Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1113289 times)

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #1770 on: February 27, 2013, 12:09:24 pm »
Wouldn't he be found at fault for not wearing safety gear, though?

Depends on the state. Not all states have helmet laws, and there is no requirement anywhere that I know of that requires any other gear. I've seen people on sport bikes wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes, going 80 mph (129 kpm).

Most states do have laws that reduce liability based on percentage of fault. In the case of the picture, if a fact-finder (judge or jury) decided the rider was 30% at fault because he was riding without protective gear, his award would be reduced by 30%. However, even if the fact-finder finds the biker was 99% at fault, the driver would still owe the biker 1% of medical bills. (There is no way to determine the biker is 100% at fault since the driver did rear-end the biker.) A few states have laws that say if the plaintiff is more than 50% at fault, they recover nothing, but not many.

Illinois requires eye protection, but not helmets.  This can be a pair of sunglasses (just something covering the eyes).  If a helmet is work, it must have a visor, or eyewear must be worn underneath

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #1771 on: March 03, 2013, 02:07:30 pm »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1772 on: March 03, 2013, 02:14:08 pm »
Okay then, I'll just take my money elsewhere.  Bye.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Southern Comforter

• Bishop
« Reply #1773 on: March 03, 2013, 02:19:43 pm »

>votes for a candidate who promises to take guns out of the hands of stupid & irresponsible people
>"hurp, ur too stewpid and errispons'bul to own a gun!"
>"Gun store clerk shoots and kills 5 infants, wounds 11 at maternity ward, screams, 'baby murder is legal, thanks Obama.' Continued on page 5A"

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #1774 on: March 03, 2013, 04:06:25 pm »

And just how are these policies going to be enforced?

I doubt any purchase would require some proof of vote.

Anyone can just lie, get the receipt and merchandise, then admit the truth.

• Bishop
« Reply #1775 on: March 03, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »

And just how are these policies going to be enforced?

I doubt any purchase would require some proof of vote.

Anyone can just lie, get the receipt and merchandise, then admit the truth.
It's been a while since I bought a gun (a very long while considering that all the ones I have were passed down to me), but I think in Texas (as well as some other states), voter registration is required to buy a gun because birth certificates, green cards, social security numbers, and drivers licenses aren't enough to prove you're a citizen. Although that may be something I just overheard from my one conservative friend.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #1776 on: March 03, 2013, 04:27:24 pm »
Thanks for making pro-gun people like me look bad, douche.

This is just proof that extremists from within a group cause more damage to its reputation than enemies from the outside.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #1777 on: March 03, 2013, 04:33:37 pm »

"How dare Obama try to infringe on the second amendment!  That's the job of private business owners!"

• Bishop
« Reply #1778 on: March 03, 2013, 04:35:57 pm »
UPDATE: Voter registration isn't required to purchase a long gun or hand gun in the state of Texas. You do need a valid state ID, though. There's also apparently no waiting period in Texas. That's kind of scary considering we're right next to Mexico and Cartel/Mafia violence is almost always on the rise.

Thanks for making pro-gun people like me look bad, douche.

This is just proof that extremists from within a group cause more damage to its reputation than enemies from the outside.
Depending on how you mean it, I'm pro-gun as well. I think those qualified to own weapons should be allowed to own them and carry them into public for self-defense. However, I think there should be restrictions as to what kind of weapons you can carry into public, how difficult it should be to obtain these weapons, and what kind of weapons you can own at home. That's what the constitution says. You can't keep a fucking cannon in your house, but handguns and long guns should be allowed. The second amendment is actually a big fat middle finger to both extremities.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #1779 on: March 03, 2013, 04:50:34 pm »
I feel about guns the same way I feel about keeping big scary creepy-crawly things (tarantulas, scorpions, giant cockroaches, etc...) for pets: I don't like them, they scare me, they make me uncomfortable, I certainly don't want any, and I don't want to live with someone or in a house that has them. I also know that, statistically speaking, I'm probably not going to get hurt by them and they're largely not as dangerous as they seem. Other people can have them if they really want 'em, but I don't have any desire to have anything to do with them and wouldn't feel bad if one day they all disappeared.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #1780 on: March 03, 2013, 04:51:59 pm »
I feel about guns the same way I feel about keeping big scary creepy-crawly things (tarantulas, scorpions, giant cockroaches, etc...) for pets: I don't like them, they scare me, they make me uncomfortable, I certainly don't want any, and I don't want to live with someone or in a house that has them. I also know that, statistically speaking, I'm probably not going to get hurt by them and they're largely not as dangerous as they seem. Other people can have them if they really want 'em, but I don't have any desire to have anything to do with them and wouldn't feel bad if one day they all disappeared.

It's okay to feel that way, as long as you don't try to infringe on my rights.  I don't judge.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #1781 on: March 03, 2013, 04:55:25 pm »
That's exactly what I said I DIDN'T want to do. You're free to own guns and creepy-crawlies. That's your right. Just a) be responsible with them, b) don't expect me to be totally comfortable to them because they really DO make me incredibly uncomfortable, and c) don't wave them in my face and scream about your right to own them when I express the fact that I don't like them.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #1782 on: March 03, 2013, 05:02:02 pm »
That's exactly what I said I DIDN'T want to do. You're free to own guns and creepy-crawlies. That's your right. Just a) be responsible with them, b) don't expect me to be totally comfortable to them because they really DO make me incredibly uncomfortable, and c) don't wave them in my face and scream about your right to own them when I express the fact that I don't like them.

Exactly.  That's what I was agreeing with you on.

Still, I wonder what would happen if I refused to sell one of my guns to a Tea Partier.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #1783 on: March 03, 2013, 05:12:19 pm »
...yanno, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure it's illegal for businesses to discriminate based on political affiliation just like it's illegal to discriminate based on race, sex, sexual orientation, or religion, but do those same laws apply to private sales? You're not a business, after all (I'm assuming), so is it still illegal for you to refuse to sell to people because you disagree with their views? If I had guns (or anything more dangerous than, like, a rubber ducky) I definitely wouldn't wanna sell it to a Tea Partier.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #1784 on: March 03, 2013, 06:37:42 pm »
Apparently, it's not okay to refuse to sell anything to any sane, well behaved, mentally competent, sober, law abiding person in your store who is not violating any posted store rules (dress code, etc.) because it is defined as a business open to the public. Gun shows and flea markets count, too, since the independent vendors - whether owning a business license or not - are selling within the structure of a licensed business open to the public. If you sell in your home or at your yard sale on your private property, you could refuse a purchaser, but would be wide open to civil litigation if they can prove it was discrimination based on 14th Amendment rights; age, gender, race, religion or personal philosophy. That last bit pretty much covers political philosophy, too, unless you are provably or obviously an individual,, or a member of an organization, on the federal lists for terrorism and/or hate crimes.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.