Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1115241 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #4530 on: December 07, 2015, 11:54:30 am »
Eh, personally, I would define progressives as more pragmatic a group than the hippie crystal woo left. Unfortunately, quite a few hippie crystal woo types don't know the meaning of the generic word progressive, and are dumb enough to apply it to themselves. When in fact they are more likely to be Luddites, and not very sociologically or politically pragmatic.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #4531 on: December 07, 2015, 01:57:06 pm »
I knew about the shooting, I just didn't know that was the couple.

Media reports showing the faces and names of mass shooters encourages other potential killers so I'd counter it's a good thing if MSNBC and the young turks don't show their pictures. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303309504579181702252120052

And I get my news from Trevor Noah, Colbert and John Oliver, and other serious fact based journalism.  And it's sad that's not a joke.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #4532 on: December 07, 2015, 03:32:36 pm »
The guns they're carrying are pretty scary.

What guns? The picture just shows their heads.

Stop tarding.

Unfortunately, those specific two ARE threatening. They're the San Bernardino shooters.

Well, yes, we know that now, but you're acting like Skybison should have automatically known just by looking at the picture.

There's this little thing called reading the news.

Although if one is a progressive, one probably gets one's news from MSNBC or the Young Turks who'll go out of their way to avoid reporting things like this because facts don't fit the narrative.

Or, you heard about the shooting, but didn't see photos of the perps.  I didn't until just now.  Don't be an asshole for people not recognizing a criminal from an unlabeled picture.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #4533 on: December 07, 2015, 06:29:39 pm »
The guns they're carrying are pretty scary.

What guns? The picture just shows their heads.

Stop tarding.

Unfortunately, those specific two ARE threatening. They're the San Bernardino shooters.

Well, yes, we know that now, but you're acting like Skybison should have automatically known just by looking at the picture.

There's this little thing called reading the news.

Although if one is a progressive, one probably gets one's news from MSNBC or the Young Turks who'll go out of their way to avoid reporting things like this because facts don't fit the narrative.

Or, you heard about the shooting, but didn't see photos of the perps.  I didn't until just now.  Don't be an asshole for people not recognizing a criminal from an unlabeled picture.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/context

A mass shooting, widely reported.  Perpetrators reported as a muslim man and woman.  During a debate about the vetting of a potential flood of refugees from a warzone infested with a muslim terrorist group.

If you can't use the above clues to grasp the intent of the graphic as presented you likely have trouble with both "remembering to breathe" and "tying shoelaces unaided".

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4534 on: December 08, 2015, 01:59:44 am »
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/context

A mass shooting, widely reported.  Perpetrators reported as a muslim man and woman.  During a debate about the vetting of a potential flood of refugees from a warzone infested with a muslim terrorist group.

If you can't use the above clues to grasp the intent of the graphic as presented you likely have trouble with both "remembering to breathe" and "tying shoelaces unaided".

Ahem: You assume that any picture of a man and woman who look middle eastern (note, you can't make the claim that based on their appearance they must be Muslims. Ethnicity is not enough because there are a other religions as well in the region and the women wear veils, burghas and other head dresses because of the local traditions.) are automatically those terrorists. ...Besides, I thought there were three shooters?

This is like saying that if I show you a black and white picture of a man and talk about Kennedy you will automatically assume that the picture is about Lee Harvey Oswald.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #4535 on: December 08, 2015, 09:19:15 am »
There were few images of the San Bernardino couple in the US media for the first few days after the shooting. Conty would not know that, since he lives in Torry Olde England, the motherland of screaming photo tabloid journalism.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4536 on: December 08, 2015, 10:54:12 am »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4537 on: December 08, 2015, 11:18:51 am »
haha, look at those young people, wanting things.
Σא

Even Then

« Reply #4538 on: December 08, 2015, 11:46:00 am »
Wanting things is only okay when you want the current generation to not want things.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #4539 on: December 08, 2015, 12:10:16 pm »
Fun fact: Did you know that many of the people fighting in WWII were, shockers, drafted? As in not willingly serving at all?

Did you know that, just like in the 60s, there were a lot, and I mean a lot of conscientious objectors to WWII?

EDIT: Basically, what I'm saying is "greatest generation my ass".
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:16:05 pm by Eiki-mun »
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

pyro

« Reply #4540 on: December 08, 2015, 12:15:00 pm »
Three words: The New Deal.

(I know he technically said 1941, but that's only three years after the New Deal program ended!)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #4541 on: December 08, 2015, 01:56:51 pm »
Fun fact: Did you know that many of the people fighting in WWII were, shockers, drafted? As in not willingly serving at all?

Did you know that, just like in the 60s, there were a lot, and I mean a lot of conscientious objectors to WWII?

EDIT: Basically, what I'm saying is "greatest generation my ass".

There were even cartoons about draft-dodging back then.  I saw them on TV 40+ years later!
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #4542 on: December 08, 2015, 04:24:32 pm »
Fuck on a stick. The G.I Bill put millions of WWII vets through college, guaranteed home mortgage loans, VA healthcare, etc., et-fucking-cetera, and post war economy enjoyed the greatest growth period in US history. Both my Dad and uncle would stand up and applaud the idea of free university, as WWII vets, even though both were Republicans. The GOP was not insanely stupid back then.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #4543 on: December 09, 2015, 08:11:04 am »
Yeah but think of who is actually holding up those signs.  Giving a few hundred thousand liberal arts and gender studies majors free tuition is not something that is going to pay for itself through future income taxes.

There are only so many spaces in liberal newspapers for feminist columns complaining about how inanimate objects are sexist.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4544 on: December 09, 2015, 09:12:10 am »
Ey, not everyone can be software developers or engineers.  The world needs janitors and Starbucks barristas as much as it needs STEM majors.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.