Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387741 times)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2955 on: April 14, 2019, 02:10:31 pm »
Another example of Republicans not caring about immigration and just wanting to pwn the libs.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2956 on: April 14, 2019, 04:54:58 pm »
Trump's thinking about maybe releasing detained migrants in sanctuary cities:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/12/us/politics/trump-sanctuary-cities.html

If he does this, I'm betting his hardline supporters are gonna turn on him. The ones who don't try and spin it as him playing 4D chess, anyway.

You're adorable but let me give you a bit of insight into the mind of the Orange Piss Pot.

In his head, every single person who comes up from Central and South America is a dangerous criminal.  Every single one of them.  Even the kids.  Especially the kids.  His thought process is, because everyone is a criminal, if he releases these people into the Sanctuary Cities, the crime rates go up and people blame the Democrats.  He actually can't fathom what desperate people are like.  It's not in his nature.  Thus, this stupid illegal policy.

Ironbite-or would be policy that is.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2957 on: April 16, 2019, 08:17:47 am »
EDIT: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ohio-abortion-ban-first-heartbeat-1.5095378

Now, in a case that will go to the Supreme Court, a "first heartbeat" abortion ban has been enacted in Ohio. Time to see if Casey will be upheld by the current membership of that body...

I’ve been saying it since Trump won, “abortion rights were nice while they lasted.”
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2958 on: April 16, 2019, 05:08:07 pm »
Once they manage to undo abortion rights - they will try to bring back segregation.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #2959 on: April 17, 2019, 04:47:15 am »
Once they manage to undo abortion rights - they will try to bring back segregation.

Gay marriage is probably on the chopping block too. But hey gotta make things great again don't we?

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
« Reply #2960 on: April 17, 2019, 09:51:17 am »
Let's try and be realistic here, not run around like the sky is falling. While I could see new restrictions on abortion coming around, I don't think the GOP will try to outright ban it. Why would they get rid of one of their biggest rallying points? And if they really wanted to get rid of abortion on a national level, why didn't they try before the midterms? They only tried to ban abortions after 20 weeks.
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2961 on: April 17, 2019, 10:28:54 am »
Ummm... If they outlaw abortion completely there's a 100% chance that after that every election will have the Democrats campaigning to legalize it again and therefore one of their biggest rallying points will be relevant in every election and it will be the Democrats who pay for the ads for them.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2962 on: April 17, 2019, 10:41:26 am »
Let's try and be realistic here, not run around like the sky is falling. While I could see new restrictions on abortion coming around, I don't think the GOP will try to outright ban it. Why would they get rid of one of their biggest rallying points? And if they really wanted to get rid of abortion on a national level, why didn't they try before the midterms? They only tried to ban abortions after 20 weeks.

Its called a wedge issue and that's how it goes.  But, the more sane members of the GOP know that if they get rid of it, there goes a lot of single issue voters.  And that does scare the GOP.  My chipping away at abortion, they can continue to get votes by promising and never delivering.

And that's why Trump is such a god damn stupid leader of the GOP.  He doesn't, and will never, get that.  For him, he has to deliver on his promise or risk losing everything.  Why Turtle goes along with this, I'm guessing it's because Trump knows where the skeletons are buried.

Ironbite-and also Trump's more popular in Kentucky then McConnell is.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2963 on: April 17, 2019, 12:18:05 pm »
Ironbite-and also Trump's more popular in Kentucky then McConnell is.

I doubt Trump knows where any skeletons are buried (except his own--look at his threats to his schools about releasing transcripts, or to his accountants about releasing financial statements). This is more to the point. Mark Sanford was a vocal critic of Trump and lost his primary--and the GOP then lost his former seat. Jeff Flake outright admitted that he wouldn't be so critical of Trump if he were intending to run again. Never mind that these people voted with Trump overwhelmingly often--just being critical of him was enough to either cost them their jobs or make them think they'd lose their jobs.

Trump's TFG base makes up a very sizable percentage of the Republican primary voter base. Other elected Republicans ignore or inflame them at their peril--and they know it.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2964 on: April 17, 2019, 12:43:28 pm »
Hey thanks for making my point for me.  The reason why Turtle goes along with everything the Orange Piss Pot does is a combination of Trump knows what Russia found out about him, his wife's job depends on it, and Trump's more popular then him in Kentucky.  All that equals the most spineless worm in Congress at the moment who's doing everything in his power to keep the baby happy.

Ironbite-cause if he doesn't, bye bye cushy Congressional job.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2965 on: April 17, 2019, 04:37:01 pm »
Hey thanks for making my point for me.  The reason why Turtle goes along with everything the Orange Piss Pot does is a combination of Trump knows what Russia found out about him, his wife's job depends on it, and Trump's more popular then him in Kentucky.  All that equals the most spineless worm in Congress at the moment who's doing everything in his power to keep the baby happy.

Ironbite-cause if he doesn't, bye bye cushy Congressional job.

I agree on the second--but McConnell might be ruthless enough anyway (in the abstract), if he thought it would be politically beneficial, and Sec. Chao could probably find a perfectly good private sector job.

To the first, I still doubt Trump has much dirt on McConnell, or most anyone else.

Ultimately it's the third that's the real killer here, and that's why I suspect just about any Republican would do the same in McConnell's position--they'd have a hell of a time winning their primary if they didn't. (Murkowski possibly excluded--she might lose her primary, but she already did that once and won as a write-in anyway.)

Any Republican President would pursue largely the same policies as Trump. Given Trump, any Republican Congressional leader would pursue largely the same path with respect to Trump as Ryan and McConnell.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2966 on: April 17, 2019, 05:44:58 pm »

Dynamic Paragon Lana, why does your head always happen to be in the sand?
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #2967 on: April 17, 2019, 05:56:19 pm »

The laws they've been drawing up for the states they control are clearly designed to ban abortion entirely.  And they want to push them to the Supreme Court to get the SC to reverse Roe.

The one they just passed in Texas makes abortion MURDER.  With all punishments included, including the death penalty.  I doubt they're stupid enough to try for it, but still...

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2968 on: April 17, 2019, 06:05:37 pm »

The laws they've been drawing up for the states they control are clearly designed to ban abortion entirely.  And they want to push them to the Supreme Court to get the SC to reverse Roe.

The one they just passed in Texas makes abortion MURDER.  With all punishments included, including the death penalty.  I doubt they're stupid enough to try for it, but still...

Are you referring to Rep. Tinderholt's bill?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/11/18304825/abortion-texas-tony-tinderholt-death-penalty-bill

I thought that was just proposed.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #2969 on: April 17, 2019, 11:31:06 pm »

I'm sure he just got emotional and made a typo.

Dynamic Paragon Lana, why does your head always happen to be in the sand?