Author Topic: Why all the Libertarian hate?  (Read 8954 times)

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
  • Able to creep out Deimos.
Why all the Libertarian hate?
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:34:16 am »
On this forum, I've seemed to notice a hostility towards Libertarian views. Why is this?
Before you die an agonizing, chainsaw-related death, you're gonna hear about the Hate Plague!
I'm accusing you of being stupid.
I dare to be stupid.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Why all the Libertarian hate?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:49:25 am »
Generally, when people around here say "Libertarian", they're referring to the "fuck you got mine" brand of (typically American) Libertarians.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 09:07:25 am »
I don't like the ideology. I think trying to implement it on a national scale is as bad idea as pure communism, though from different reasons.

The libertarians themselves I'll judge on personal basis so I don't hate anyone just because they are a libertarian. Though as Mlle said so poetically, "fuck you, I've got mine" ideology is a all too common interpretation of libertalianism.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 09:14:20 am »
Minimizing the government to the extent that some libertarians advocate is really not ideal if you want a half-decent society. A lot of the ones I've encountered are big on states' rights, which I can understand in some circumstances, but not with basic human rights (gay marriage, for example). The more vocal ones seem to scream "FREEDOM FROM THE GOVERNMENT!" without realizing what that would mean for our nation.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 09:50:58 am »
Usually, when I read about Libertarians, they seem to be conservative about economics but liberal about social issues.  That's how the Republicans should be.  Instead of saying they have a plan to fix the economy but spend the entire time bitching about abortion or banning gays, fix the #%%@#%%^ economy like you claimed you could!

Libertarians seem to have the right ideas, though a few take the, 'don't regulate' idea a little too far.   
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Iconic Komodo Dragon 2

• Bishop
  • Try not to bleed to much.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:09:58 am »
Ron Paul
I support the SCP Foundation.

I'm 91 kilograms, 2.59 meters long; Have 57 strains of bacteria in my mouth, and can eat 80% of my weight in food in a single sitting.
LAAAAYYYYDDDDIIEEES...( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°)

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 10:22:49 am »
Ron Paul
RAAAAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! HATE HATE HATE RON PAUL.
Before you die an agonizing, chainsaw-related death, you're gonna hear about the Hate Plague!
I dare to be stupid.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 11:23:06 am »
Ron Paul
Generally, when people around here say "Libertarian", they're referring to the "fuck you got mine" brand of (typically American) Libertarians.
These both sum it up pretty well.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Mira

• Literally Worse Than Hitler
  • Pope
  • Cisphobic reverse racist
    • Houserule Gaming
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 11:54:52 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YNc2o30IIg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YNc2o30IIg</a>
I’ve grown overfed, unconcerned and comfortably numb
Kept busy indulging in the pleasures of the wealthy
Oh, someone make me afraid of what I’ve become!

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 01:00:50 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YNc2o30IIg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YNc2o30IIg</a>
WE HATES RON PAUL! WE HATES HIM!
I dare to be stupid.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 01:09:30 pm »
Minimizing the government to the extent that some libertarians advocate is really not ideal if you want a half-decent society. A lot of the ones I've encountered are big on states' rights, which I can understand in some circumstances, but not with basic human rights (gay marriage, for example). The more vocal ones seem to scream "FREEDOM FROM THE GOVERNMENT!" without realizing what that would mean for our nation.

This brings up one thing that I've been wondering for a while now...

If libertarianists really want a small goverment then why don't they suggest getting rid of the states? I mean the states are just another unnecessary level of goverment. USA makes laws at federal level and then some state makes laws that are conflict with federal laws or make add restrictions that do not exist on federal level? That's insanity.

The "small goverment" crowd are complaining about every single dollar spent by Obama's goverment but do not care about this double goverment system? Where's the logic? You literally have cases where the states are going against the wishes of the US goverment and need the supreme court to put them in line.

But somehow all those small goverment types are also supportive of state rights.

(I could understand the need for states a hundred years ago. Maybe even few decades ago but now with the advancement of technology and communications in particular there is no need to have so many levels of administration.)

I would also like to point out that almost 50% of what Ron Paul says is actually good ideas, which is more than you can say for many other politicians.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 02:09:47 pm »

This brings up one thing that I've been wondering for a while now...

If libertarianists really want a small goverment then why don't they suggest getting rid of the states? I mean the states are just another unnecessary level of goverment. USA makes laws at federal level and then some state makes laws that are conflict with federal laws or make add restrictions that do not exist on federal level? That's insanity.

The "small goverment" crowd are complaining about every single dollar spent by Obama's goverment but do not care about this double goverment system? Where's the logic? You literally have cases where the states are going against the wishes of the US goverment and need the supreme court to put them in line.

But somehow all those small goverment types are also supportive of state rights.

(I could understand the need for states a hundred years ago. Maybe even few decades ago but now with the advancement of technology and communications in particular there is no need to have so many levels of administration.)

I would also like to point out that almost 50% of what Ron Paul says is actually good ideas, which is more than you can say for many other politicians.
Probably because they don't think that far ahead. I mean really, do you think the secessionist types, few though they are, have any idea just how badly things would go for them if they actually declared their state a sovereign nation? Even assuming, say, the South/Bible Belt seceded all at once, they would be crushed militarily before the week was over. All they're interested in is an environment where they can do what they like, when they like, without being legally obligated to care about the repercussions.

As to Ron Paul: I agree with him completely that we have no business meddling in the affairs of other countries, including having military installations outside our borders. But when it comes to any domestic policy whatsoever, especially economics, he is out of his goddamned mind.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 03:53:59 pm »
Usually, when I read about Libertarians, they seem to be conservative about economics but liberal about social issues.  That's how the Republicans should be.  Instead of saying they have a plan to fix the economy but spend the entire time bitching about abortion or banning gays, fix the #%%@#%%^ economy like you claimed you could!

Libertarians seem to have the right ideas, though a few take the, 'don't regulate' idea a little too far.

Agreed. I would find it easier to be more Libertarian if so many of them didn't take such an absolutist stand against regulation.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 04:32:17 pm »
US libertarians often have this notion that states would make the right kind of laws.  No regulation of industry, lax gun control, that sort of thing.  They have this notion that the state government is closer, and thus more accountable.

On the topic of Ron Paul, he's a hypocrite who's concerned about what the federal government commands, unless it's something he wants, in which case he's for it.  He's against right to privacy, ability to purchase birth control, and he supported DOMA.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 04:41:41 pm »
I identify as left-libertarian and think libertarianism in general has its good points. A lack of overreaching regulations can be good for a lot of things, but that only goes so far. However, many American libertarians today oppose certain government actions and programs not because they have any strong reasons to suggest they are unnecessary or ineffective, but simply to be difficult and oppositional. Many (see: Ron Paul) also value economic freedom far above political freedom, or states' rights above individual rights. For instance, there are libertarians who would balk at a federal ban of GMO foods or a federal civilian surveillance program, but would have no problem with a state deciding to make "sodomy" a criminal offense or mandating Christian prayer in public schools. To these people, states and corporations have rights, but not individuals. Many of them are also opposed to the 14th Amendment.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:44:09 pm by Eva-Beatrice »
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.