Author Topic: Men with Rifles Crash Mayor’s Against Illegal Guns Rally  (Read 2054 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Men with Rifles Crash Mayor’s Against Illegal Guns Rally
« on: March 29, 2013, 12:34:18 pm »
We're not here to intimidate I swear! 

A member of Moms Demand Action said that she felt unsettled by their presence and said that the organizers would have to think twice before holding another event, particularly one where children could be present.
Members of Moms Demand Action also attended an event at the White House today, during which President Obama called on Congress to pass sensible gun regulations and urged the nation to remember the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/03/28/1791361/men-with-loaded-rifles-intimidate-moms-gathered-at-gun-safety-rally/

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Re: Men with Rifles Crash Mayor’s Against Illegal Guns Rally
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 01:24:22 pm »
Honestly, as long as nothing illegal was going on I don't really give a crap because this whole thing's just turning into a pissing match. These guys show up with guns to an anti-gun rally and just a short while back I was reading a story about a gun control group protesting across the street from an NRA fundraiser. It's just tit for tat and I find the whole thing silly.

But I will say this; if you feel intimidated by some guys just standing around and doing nothing but having a scary looking gun slung across their necks then grow up because it doesn't impress me. And if you feel the need to stand around with a scary looking gun around your neck to make a point then grow up because that doesn't impress me either.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Distind

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 01:33:18 pm »
This is where that big fat hairy difference between a protest sign and a loaded weapon comes into play.

Of course, that involves admiting guns are weapons. But hey, I'm sure there's plenty of protest sign related deaths across the country.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 01:34:50 pm »
So they just stood their with their rifles? were they trying to make a point other than "fuck you I do what I want"?

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 01:38:14 pm »
Honestly, as long as nothing illegal was going on I don't really give a crap because this whole thing's just turning into a pissing match. These guys show up with guns to an anti-gun rally and just a short while back I was reading a story about a gun control group protesting across the street from an NRA fundraiser. It's just tit for tat and I find the whole thing silly.

But I will say this; if you feel intimidated by some guys just standing around and doing nothing but having a scary looking gun slung across their necks then grow up because it doesn't impress me. And if you feel the need to stand around with a scary looking gun around your neck to make a point then grow up because that doesn't impress me either.

There's... kind of a big difference here, though. You know, like the fact that the protesters with the guns are making a show of deadly force. At a rally full of children.

Besides, the NRA hasn't represented gun owners for decades. All they represent are the interests of gun manufacturers.

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 01:47:13 pm »
Maybe it's because I have been exposed to firearms for a long time, maybe it's because I know them better than the average joe or maybe I'm just not easily freaked out. But from what I see, they weren't being brandished, they weren't being threatening, they were just being displayed. For me, that makes them as intimidating as a stage prop. They were visible...and that's it. I find it silly that they felt they should haul their rifles down for a counter-protest, but they weren't threatening people and they weren't breaking any laws so I just fail to see this as anything worse than dickheads being dickheads.

So they just stood their with their rifles? were they trying to make a point other than "fuck you I do what I want"?

I think it was just a case of "Fuck you." Maybe not, maybe there was something more, but from just a skim of the article, this is the impression I'm getting.

Besides, the NRA hasn't represented gun owners for decades. All they represent are the interests of gun manufacturers.

I keep hearing this, but as much as I dislike the NRA, I just haven't seen evidence for it. *shrug*
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 01:55:59 pm »

I keep hearing this, but as much as I dislike the NRA, I just haven't seen evidence for it. *shrug*

They represent the money. Nothing more.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 02:01:22 pm »
Mayor’s Against Illegal Guns.

Illegal

I would like to believe that all responsible gun owners oppose people who have illegal guns.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

QueenofHearts

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 02:03:11 pm »

Illegal

I would like to believe that all responsible gun owners oppose people who have illegal guns.

Just ignore that part, it's too inconvenient.

Distind

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 02:25:54 pm »
Maybe it's because I have been exposed to firearms for a long time, maybe it's because I know them better than the average joe or maybe I'm just not easily freaked out. But from what I see, they weren't being brandished, they weren't being threatening, they were just being displayed. For me, that makes them as intimidating as a stage prop. They were visible...and that's it. I find it silly that they felt they should haul their rifles down for a counter-protest, but they weren't threatening people and they weren't breaking any laws so I just fail to see this as anything worse than dickheads being dickheads.
Counter protesting a rally against illegal guns by showing up with rifles. You can at least see why this makes them look like idiots(armed idiots at that) right?

