Author Topic: Tacos, The Perfect Protest Food!  (Read 6511 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Tacos, The Perfect Protest Food!
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:51:58 pm »
So in a story that makes me fucking hungry, it appears that the a Connecticut mayor has been sent some tacos after making a quip to eat said food in "support of Latinos."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/26/us/connecticut-east-haven-tacos/

East Haven, Connecticut (CNN) -- Two days after a Connecticut mayor delivered an errant comment about eating tacos to support East Haven Latinos, some of whom are the alleged victims of police mistreatment, Mayor Joseph Maturo Jr. apparently got his wish.

Some 500 tacos were delivered to his office Thursday after a Latino activist group called Junta for Progressive Action launched a text-for-tacos campaign to draw attention to the comment, which Maturo later apologized for.

In the interview Tuesday, a local reporter pointed out that there were no Latino officers on East Haven's police force.

"And your point being?" Maturo responded.

Asked what he planned to do for the Latino community in light of the discrimination allegations, the mayor said, "I might have tacos when I go home, I'm not quite sure yet."

That set off the activist group, a local branch of the Reform Immigration for America organization, which said that anytime someone texts the word "taco" to 69866, it will deliver a taco to the mayor on their behalf.

They've received more than 2,600 texts, the group said in a statement Thursday.

"The mayor has shown a total lack of respect for the constituents he has been sworn to serve to the best of his ability," said Henry Fernandez, spokesman for the group.

Maturo twice apologized for the comments, saying his words were largely a product of stress.
Still, some 500 tacos were placed inside his office; the rest are already being rerouted to local food-assistance outlets.

"The town of East Haven has received an abundance of tacos as a result of the campaign initiated by the group 'Reform Immigration for America,'" said Maturo in a statement. "Recognizing that there are many in need in our state, we have arranged for all of the tacos to be donated to local soup kitchens and pantries, including the Downtown Evening Soup Kitchen in New Haven."
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Re: Tacos, The Perfect Protest Food!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 01:21:08 pm »
Probably a clever ruse to get free tacos.

Offline rosenewock21

• The Snuffleupagus of the Satanic Sesame Street
  • God
  • Holder of the sleepy time rag
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 01:23:34 pm »
Probably a clever ruse to get free tacos.

If that were the case he would have said "shots of tequila".
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:27:30 pm »
But tacos rule.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:01:48 pm »
Haha, I love it when people end up eating their bigoted statements.

Though tacos sound good.  Not nearly as good as

PIZZA

though. :3
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 03:05:52 pm »
So...a bigot makes a bigoted remark and he gets food?  Motherfucker, where's my 500 fucking tacos?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 04:30:03 pm »
If you want tacos, Ravynous, you better start dissin’ some Mexicans, and do it soon.

Then send a few my way. I could go for some.
-A Pen Name

Offline rosenewock21

• God
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 04:41:38 pm »
Who do we have to piss off to get decent crab rangoon?
Matthew 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." God's own "don't be a dick" rule.

Lithp and Vene really need to have some kind of confusing sexual encounter where Vene spends the entire session lovingly insulting Lithp's technique, then cums on his face, ruffles his hair, says, "You're all right, kid!", and then punches him in the nuts.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 04:45:14 pm »
Them damn, dirty Asians, of course.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline rosenewock21

• God
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 04:59:40 pm »
"Are those godzilla jockeys bitching again? Tell them we'll discuss their concerns over crab rangoon back at the FSTDT commune. That's F-S-T-D-T. No, we have our own private drive that leads up to the gate. No, see, you've got to turn off of... You know what, ask the local Baptist church. They know exactly how to get there."

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 05:35:09 pm »
Who do we have to piss off to get decent crab rangoon?

Them damn, dirty Asians, of course.

Naw, you needn't go that far.  Since we're talking about seafood, and since we're talking about people from other countries, just go insult the Newfies.  That'll get the job done, I think. :)

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 08:44:51 pm »
I want free tacos! :U

But I also do not want to be a bigot, so I guess I'm stuck buying my own. :L
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 09:05:19 pm »
So in a story that makes me fucking hungry, it appears that the a Connecticut mayor has been sent some tacos after making a quip to eat said food in "support of Latinos."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/26/us/connecticut-east-haven-tacos/

East Haven, Connecticut (CNN) -- Two days after a Connecticut mayor delivered an errant comment about eating tacos to support East Haven Latinos, some of whom are the alleged victims of police mistreatment, Mayor Joseph Maturo Jr. apparently got his wish.

Some 500 tacos were delivered to his office Thursday after a Latino activist group called Junta for Progressive Action launched a text-for-tacos campaign to draw attention to the comment, which Maturo later apologized for.

In the interview Tuesday, a local reporter pointed out that there were no Latino officers on East Haven's police force.

"And your point being?" Maturo responded.

Asked what he planned to do for the Latino community in light of the discrimination allegations, the mayor said, "I might have tacos when I go home, I'm not quite sure yet."

That set off the activist group, a local branch of the Reform Immigration for America organization, which said that anytime someone texts the word "taco" to 69866, it will deliver a taco to the mayor on their behalf.

They've received more than 2,600 texts, the group said in a statement Thursday.

"The mayor has shown a total lack of respect for the constituents he has been sworn to serve to the best of his ability," said Henry Fernandez, spokesman for the group.

Maturo twice apologized for the comments, saying his words were largely a product of stress.
Still, some 500 tacos were placed inside his office; the rest are already being rerouted to local food-assistance outlets.

"The town of East Haven has received an abundance of tacos as a result of the campaign initiated by the group 'Reform Immigration for America,'" said Maturo in a statement. "Recognizing that there are many in need in our state, we have arranged for all of the tacos to be donated to local soup kitchens and pantries, including the Downtown Evening Soup Kitchen in New Haven."

This may back fire.

Now I want to make racist remarks about Japanese people and Sushi.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 12:09:19 am »
And now I'm hungry...

It doesn't help I'd kill for some Red Robin lately.  I need to rectify that problem this week.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 01:04:48 am »
Isn't there Red Robins up in Eugene?

Ironbite-cause there's none down here in Coos Bay.