Author Topic: Tabletop Game Thread  (Read 63516 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Tabletop Game Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 08, 2016, 01:09:40 pm »
I am annoyed that in order to heal physical damage from Drain in Shadowrun 5th edition my character has to rest for the entire day. Or more likely the entire week because every mission ends with my character being nearly dead from physical drain damage. So that means one week doing nothing but lying on the couch watching trid shows or meditating. Some claim that I should not always throw spells at maximum force or that I should save the Edge point to resist drain roll but they fail to realize that the only thing more annoying than taking a massive amount of drain damage is taking the damage AFTER your spell was countered. By using a point of Edge to ensure that the spell will be successfully cast with max damage I am taking a calculated risk.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:18:53 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #241 on: August 10, 2016, 03:29:07 am »
I play M:tg, currently working on a Bant colors +1 / +1 counter constructed deck, basically just what I use among friends, as well as a Dragon deck, which is shaping up to be fun, with an Emerge Deck currently shaping up pretty nicely.

Anyone interested in seeing the whole of my Bant Counters deck?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #242 on: August 10, 2016, 06:52:23 am »
Sure, throw the list up on tappedout and post a link.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #243 on: August 11, 2016, 11:59:30 am »
Good session of Runelords last night.  Short so we got one combat session but I've found my wand of magic missile to be the most powerful weapon I've got right now.  Was only a short session due to one of the players getting home from a 12 hour day and having to get to bed early cause she's doing it again the next day.  Rough but the paycheck.

Here's a playlist of all we've done: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrogm6G-Ocke1o6M6YfTfaQivRGFOKVQ8

Ironbite-Brett should have session 4 uploaded soon.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #244 on: August 11, 2016, 04:42:56 pm »
Today in Shadowrun:

The team was hired to sabotage/destroy an UCAS Blacksite. (By a Sioux intelligence officer who was known by my character.) They were offered 40k in NuYen each (the biggest reward so far) and given a duffel bag with 100 kilograms of C12 and a 10 minute timer (mechanical timer, no wireless or even electronics for Deckers to sabotage.) And also a comms that would signal the guard to open the doors for the team.

There was a brief argument over how to transport the massive bomb.

Mage: *raises hand*

Player A: *ignores the mage* HOW MUCH IS YOUR CARRY WEIGHT?!

Player B: Not enough.

Mage: I can cast levitate.

Player C: WHAT'S CARRY WEIGHT? WHERE IS IT?!

Player A: WHAT IS YOUR CARRY WEIGHT?!
Shaman: I can cast levitate on it, it'll be easy.

PLAYER A: WHAT IS YOUR CARRY WEIGHT!?! WHY ISN'T ANYONE LISTENING TO ME?!!

Player D: Not enough.

Players A through D: *Arguing about carry weight*

Mage and Shaman: WE CAN CAST LEVITATE ON IT! LOOK! *trying to show the relevant page on the book* WE CAN LEVITATE IT AND THERE IS NO NEED TO CARRY IT BY HAND!

The operation had to be done ASAP and specifically during the midnight when the correct guard was at the door. There was a brief scramble for additional equipment. The team face tried to find a grappling because the Blacksite was 20m UNDER an apartment building and the only way in or out was an elevator shaft and we had the feeling that sooner or later it would go out of order. Unfortunately he failed to find a grappling gun so plan B was having the mage and shaman levitate themselves and carry the others up the shaft.

The Face did manage to score some cheap masks that look like silly versions of famous genocidal dictators... One character went as Hitler, another as Stalin, third as Idi Amin and fourth as Van Gogh.

The remaining two characters (my shaman and the street sam) refused to have anything to do with those shenanigans and simply had a ballistic mask and a motorcycle helmet respectively.

The way in went quite easily, the guard was shown the comms through the slot in the (non-remarkable looking) door in the basement and it showed a video of his little girl who was kept as a hostage and she would be killed if he didn't comply (we didn't know about that in advance but it did guarantee his co-operation.) Downstairs we had a brief argument over how to handle things tactically and the moral implications of detonating a weapon of mass destruction beneath an apartment building with 200 civilians (the mage had "Detect life" spell and had a rough estimate of how many people were above us) and whether or not we could alert the people upstairs without blowing our cover which lead to us walking into an ambush and tough time with the elite-guards. Small special forces unit messed up our street sammy who only barely survived but while the shaman was treating his injuries the remaining two guards (Decker and a mage) started the REAL fight.

It was rather hectic and complicated. Partially because our main muscle and 50% of magical support were busy getting patched up and patching up someone while our heavy/sniper/demo-guy was trying to dodge and roll away from an angry spirit of fire. And this was the point where the player of the aforementioned character thought to bring up that he is carrying high-EX grenades and C4 on him... We thought he had only brought Neuro-stun grenades but, boy were we wrong. Anyway, spells were cast and countered, C4 was used to blow open a door and this was followed by more spells and hand grenades being thrown around and dispelled or in one case caught from air and thrown back with a levitate spell.

