Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1113891 times)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #3120 on: February 22, 2014, 11:10:39 pm »

Yes, because all twenty-somethings are as talented as Orson Welles.

Pajama Boy is adorkable & I wanna snuggle him so THERE! *PBBBBHT!*

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3121 on: February 23, 2014, 02:53:53 am »

Now, get that little group's name to reflect (rough) reality: One third of one percent supporting traditional marriage.

Its adorable that they think they'll achieve anything with such pitiful numbers.  Get to at least 1% of the population of the country first and we'll talk.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #3122 on: February 23, 2014, 04:21:11 am »
Ugh. While I guess that cartoon is TECHNICALLY correct about Sodom and Gomorrah, as far as I know homosexuality wasn't the main reason. Leaving aside the fact that it was FORCED homosexuality, they were guilty of numerous sins. I personally think that their very Ayn Rand-esque ban on charity probably ranked near or at the top.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #3123 on: February 23, 2014, 04:22:46 am »

Good, but you can simply accept them into are lives!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3124 on: February 23, 2014, 05:56:51 am »

I'm not willing to let Jews steal my money just to prove how tolerant I am, ect. The only other choice is mass murder, of course.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #3125 on: February 23, 2014, 12:00:18 pm »

has anyone mentioned this yet?

Now this was the sin of Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen. —Ezekiel 16:49-50

Is it me or is the cartoon misrepresenting what Jesus actually is supposed to have said about why Sodom was destroyed?

I dont' see much about gay marriage there.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #3126 on: February 23, 2014, 02:38:48 pm »

Didn't Sodom and Gomorrah's story involved the hero throwing his daughters to the crowds in order to save an apparently useless angel? Traditional marriage: bad parenting and making girls expendable. 1000000 people seemingly support that.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3127 on: February 23, 2014, 02:57:32 pm »
Didn't Sodom and Gomorrah's story involved the hero throwing his daughters to the crowds in order to save an apparently useless angel? Traditional marriage: bad parenting and making girls expendable. 1000000 people seemingly support that.

If I remember the point of it correctly, the angels were Lot's guests and they were, by tradition, under his protection. So the fact that Lot was willing to give his daughters to the crowd was a way of showing how far he was ready to go to keep his word. (No word on the opinions of his daughters about being given to some random angry mob for a gangbang/rape...)

And when the crowd went beyond demands and tried to break the doors the angels did act and blind them all. So it's not like the angels were useless, they just didn't act untill things got violent and they did save Lot's family.

But I do agree 100% that in that scene girls seemed to be concidered expendable.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3128 on: February 23, 2014, 03:10:17 pm »

If I remember the point of it correctly, the angels were Lot's guests and they were, by tradition, under his protection. So the fact that Lot was willing to give his daughters to the crowd was a way of showing how far he was ready to go to keep his word. (No word on the opinions of his daughters about being given to some random angry mob for a gangbang/rape...)

And when the crowd went beyond demands and tried to break the doors the angels did act and blind them all. So it's not like the angels were useless, they just didn't act untill things got violent and they did save Lot's family.

But I do agree 100% that in that scene girls seemed to be concidered expendable.
I think the point of the story is to show that Lot was a flawed man.  The Bible doesn't sugarcoat that kind of thing.

Was Lot righteous in his own merit, or just relatively good?  The text here doesn't seem to argue for the former; if Lot was more righteous than the other residents of Sodom (evidenced by the fact that he was saved), that doesn't actually mean he was virtuous.  The bar there was pretty low if the town's response to visitors was to initiate gang-rape.

So what kind of a man offers his daughters for rape?  A man with low enough moral standards that, given the choice of the whole region after his separation from Abraham, he nonetheless chose to live in Sodom, a wicked city.  A truly righteous person would do neither of these, but nonetheless Lot was apparently "good enough" to merit rescue.  Either that, or being Abraham's nephew counted for something.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #3129 on: February 23, 2014, 04:38:00 pm »

I think the point of the story is to show that Lot was a flawed man.  The Bible doesn't sugarcoat that kind of thing.

Was Lot righteous in his own merit, or just relatively good?  The text here doesn't seem to argue for the former; if Lot was more righteous than the other residents of Sodom (evidenced by the fact that he was saved), that doesn't actually mean he was virtuous.  The bar there was pretty low if the town's response to visitors was to initiate gang-rape.

So what kind of a man offers his daughters for rape?  A man with low enough moral standards that, given the choice of the whole region after his separation from Abraham, he nonetheless chose to live in Sodom, a wicked city.  A truly righteous person would do neither of these, but nonetheless Lot was apparently "good enough" to merit rescue.  Either that, or being Abraham's nephew counted for something.

That's some pretty questionable logic.  Also, there's an unfortunate implication that "God plays favorites" with people based solely on the family they were born into, or because they're "better" in some fashion.

Sorry, Ultimate Paragon.  I know you're trying to defend the Bible and all, but those arguments aren't really that compelling.  If anything, the implications of your defense are more disturbing than the idea that Lot was a totally righteous man.

At it's best it points to any god that does exist as a potentially fallible being, I'd think.  At it's worst it points to a malicious/arbitrary being who people must always defend.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 04:42:33 pm by Captain Jack Harkness »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3130 on: February 23, 2014, 04:46:22 pm »
Well, the Lord works in mysterious ways.  Maybe He saw a glimmer of goodness in Lot and thought he would improve.  Maybe He wanted the sordid tale of Sodom and Gomorrah to get out.  Or maybe there's something else I'm missing.

Anyway, I found this bit of inanity.

Yes, I get the two mixed up all the time.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 04:56:06 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #3131 on: February 23, 2014, 05:18:41 pm »

According to this vid, Lot wasn't being serious in offering his daughters for rape, but was actaully insulting them, by saying they should rape a less honorable target.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbBHj2WF7u0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbBHj2WF7u0</a>
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3132 on: February 23, 2014, 05:20:30 pm »

According to this vid, Lot wasn't being serious in offering his daughters for rape, but was actaully insulting them, by saying they should rape a less honorable target.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbBHj2WF7u0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbBHj2WF7u0</a>
I hadn't heard that interpretation before, but it seems to make sense.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3133 on: February 23, 2014, 09:55:10 pm »
It's a good example of yet another reason for not taking the bible as factual truth, word for word, especially from the context of a modern person's mind, much less even the minds of 8th century Europeans (council of Nicea).

It's why Revelations doesn't make any sense, even by biblical standards. Many Hebrew scholars are almost sure it was ethnic folklore, catch phrases and metaphors used as a secret code to keep far flung protochristian Jewish conclaves informed about early church business, and any threats from within or from Roman officials acting against them. It would not be decipherable to outsiders if they intercepted any of these letters of correspondence. Too bad so much of old Hebrew culture and early Christian idioms are lost in time, or we could figure out what the messages hidden in Revelations were actually about.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #3134 on: February 23, 2014, 10:04:18 pm »
It's a good example of yet another reason for not taking the bible as factual truth, word for word, especially from the context of a modern person's mind, much less even the minds of 8th century Europeans (council of Nicea).

4th century, actually. The Council of Nicea was in 325 AD.