I mean if I show up across from a NRA fundraiser with a protest sign decrying the use of nuclear weapons I'd look like a bit of an ass too. Because I was clearly missing the point. As these guys were. The difference being they were openly armed while they did it. Making a point of having the weapons loaded.

You, for whatever reason, trust that they aren't stupid enough to start shooting. I'm not sure how many other people are willing to make that leap of faith when these guys can't seperate real concerns about illegal guns, with imaginary attempts to take their guns away.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 02:46:11 pm »
Not even the NRA is this nuts.  >:(
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 03:49:38 pm »
This is where that big fat hairy difference between a protest sign and a loaded weapon comes into play.

Of course, that involves admiting guns are weapons. But hey, I'm sure there's plenty of protest sign related deaths across the country.
Hey now, a protest sign killed my family.

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 07:07:04 pm »
Counter protesting a rally against illegal guns by showing up with rifles. You can at least see why this makes them look like idiots(armed idiots at that) right?

I did call them dickheads earlier and I stand by that. I am not defending what they did, I am merely pointing out that I don't view it as being as big a deal as others in this thread or in the initial article from ThinkProgress.

I mean if I show up across from a NRA fundraiser with a protest sign decrying the use of nuclear weapons I'd look like a bit of an ass too. Because I was clearly missing the point. As these guys were. The difference being they were openly armed while they did it. Making a point of having the weapons loaded.

I actually watched the video where one of the guys was being interviewed and he didn't mention that the rifle was loaded until he was directly asked if it was loaded. For me, the rifle being loaded or not is a non-issue for a number of reasons not the least of which being because no one knew the weapons were loaded as it wasn't being broadcast and you couldn't tell by looking if it was loaded, unloaded or rendered completely disabled. Presumably these people were CCW holders and people who carry firearms on a daily basis soon start to view having them loaded as a normal part of their routine.

You, for whatever reason, trust that they aren't stupid enough to start shooting. I'm not sure how many other people are willing to make that leap of faith when these guys can't seperate real concerns about illegal guns, with imaginary attempts to take their guns away.

These people were at a planned rally in favor of stronger gun control and rallies of this type typically have a police presence to ensure that laws are obeyed and conflicts can be dealt with quickly before they spiral out of control. In the state of Indiana it is legal to carry a firearm openly with a permit. If these people were to show up to a rally with a heightened police presence and are still not arrested then it is almost certain that they followed the law and got a permit to carry their weapons openly. the other possibility is that the police were lazy and didn't bother checking, but considering that these were rifles, something not typically carried openly and would bring about higher scrutiny, I find this an unlikely scenario. Add to the fact that if one of them does decide to open fire, there are other people there with weapons who will likely disagree with that action, such as police and the other counter-demonstrators. They'd know that if they start sending lead at the protestors then lead will be sent right back at them. It isn't a leap of faith to think they'll behave themselves, it's knowledge of actions and consequences.

On another note; my issue with Mayors Against Illegal Guns stems from the fact that they're not campaigning against illegal guns as their name implies but rather advocating for more gun control. If they were trying to advocate against illegal guns they would be spending their time, money, energy and manpower into making sure guns are kept out of the hands of known criminals and trying to get the guns out of the hands of criminals who already have them. They could try advocating for increased police presence in known gang territories, for example, or try pressuring states to better report people ineligible to own firearms to NICS. But from what I have been seeing, I'm more inclined to think they're not Mayors Against Illegal Guns but are really Mayors Against Guns they think should be Illegal. I suppose this is just my issue with labeling, which I'll delve into in a separate thread should I feel the need to address this in greater detail.

When all is said and done, though, this is just my opinion. We have differing opinions and I don't see this changing anytime in the near (or distant) future. I just wanted to point out my views on this specific topic, I've done that, but right now I am just too burnt out on the gun control debate to be able to put much effort into it. But can you blame me for that considering we've been flogging this dead horse for three months now?
"Fear my .45"

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen