Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1671594 times)

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #3600 on: September 16, 2013, 07:48:56 pm »
They don't. There have been strikes and protests by fast food workers and they're demanding $15/hour.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #3601 on: September 16, 2013, 08:11:38 pm »

$100 says the maker of that graphic supported the NSA back in 2006.

They don't. There have been strikes and protests by fast food workers and they're demanding $15/hour.

In all seriousness, I agree that $15 an hour is a bit high for minimum wage workers. I'd recommend a $10.50 an hour wage.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3602 on: September 16, 2013, 08:12:43 pm »
And yet, we're told 'get a job' as kids, and then bitched at and treated like shit for 'being a burger flipper'.

We can't fuckin' win.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #3603 on: September 16, 2013, 08:21:42 pm »
And yet, we're told 'get a job' as kids, and then bitched at and treated like shit for 'being a burger flipper'.

We can't fuckin' win.

It's kind of funny. Charles J. Sykes, in his book "50 Things You Won't Learn In School" chastised teenagers for displaying exactly this kind of attitude, telling them that their grandparents would have called it an opportunity. This same guy is a right-wing radio host in Milwaukee who denigrates exactly these types of people for asking for a more reasonable pay (he also denied the existence of the economic crisis of 2008 right up until Obama became President in January in 2009, when he suddenly decided the crisis was real and that Obama was to blame). Suddenly these guys are "entitled" and "freeloaders." It's amazing how one's views on a group of people can change when said group of people isn't supporting the policies you support.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3604 on: September 16, 2013, 08:27:35 pm »
Whoever thinks that working at fast food is as simple as "breathing" and "flipping burgers" needs to spend one day actually "flipping burgers"

I think they'll find that it's a lot more complicated than that.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3605 on: September 16, 2013, 08:31:43 pm »
Working at a busy restaurant, whether a fast food chain or a sit down full service place, is in the top five of the most stressful jobs, according to the APA. It's right up there with fire fighters, police, EMT's, ER nurses, etc. I'm off now to find that study and link to it.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3606 on: September 16, 2013, 08:52:09 pm »

Interesting that their reaction to this disparity is "Fast food workers are demanding too much" as opposed to "Soldiers are making too little"

The situations aren't remotely comparable, of course, but still, interesting.
Σא

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #3607 on: September 16, 2013, 10:06:31 pm »

Interesting that their reaction to this disparity is "Fast food workers are demanding too much" as opposed to "Soldiers are making too little"

The situations aren't remotely comparable, of course, but still, interesting.

Wingnuts always have seem to have skewed priorities.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3608 on: September 17, 2013, 12:25:35 am »
Also, as noted elsewhere, that $25,913 (probably) doesn't take into account the government's paying for board and such.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3609 on: September 17, 2013, 12:31:47 am »
Also, a Sergeant with 2 years experience is still a pretty green person. The more time you put in and the more you rank up the more money you get as well as better housing and more privileges.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3610 on: September 17, 2013, 06:08:48 am »
Whoever thinks that working at fast food is as simple as "breathing" and "flipping burgers" needs to spend one day actually "flipping burgers"

I think they'll find that it's a lot more complicated than that.

Of all the jobs I've worked, my high school fast food gig was easily the most demanding of the bunch. I get stressed out just thinking about what a typical shift entailed. Even after I was promoted to supervisor, I had to deal with all kinds of shit while running the opening shift on the weekend, not the least of which was bitchy customers and asshole bosses who used me as a scapegoat for every stupid little thing.

Obviously, none of that compares to the stress of being a soldier on the front line, but the fact that a shittier job exists hardly justifies paying fast food workers unlivable wages. I also find it rather telling that no one ever points out that soldiers who are putting their lives on the line for their country make pennies compared to a lazy, selfish CEO who awards himself a bonus while thousands of employees are being laid off during a recession.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3611 on: September 17, 2013, 10:32:56 am »
I couldn't handle being a dishwasher

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3612 on: September 17, 2013, 01:32:10 pm »

30 year restaurant business pro here. Dishwashing is one of the hardest and most stressful jobs in that business. The entire restaurant operation can come to a halt if the disher doesn't keep up with demand during a rush. Even the best veteran disher will sink under the weeds if the machine breaks, or the grease trap backflows. When working as a manager, I always dreaded it if we had only a rookie disher when an unexpected rush hit. I had to go there and help. It was the only position that absolutely required immediate attention in an understaffed or rookie staff situation. I will say without any shame that even I could not handle being a solo disher during a rush - it is mind boggling how fucking awful it can get back behind that dish pit, friends. Steamy screamin' hell.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3613 on: September 17, 2013, 01:37:08 pm »
I think its a pretty safe bet that the people who call minimum wage and near minium wage jobs "easy" never had to work food service or retail.
Who needs a signature?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3614 on: September 17, 2013, 01:45:12 pm »

30 year restaurant business pro here. Dishwashing is one of the hardest and most stressful jobs in that business. The entire restaurant operation can come to a halt if the disher doesn't keep up with demand during a rush. Even the best veteran disher will sink under the weeds if the machine breaks, or the grease trap backflows. When working as a manager, I always dreaded it if we had only a rookie disher when an unexpected rush hit. I had to go there and help. It was the only position that absolutely required immediate attention in an understaffed or rookie staff situation. I will say without any shame that even I could not handle being a solo disher during a rush - it is mind boggling how fucking awful it can get back behind that dish pit, friends. Steamy screamin' hell.
Your pants are gonna be ruined from all the bleach