Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1114329 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #3660 on: October 03, 2014, 12:10:28 pm »
Some people of Cuba, probably, but not all. I had a family friend who was a distant relative of Che who travelled to Cuba. By his account, everyone was delighted to hear his surname.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3661 on: October 03, 2014, 12:17:39 pm »
Che was a brute, a racist, and a mass murderer.  He may not have killed as many people as Stalin or Khomeini, but he was hardly heroic.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3662 on: October 03, 2014, 01:12:20 pm »
Some people of Cuba, probably, but not all. I had a family friend who was a distant relative of Che who travelled to Cuba. By his account, everyone was delighted to hear his surname.

Maybe actually Cubans feel that way, I know a Cuban refugee family who hate him.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3663 on: October 03, 2014, 04:26:32 pm »
Found some kind of weird MRA circlejerk or something on tumblr.
To be fair, one or two of these guys are annoying.

Nothing special, just felt like sharing.

Not going to comment on the rest of them, people have already said things that I would have said. I will just mention that Tatsuya Ishida did turn a popular, very funny comic into a thousand pages of unfunny feminist diatribe, and Sinfest just became boring as a result. Hell, it's barely even about the devil anymore.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #3664 on: October 03, 2014, 05:42:41 pm »

Maybe actually Cubans feel that way, I know a Cuban refugee family who hate him.
Well, the refugees are a rather biased source. They are the people who didn't like the sort of policies he brought.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3665 on: October 03, 2014, 08:34:23 pm »
Che was a brute, a racist, and a mass murderer.  He may not have killed as many people as Stalin or Khomeini, but he was hardly heroic.

Mass murderer? Did he even execute prisoners of war? He's as much a mass murderer as General Grant.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3666 on: October 03, 2014, 09:14:59 pm »

Mass murderer? Did he even execute prisoners of war? He's as much a mass murderer as General Grant.

I don't know if he executed POWs, but it's a demonstrable fact that he gloried in murder.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thor-halvorssen/an-open-letter-to-urban-o_b_1895353.html

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3667 on: October 03, 2014, 10:13:06 pm »

I don't know if he executed POWs, but it's a demonstrable fact that he gloried in murder.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thor-halvorssen/an-open-letter-to-urban-o_b_1895353.html

The article discusses the "murder" of Eutimio Guerra. This is ludicrously hypocritical. Guerra had committed a very serious military offence - he had sold out his unit, giving their position away to the Cuban air force for money. A British or American soldier would probably have been executed for the same offence at the time. Calling that murder is idiotic and calling the person who carried it out a butcher is a lie. Indeed, Guevara himself was executed. Are the CIA mass murdering butchers?

The article also talks about Guevara's alleged terrorist plot to blow up a railway station in the US, a plot he's supposed to have made in 1962. This attack would have presumably been a reaction to the actual American bombings that did take place inside Cuba and killed hundreds of Cuban civilians. Unlike the CIA, Guevara thought better of his terrorist campaign.

Look, I don't want to whitewash this. Guevara killed people. Guevara killed innocent people, probably. He killed political opponents, people who helped the fascist government of Cuba during the Revolution. Note that your article overestimated the death toll at La Cabana by ten times. He shot both outright war criminals and collaborators after brief, dodgy trials with loose rules of evidence (because no other sort of court was possible). So did virtually every liberator in history, from Washington to Eisenhower. We can condemn all those for their identical and mostly unavoidable crimes together, and stop this silly pretence that Guevara and Guevara alone was some Stalinist butcher. On the other hand, and unlike those other two great generals, he educated and fed millions, so there's that.

Now, the Cuban government has since collapsed into dictatorship - because absolute power corrupts ect, and also because Fidel was always a bit of a tyrant - but for a few years Cuba was actually a shining light of liberation.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #3668 on: October 03, 2014, 10:16:09 pm »

Oh, boy!
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline lord gibbon

• The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #3669 on: October 03, 2014, 10:53:14 pm »
Gotta go with Fred on this one. Condemn Guevara, and you must condemn Washington, Bolivar, Tecumseh, Mandela, and just about every other revolutionary in history.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #3670 on: October 04, 2014, 12:14:31 am »
Washington was a hypocritical slave owner.  He should get more condemnation then he currently does.  Mandela was involved with terrorism when he was younger, but rejected violence when it counted and didn't commit mass murder or help create an authoritarian state after he won.  I don't know enough about the other two to comment.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3671 on: October 04, 2014, 04:02:13 am »
Guess what: People aren't perfect saints (except Mother Teresa, maybe). And they're all products of their time. Of course Washington was a slave owner. He was a rich man living in Virginia. In slave times. We've evolved as a society quite a bit since then, pretty much universally for the better, but condemning George Washington for being a slaver is stupid unless you can prove that he was exceptionally bad for his time.

Besides, there's so much better stuff to condemn him for. Like his military incompetency. I wish I could elaborate on just how Washington was a terrible general, but I don't know all the facts myself: I rely on the word of a good friend of mine with a degree in military history.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline lord gibbon

• The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #3672 on: October 04, 2014, 04:31:10 am »
Guess what: People aren't perfect saints (except Mother Teresa, maybe). And they're all products of their time. Of course Washington was a slave owner. He was a rich man living in Virginia. In slave times. We've evolved as a society quite a bit since then, pretty much universally for the better, but condemning George Washington for being a slaver is stupid unless you can prove that he was exceptionally bad for his time.

Besides, there's so much better stuff to condemn him for. Like his military incompetency. I wish I could elaborate on just how Washington was a terrible general, but I don't know all the facts myself: I rely on the word of a good friend of mine with a degree in military history.
And ironically, Teresa is an example of a terrible person. The closest thing to a genuine saint I can think of is Gandhi, and even he was flawed.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3673 on: October 04, 2014, 08:38:13 am »

Funny, I didn't know it was in danger.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3674 on: October 04, 2014, 08:39:27 am »
Yeaaaah...Mother T was a crazy old Catholic bitch with a massive suffering kink.  Gandhi was a damn sight better, but he was definitely a product of his times.  If you want a perfect saint, if you want the avatar of kindness and love, if you want the closest thing we've got to the idealized version of Christ, you need look no further than this man:

(Fred Rogers)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 08:41:54 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.