Then the two life-signs disappeared and everything went dark. The two remaining guards had triggered the self destruct and then taken cyanide because they realized that their situation is hopeless... This lead to some more frantic moments. We blew open the explosion resistant door to the actual lab, activated the timer and the shaman levitated/threw the bomb deep in there and then we just ran. The elevator was broken (of course) but after quickly making a few holes in the roof we managed to levitate our team up. Where we were met by fire alarms, panicking people in their underwear trying to get out of the building and lots and lots of firemen and KE teams surrounding the building. Invisibility spells on those who couldn't sneak and the remaining two guys sneaked out in the crowd and were just outside the building when something burst into flames upstairs. This was followed by a few muffled explosions and then a massive one deep underground that shook the neighbourhood. Luckily, at that point the team was already driving away and heading to our hideout.

7 Karma, 40k in cash and 1 point of public awareness were our rewards. A picture of the team was in the news, Alamos 20'000 took credit of the attack (despite the team clearly having a dwarf) and everyone was glad that the terrorists had been so incompetent that they caused a minor gas leak and explosion before their bigger bomb went off.

This also means that the team is going to take a month of vacation in-game and spend some time training and upgrading stuff while the heat goes down. (Except that the public awareness simply does not go down unless you drastically change something.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #245 on: August 12, 2016, 01:18:15 am »

The Face did manage to score some cheap masks that look like silly versions of famous genocidal dictators... One character went as Hitler, another as Stalin, third as Idi Amin and fourth as Van Gogh.

Man, he didn't take criticism well, did he?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #246 on: August 12, 2016, 02:07:39 am »

Man, he didn't take criticism well, did he?

Yeah, we had some minor, completely justified, criticism over him bringing several bricks of C4 without informing the rest of the team and then he threatened to cut off his ear. WHO DOES THAT? Seriously.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #247 on: August 12, 2016, 12:35:01 pm »
We're you playing with Mr.Welch? Cause that sounds like something he would do.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #248 on: August 12, 2016, 01:30:48 pm »
Welch would do our craziest stunts on purpose. For us the funniest stuff happens either accidental or at least an unplanned reaction to our original plan going wrong.

Like the time I blew up a van that had four elite-Shadowrunners (or possibly Aztechnology hit team pretending to be Runners) inside. Our ambush failed, they were getting away and I wasn't sure that we could find them again before our deadline. ...And I assumed that the car would stop and possibly ignite but the explosion was a surprise. I thought that they would merely be hurt and angry but unable to escape and we could finish them off. Instead the entire van went up in flames and the team didn't even have time to get out.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #249 on: August 13, 2016, 11:23:37 pm »
As amusing as it would be to play with Mr. Welch, I don't think I would want to do it twice. It seems like he would get kinda irritating pretty quickly.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #250 on: August 14, 2016, 02:53:17 am »
Much of the stuff on the Mr. Welch list are just LOL RANDUMBZ stuff which can be distracting to the game. And judging from those harmless things ending up on the list I would assume that the GM (and possibly other players as well) wanted a more serious game and one dude going on about how he wants to worship the "Gnomish god of heavy artillery" just does not fit into a game like that.

"234. My character does not get d34 HP a level." is just cheating.

Though: "452. Not allowed to convince the entire party to base the group only off Gary Oldman characters." would have the entire party joining in his antics and I would have allowed it UNLESS the game was specifically supposed to be more serious or something.

On the other hand, Old Man Henderson and his kind are specifically designed to ruin the campaign for the GM and that's just not cool. If you don't like the game you can leave but being a dick on purpose just because you wish to hurt the GM is unnecessary.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #251 on: August 14, 2016, 03:41:23 am »
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #252 on: August 14, 2016, 12:01:01 pm »
I think Old Man Henderson types can fit in certain ways if the GM is a particularly big dick about things. (Or is me since I take grudges too seriously and have killed off all the PC's just to spite one person)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #253 on: August 15, 2016, 04:53:34 am »
I remember reading Mr. Welsh's post a year ago.  Some of it was pretty funny ("These Are the droids you're looking for.").  However, I then accidentally found his political blogs and had a hard time reading anything he posted after that.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #254 on: August 19, 2016, 12:23:31 am »
Yesterday's session actually allowed our Decker to do something. Previously he's been going up against rating 9 security and elite deckers (well we have been hitting things like UCAS blacksite or secret AAA corp research centers) with a rating 2 cyberdeck. Quite often he has had to give up on hacking because his gear is just so bad. Now that the rest of the team is aware of the problem we are trying to help him get a better deck. Even if it means forcing the player to accept money from others (and specifically stopping the Face from turning it into a loan with massive interests.)

This time we were looking up a cult that claims to have brought people back from the dead. My shaman rolled for magical threats once and has since been insisting that it's Shedim. The Johnson did admit that the details fit a Shedim incident but that doesn't make sense because the Shedim are disappearing but these "reborn" people are becoming far too numerous to be Shedim. After a brief Astral recon we sent the Decker to hack their systems and he added us into the cult as new members and the team is now infiltrating their compound.

Unfortunately while hacking the cult leaders personal home (through his refrigerator)  and trying to steal the one and only file we needed for evidence (we were hired to find out what the hell is going on there, we DON'T have to actually deal with the problem and if it isn't anything sinister we would just report back and say so.) he hit a databomb that bricked his deck... Now certain that their cover will be blown before morning the team is going to wait for him to jury rig the deck to barely functioning condition and then we'll poke around the site when everyone is supposed to be asleep. I am guessing that we'll be fighting at least 6 Shedim and one master Shedim before the night is over.