Author Topic: Snake Handler Jamie Coots Dies  (Read 6916 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Snake Handler Jamie Coots Dies
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 01:55:59 pm »
Because bleach is dangerous!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Raymond Dullaghy

• Apprentice
  • God before dogma!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 02:27:19 pm »
Hey, I've handled snakes before without being harmed! OK, it was my high-school science teacher's pet Eastern King Snake (lampropeltis getula), but Elvis was a snake nonetheless! In fact, he seemed quite friendly.

But in all seriousness, you have to be a special kind of stupid to think that faith gives you a licence to handle venomous reptiles. Jesus is probably facepalming right now.
I'm in science to discover and analyze God's wonderful universe, not gripe about how people don't like God.  I believe the creation/evolution debate is a waste of Christian brains (we have them, believe it or not) that could be better spent on making actual things.

Favorite philosophers (out of the ones I've personally read): Jesus, Solomon, Marcus Aurelius, Immanuel Kant

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 04:00:10 pm »
"And then the Lord said unto ... Whoopsie!"
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 04:04:16 pm »
Because bleach is dangerous!
Actually, it's probably because it's poor showmanship. Anybody can drink something that may or may not be bleach out of a Clorox bottle, but rattlesnakes are cool and exciting!
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 04:43:58 pm »
In their minds, they are not tempting God, they are doing as the Bible says and demonstrating their faith due to one verse...Mark 16:18 - They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

That he died won't have an effect on them as far as handling snakes in the future.  Although this buffoon was their pastor, he died simply because, well, he just didn't have enough faith.

Makes me wonder why they don't just drink bleach to prove their faith instead of dicking around with the snakes.

There are some of these morons that do drink deadly poison to prove their faith.  As you can imagine, the results are not positive.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 05:26:46 pm »
Something I was wondering, is it possible to build a resistance, if not immunity, to snake venom or poisons and such in general?
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 05:31:30 pm »
Something I was wondering, is it possible to build a resistance, if not immunity, to snake venom or poisons and such in general?
It's possible to build up a resistance, but probably not complete immunity.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 06:14:36 pm »

That's... actually true.  But you gotta be amazingly careful with it and as far as what I've read (years ago, now), it takes a damned long time for your body to be able to adapt to even a tiny amount.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 06:36:52 pm »

That's... actually true.  But you gotta be amazingly careful with it and as far as what I've read (years ago, now), it takes a damned long time for your body to be able to adapt to even a tiny amount.

A few years if you're building up an immunity to iocane powder, last I heard. Granted, the fellow I heard it from was dressed all in black and wearing a mask and offered me a glass of wine, so he might not have been quite on the level.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 07:26:08 pm »
Hey, I've handled snakes before without being harmed! OK, it was my high-school science teacher's pet Eastern King Snake (lampropeltis getula), but Elvis was a snake nonetheless! In fact, he seemed quite friendly.

But in all seriousness, you have to be a special kind of stupid to think that faith gives you a licence to handle venomous reptiles. Jesus is probably facepalming right now.
I handle venomous (mortal even!) snakes regularly... Though only with a single species that I know very well, and doesn't attack humans when on the ground (they are very shy on the ground, since they only come up there to mate and sleep, they never attack there except if you step on them. In the water, it's a different matter).

I've even got a pic of nine-year old me wearing a live one as a necklace.

Though if you do it with another dangerous species, and no formal training, I'll call you an idiot.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 09:13:18 pm »
You got more guts than I do. The only snake I handle is my brother's humongous garter snake, and even then I'm extremely careful. Although I will say that's more for his protection than mine - if he bites me and I jerk away, he could get seriously injured.
Long Live The Queen.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 06:22:15 am »
You got more guts than I do. The only snake I handle is my brother's humongous garter snake, and even then I'm extremely careful. Although I will say that's more for his protection than mine - if he bites me and I jerk away, he could get seriously injured.

...Is "Garter snake" a real species? I thought it was just an euphenism. But then again, my mind is in the gutter so what would I know.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 07:09:32 am »
I almost wish it were a euphemism, if only because that would make Saving's post infinitely more amusing.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:31:28 am by Saving Fish From Drowning »
Long Live The Queen.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 11:54:33 am »
Yeah, I got it mixed up with trouser snake.

My bad.

And on the actual topic: This whole tradition is kinda silly since as was commented before, bible specifically mentions not to test God for silly reasons like this. Then again, this is not certainly the first or the last time christians act like they haven't even read that book.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!