Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1113608 times)

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #4575 on: December 10, 2015, 09:38:51 pm »
Subjugating verbs is a way of organizing and recording communication data in the purest sense of the word

Subjugating verbs.

That's just brilliant.

CHECK YOUR NOUN PRIVILEGE!

Check your patient-physician privilege!
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

pyro

« Reply #4576 on: December 10, 2015, 10:41:01 pm »
At least at one American university, there's a distinction between quantitative science, social science, and humanities.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #4577 on: December 11, 2015, 06:43:57 am »
At least at one American university, there's a distinction between quantitative science, social science, and humanities.

Basically the same as the difference between observational science and historical science.

"Expanding definitions of a term to include your nonsense because butthurt"

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #4578 on: December 11, 2015, 08:45:06 am »

Basically the same as the difference between observational science and historical science.

not quite. one is quantifiable science obeying the laws of science (you know, like repeatability and empiricism), the other follows the scientific method, but can't replicate the results. like sociology, or geography.

you try doing demographics to predict the next epidemic. humans have a tendency to throw math, and logic out the window.

one thing i am butthurt over, though, is that economics are considered a hard science. seriously, economists have the same success-rate as astrologers when it comes to predicting trends!
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

pyro

« Reply #4579 on: December 11, 2015, 12:02:21 pm »

Are you saying that there is no meaningful distinction between them? Or that there is?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4580 on: December 11, 2015, 01:51:32 pm »

If I'm reading you right, you think real science is "observational science" and "historical science" is nonsense being included in the term to give it prestige by association? Or is your point something different?
Σא

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #4581 on: December 11, 2015, 07:17:48 pm »
Ey, not everyone can be software developers or engineers.  The world needs janitors and Starbucks barristas as much as it needs STEM majors.

That was kind of my point.  If you get hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of government paid tuition that qualifies you for nothing more than a minimum wage job, the government has basically thrown that money away.

Money spent on learning is NEVER "thrown away."  I would argue that knowing about more things is a form of self-improvement, even if it doesn't change your job prospects one iota.

Naturally, I'm one of them thar hippies in favor of free tuition as a result, but come ON--without the arts, our lives would be much more bland.  Our culture is richer for the arts, and to pretend that liberal-arts degrees are worthless just because there's no liberal-arts career path at the moment is to decry all the benefits of creative, out-of-the-box thinking.

As for why US tuitions are so fucking high nowadays, a good bit of the increase appears to be because universities have suddenly hired a bunch of administrative staff, and they're getting paid ridiculous salaries.  I don't care WHAT you do for the university, you do NOT deserve a seven-figure salary.  Ever.  At all.

Plus, some things have a value beyond the dollar amount.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:23:40 pm by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4582 on: December 11, 2015, 07:28:25 pm »
I'm reminded of that scene in Dead Poets Society where Robin Williams explains to the boys about poetry.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #4583 on: December 11, 2015, 09:51:29 pm »
Ey, not everyone can be software developers or engineers.  The world needs janitors and Starbucks barristas as much as it needs STEM majors.

That was kind of my point.  If you get hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of government paid tuition that qualifies you for nothing more than a minimum wage job, the government has basically thrown that money away.

Money spent on learning is NEVER "thrown away."  I would argue that knowing about more things is a form of self-improvement, even if it doesn't change your job prospects one iota.

Naturally, I'm one of them thar hippies in favor of free tuition as a result, but come ON--without the arts, our lives would be much more bland.  Our culture is richer for the arts, and to pretend that liberal-arts degrees are worthless just because there's no liberal-arts career path at the moment is to decry all the benefits of creative, out-of-the-box thinking.

As for why US tuitions are so fucking high nowadays, a good bit of the increase appears to be because universities have suddenly hired a bunch of administrative staff, and they're getting paid ridiculous salaries.  I don't care WHAT you do for the university, you do NOT deserve a seven-figure salary.  Ever.  At all.

don't mind me, qft...
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4584 on: January 08, 2016, 05:02:39 pm »

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4585 on: January 08, 2016, 08:22:22 pm »
And business, banking, insurance, communications, law, design, entertainment and all the other fields that make civilization organized and enjoyable, as well as structurally and systemically functional.

I like how you just listed a bunch of useful subjects but sneakily added useless wank like "communications" and "entertainment" as if no one would notice.

My masters in bagpipe management should come in handy at interview XD

Who is going to produce, write, record, act in and distribute your favorite films and tv shows, Conty? An astrophysicist? A mathematician?

Who is going to produce, crew manage, research, present, record and distribute your thrice daily or continuous news programs? A geologist? A biochemist?

Who is going to compose the wording, edit and choose photos and layout and produce video presentations to promote business enterprises, Conty? Material scientists? Civil engineers?

The last two sound like great ideas actually... Truth and accuracy in news and advertising would be nice for once.

The highest paid government employee in the state of Oklahoma is the Bob Stoops, college football coach, being paid $5.25 million a year. Hear a list of all states, in slideshow format, showing the highest paid government employee of every state. Guess what by far the most common job to hold the spot is? Football coach, which seems to be followed by basketball coach.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #4586 on: January 14, 2016, 04:04:22 am »
Who is going to produce, write, record, act in and distribute your favorite films and tv shows, Conty? An astrophysicist? A mathematician?

Who is going to produce, crew manage, research, present, record and distribute your thrice daily or continuous news programs? A geologist? A biochemist?

Who is going to compose the wording, edit and choose photos and layout and produce video presentations to promote business enterprises, Conty? Material scientists? Civil engineers?

The last two sound like great ideas actually... Truth and accuracy in news and advertising would be nice for once.

While I agree it would be nice to have people who actually understand the field present the information. I can also say from experience that that is a terrible idea. Your good engineers and biochemists are happiest in a lab doing what they are passionate about. Asking them to present something and make it pretty is quite often far outside of their comfort zone and most often contrary to their own desires. In some cases you are lucky, and you have a creative engineer and such, but that is not to norm. It often helps to have someone who is creative to act as a buffer between different groups of individuals to facilitate communication and make it enjoyable for all parties involved.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4587 on: January 31, 2016, 06:31:30 pm »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4588 on: February 03, 2016, 02:39:31 am »

pyro

« Reply #4589 on: February 03, 2016, 08:35:06 pm »
The wall that China spent thousands of years building. In four years at most.