »

Your teacher sounds like a douchebag. Whenever my teachers would read stuff from the students, they would never say "and so-and-so wrote this..." It was always kept anonymous. Your classmates also sound like retarded children.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2013, 11:26:52 pm »
In broader terms, this is the inevitable result of divorcing your society and legal system from Godly justice and morality.

Funny how the judge here is seen as a sick freak, or at least a total moron, and you actually agree with the judge while blaming sex education for a pervert's actions and the girl's responses to them. Talk about having your cake and eating it too!
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2013, 11:47:37 pm »

Your teacher sounds like a douchebag. Whenever my teachers would read stuff from the students, they would never say "and so-and-so wrote this..." It was always kept anonymous. Your classmates also sound like retarded children.
He actually wasn't a douche that often, but apparently I hid a nerve with the whole "this person, whose teachings you follow in many important aspects of your life, was an cowardly jackass" thing. Although he could be very passive-aggressive when angered. Example A: he didn't say "so-and-so wrote this" (because the school strongly discourages but doesn't outright forbid naming names when reading student work aloud), he said "the person in the seat next to closest to the stapler wrote this essay". To his credit, he gave me full points on the essay even when I actually called him (Martin Luther, not the teacher) a "cowardly, delusional menace to society" because I gave evidence.
However, you're right about my classmates being retarded children. I was almost always the youngest person in any given class, yet I could usually write/debate circles around my classmates. Unfortunately for me, I was severely outnumbered by idiots and thus the designated pariah/punching bag until senior year.

I present for you all, "I'm gonna punch you in the head for Jesus."

[-snip-]
My headphones came unplugged while I was listening to this and now my mom won't speak to me.
<sincerity mode> THANK YOU! </sincerity mode>

I initially read that as "Martin Luther King Jr." and was appalled by the description that followed.
Nope nope nope nope nope. Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was an amazing man and a world without him would be a much darker place.
Long Live The Queen.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2013, 12:44:18 am »

He actually wasn't a douche that often, but apparently I hid a nerve with the whole "this person, whose teachings you follow in many important aspects of your life, was an cowardly jackass" thing. Although he could be very passive-aggressive when angered. Example A: he didn't say "so-and-so wrote this" (because the school strongly discourages but doesn't outright forbid naming names when reading student work aloud), he said "the person in the seat next to closest to the stapler wrote this essay". To his credit, he gave me full points on the essay even when I actually called him (Martin Luther, not the teacher) a "cowardly, delusional menace to society" because I gave evidence.
However, you're right about my classmates being retarded children. I was almost always the youngest person in any given class, yet I could usually write/debate circles around my classmates. Unfortunately for me, I was severely outnumbered by idiots and thus the designated pariah/punching bag until senior year.

Alright, I suppose I can afford your teacher some respect. But still, singling you out in front of the class because you attacked something important to him is unprofessional and downright childish.

And I'm sorry to hear about your barbarian classmates. Although on the bright side, (and correct me if I'm wrong) but it sounds like you just finished high school and are going into your first year of university, so you won't have to put up with shit like that again in the foreseeable future.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2013, 02:59:01 am »
Yeah, got to agree with Valerius. My experiences in college have been a whole different world from high school. It's much friendlier, more polite and open minded, and people just care less about whether or not you stand out. In high school, my best friend and I were the only students I ever saw with beards, but in college it's probably more unusual for a man to NOT have a beard.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2013, 12:42:01 am »
Nope nope nope nope nope. Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was an amazing man and a world without him would be a much darker place.
Technically, it would actually be a much lighter place.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2013, 03:44:35 pm »
That joke was bad, and you should feel bad.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2013, 09:29:56 pm »
Alright, I suppose I can afford your teacher some respect. But still, singling you out in front of the class because you attacked something important to him is unprofessional and downright childish.

And I'm sorry to hear about your barbarian classmates. Although on the bright side, (and correct me if I'm wrong) but it sounds like you just finished high school and are going into your first year of university, so you won't have to put up with shit like that again in the foreseeable future.
Yeah, I'm a freshmeat this year. There are still idiots at college, but they're easier to avoid and outnumbered by decent folk. The teachers are also predicted to suck less (or at least, suck for less arbitrary reasons) but I haven't started classes yet, so I don't really know. *crosses fingers, knocks on wood*

Long Live The Queen.

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2013, 10:21:00 pm »

Yeah, I'm a freshmeat this year. There are still idiots at college, but they're easier to avoid and outnumbered by decent folk. The teachers are also predicted to suck less (or at least, suck for less arbitrary reasons) but I haven't started classes yet, so I don't really know. *crosses fingers, knocks on wood*

Yeah, there's always going to be idiots and douchebags around, but the nature of universities as institutions of higher learning filters out a considerable number of them and draws in more understanding people.

Regarding profs: yeah, they're less likely to do asshole-ish things like pick on students or stuff like that, but there's huge variation when it comes to being good at actually teaching. I've had profs who have been absolutely terrible at teaching (this one physics prof had midterm averages of ~35% in one of his classes; final exams weren't much higher), but then I've also had phenomenal profs that helped you learn the material really well and made it fun too. In the case of the former, the curve (graded in relation to the class average) is your friend; you can do terribly, but if you suck a bit less than everyone else, you can get a decent grade in the class. In the case of the latter, the curve can kick your ass if you get too complacent, so make sure to not let that happen. Anyway, just some tips on what to expect. Hope you find them useful ^_^