Author Topic: Mind Games Christians Play  (Read 14319 times)

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
Re: Mind Games Christians Play
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 06:01:20 pm »
Was anyone else taught that God can "hear" everything you think whether you want him to or not? And that every thought you have should be dedicated to him 24/7?
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 06:16:03 pm »
Does it count that when you told a youth pastor about how you felt about being the shortest in the class that God has to have a reason for it but pray for it and you'll get taller and then when you say you have that you must have 'done it wrong' or 'made God upset' that you didn't like 'His plan'?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 09:14:17 pm »
Let's talk about spending seven and a half hours being evangelized to - and that's what they explicitly called it - as part of a mandatory requirement to get confirmed. Where you're given a list of every commandment and ways that it could be interpreted - how wishing someone harm was breaking "thou shalt not kill", how masturbation and lustful thoughts were adultery, how wanting more than what you currently had was coveting. And then you have to go to confession, crying, because you've broken all of them. Having other people, only a bit older than you, give testimony about how they used to be ignorant of Catholic teachings until they learned what they meant and so grew in their love of Christ and how God loves you even if you're a terrible, terrible person, you sinner who's going to Hell.

Don't forget craziness about scapulars and making novenas!  And how you HAVE to pray the rosary EVERY day or you'll BURN IN HELL!!!

To make a long story short for myself, I used to be in the Morg (LDS church), but the events of 9/13/01 told me it was time to get the hell out.

News Flash: The_L's sweet 16 turns Stormwarden away from God!  Details at 11. :P
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:16:43 pm by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 10:53:55 pm »
Oh hey, another mind game to bring up.

You know how fundies love to pound into people's heads that "homosexuality = pedophilia" right?

Well, I used to be friends with a few kids younger than me.  I baby sat for them occasionally.  I never once even thought about doing anything to them.

Now that I'm out of the closet, I think back to the fundies that judge people based on that and I become completely paranoid.  Not just about my actions, but about my thoughts.  Remember, for half of my life, I belonged to a religion where thoughts could damn you to hell.

So, my attempts to censor my own thoughts have created a weird sort of paradigm where the censoring is causing the thoughts.  And then I got scared that "Does this mean I'm actually a pedophile!?"

I've never gotten aroused from it, but I've been so terrified of it that I've caused myself quite a bit of mental anguish over it.

Finally, after... 5 years, I finally talked to someone about it.  They reassured me that I'm fine, it's just the headgames that Christians play.  And now that I've brought it out instead of keeping it to myself, eventually, I'll relax about it.

I'm still nervous and paranoid, but I think it's about time to stop this nonsense.  So, I'm going to try to relax now.

Damn, fundie mindgames persist even when you think you've finally gotten them all out...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 03:14:46 pm »
zachski, I can only imagine how terrifying that is.  I imagine it would be hard enough coming out, but in that kind of environment, AND the fear of hell.  Wow...

And I know what you mean about questioning your thoughts.  It's bad enough that Christians get you paranoid about sin and all that, but they make you think that you're such an evil person that what ever you do is just to spite god.  Because if I decide to masturbate, I'm not doing it for my own pleasure, I'm doing it to offend god!  They get you overthinking everything you do to the point of insanity.  What helped me snap out of it was this excellent article showing similarities between the Christian god and an abuser.

Unfortunately, the fear was still there and because there are so many different extremes and interpretations of Christianity, I assumed the abusive gods were just extreme versions (another mind game).  At that time, I started watching youtube debates involving Christians and they were so good at making you think that their opponents were only supporting views that were contrary to theirs to spite them.  Straight and support same sex marriage?  I must be doing it to spite Christians and drive them out!

They are so good at making themselves look like the poor persecuted victims who are being oppressed by the evil minorities.  In reality, they are just spoiled, whinny little kids who are jealous that they have to acknowledge and respect the rights of others.  At this point, even if someone was doing something just to spite Christians (provided it's not dangerous), I would completely understand.  Their mind games and bullshit are just so infuriating that I think some of these idiots deserve the hate.  The only sympathy I have is that maybe they are brainwashed and under the same oppressive system.  In that case, they are the victims, but that still doesn't make their bullshit any less bullshit.   

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 03:52:30 pm »
When I was little, I thought every strange noise was the beginning of the rapture. What made it worse was that we lived about half a mile from our town's main train track. When I was a kid the train noises scared me because I thought Jesus was coming back and would leave me.
Then I would hear the train whistle and feel like a huge dumbass.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 11:58:52 am »
A few more.

-Black and white thinking: Fundies are nitorious for this.  Everything is black and white to the point of insanity.  It's either one way or the other, no in betweens.  Morality for instance, they see all sins as equal.  The average Joe who tells white lies, commits thought crimes, and stole a candy bar as a kid will go to hell, but a serial rapist/murderer will go to heaven if he accepts Jesus.  And since the standard is impossible to adhear to, everyone who isn't a Christian (aka saved) will go to hell.  And then there's the extreme afterlife, one is the worst fate imaginable and the other is the best fate imaginable (supposidly).  NO in betweens?  Especially since reality is far more complex than some black and white morality.   

-Everything is a religion: If you don't fully agree with everything they say, YOU HAVE YOUR OWN RELIGION!!  Just want to live your life, go to school/work, and not affect anyone?  THAT'S A RELIGION TOO!!  Every other view is a fucking religion never mind that theirs is the most controlling and demanding.  Another form of black and white, all or nothing thinking to gain complience. 

-Speaking for God: Christians say God this and God that, you gotta get right with god, do things god's way, ect ect.  What they really mean is "do things my way".  God isn't doing any speaking here, they are.  They may use bible versus to justify what they say, but so do other Christians.  Since I hear all this shit about false prophets from these same people, I would rather hear from the big man himself, especially since they aren't a religion, but a "relationship".

Once you see that many of these arguements are based on logical fallacies, the whole thing falls apart. 

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 09:02:02 pm »
See... this is exactly why although I self-identify as Christian, I hate other Christians, and most religions - I consider myself closer to being spiritual. My personal beliefs transcend dogma, holy books, and hypocrites.
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 10:14:36 pm »
When I was little, I thought every strange noise was the beginning of the rapture. What made it worse was that we lived about half a mile from our town's main train track. When I was a kid the train noises scared me because I thought Jesus was coming back and would leave me.
Then I would hear the train whistle and feel like a huge dumbass.

I saw a 60 Minutes thing on the Rapture and thought that it was real (I was like ten or so). I became strangely paranoid of turning twelve, since that particular documentary said that only devout Christians and children under twelve would survive the Rapture. I didn't know it was a Protestant thing and not a Catholic thing, so I resolved for about a week to pray more and try to go to Confession in case the Rapture struck unexpectedly.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 11:03:32 am »
I saw a 60 Minutes thing on the Rapture and thought that it was real (I was like ten or so). I became strangely paranoid of turning twelve, since that particular documentary said that only devout Christians and children under twelve would survive the Rapture. I didn't know it was a Protestant thing and not a Catholic thing, so I resolved for about a week to pray more and try to go to Confession in case the Rapture struck unexpectedly.
Took me until I was in college to start really finding out more about the “born again” style of Christianity. I was so confused when some kids from the Campus Crusade for Christ gave me a tract. It might have been a Chick tract, even, but I don’t really recall for sure. I just didn’t understand half the content of the thing.
-A Pen Name

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 02:54:47 pm »
Just an observation...For being an all powerful entity, Yahweh sure does get butthurt an awful lot. You would think a supreme cosmic being would be as cool as a cucumber. It seems to me that the Christians are worshipping the equivalent of an angry toddler with the power to see you tortured for eternity for not doing exactly what it wants, regardless of how petty.
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 04:11:53 pm »
Yeah, you’d think omniscience would come with some perspective.
-A Pen Name