Author Topic: TV shows that need to die  (Read 87335 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: TV shows that need to die
« Reply #360 on: December 03, 2012, 12:28:56 am »
WHY?? Yet another reason why MTV needs to be put out of it's misery.
To be fair, that lot don't seem to be nearly as insufferable as their Jersey Shore compatriots. If anything, they seem like pretty typical rural college kids. While I've no interest in watching their personal drama and whatever else they do on that show, it's hardly in the same league as the vapid guido douchebag stereotypes that is the Jersey Shore cast.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:10:16 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #361 on: December 03, 2012, 03:42:02 am »
Tyler's philosophy about playing is one I could get behind, admittedly.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #362 on: December 03, 2012, 06:05:36 am »
Finding Bigfoot.  You haven't found him.  You're not going to find him.  And even if you do find him, it's going to show up on the news, not your little wanabe science show. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline banjaxed

• Neonate
  • The lurking luker
« Reply #363 on: December 03, 2012, 12:24:16 pm »
Apparently that show is kind of a touchy subject for those who actually live on the Jersey shore.

That is the understatement of the century. There are precisely 0 people I know from my home state that have anything remotely good about the show.   
Geologists are the masters of subduction

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #364 on: December 03, 2012, 01:32:03 pm »
WHY?? Yet another reason why MTV needs to be put out of it's misery.
To be fair, that lot don't seem to be nearly as insufferable as their Jersey Shore compatriots. If anything, they seem like pretty typical rural college kids. While I've no interest in watching their personal drama and whatever else they do on that show, it's hardly in the same league as the vapid guido douchebag stereotypes that is the Jersey Shore cast.

Well... You do have a point there.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #365 on: December 03, 2012, 06:07:42 pm »
We're living in a weird age where we currently have some of the best and deepest TV shows ever produced and yet at the same time we also have the most vacuous and shameful TV shows ever produced.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #366 on: December 03, 2012, 06:20:04 pm »
We're living in a weird age where we currently have some of the best and deepest TV shows ever produced and yet at the same time we also have the most vacuous and shameful TV shows ever produced.

The same could be said about the internet. Actually it's more extreme IMO, the internet has awesome websites but it also has terrible websites.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #367 on: December 03, 2012, 08:01:15 pm »
There's always been crap tv, there always will be. It's escapsim. I don't think that Jersey Shore is anymore vacuous than Leave it to Beaver or the Brady Bunch.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #368 on: December 04, 2012, 04:26:47 am »
There's always been crap tv, there always will be. It's escapsim. I don't think that Jersey Shore is anymore vacuous than Leave it to Beaver or the Brady Bunch.

No it really, really is. A lot more. Yeah those shows were vacuous but in a different sort of way. And the shit MTV is spewing out is on a whole new level of "what the fuck is wrong with us?"

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #369 on: December 04, 2012, 11:40:36 am »
Are you really putting Leave To Beaver and the Brady Bunch in the same category as Jersey Shore?? Yes, those two were make believe, and vacuous, but as Katsuro said Jersey Shore and other "reality shows" are utter shit, and the people on these shows are possibly the worse examples of humankind.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #370 on: December 04, 2012, 01:55:21 pm »
I think he's saying there were crummy shows back then, but that they weren't nearly as bad as the shit we have today.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #371 on: December 04, 2012, 03:40:28 pm »
Yeah I understand that, but The Brady Bunch, and Leave It to Beaver are hardly crummy shows, especially if you're comparing to the likes of Jersey Shore. Maybe it's because I have a special fondness for those shows since I grew up watching the reruns of them. Sure, I'll probably watch something else over them, as long as it's not some "reality show". But, I've never regret watching Leave It To Beaver or The Brady Bunch, but as someone who used to watch those shitty reality shows on VH1, it came to point that I asked myself: Why the fuck am I watching this shit??
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 03:59:17 pm by Nicki »

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #372 on: December 04, 2012, 04:11:16 pm »
In terms of shallowness and vacuousness I find them on par. Having gone to the Jersey Shore for 20+ years I can tell you the show isn't close to reality for the vast majority of people. Just like Leave it to Beaver isn't an accurate depiction of a 50's family. I also think the fact that we live in a far less repressed and conservative time needs to be taken in to account.

The real point I was trying to get across is that tv is escapism. Our lives are complicated, things rarely work out how we want them to, we have lots of worries. Because of that the average person doesn't want complicated shows, they want things in the show to work out perfectly. Which tends to be the opposite of reality. That's why we get shows that are shallow. People, for the most part, just want to turn off their brains and forget about their worries and concerns. That's also why shows that are complex and/or have characters with actual depth to them are rare, they're far closer to reality.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #373 on: December 04, 2012, 04:49:08 pm »
I definitely don't think they're on par. Shows like Leave it to Beaver and The Brady Bunch require some semblance of creativity since you have a variety of characters and storylines. Jersey Shore doesn't have that.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #374 on: December 04, 2012, 05:25:26 pm »
Just be glad there's no Social Justice Warrior "Power Hour" on TV...yet.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.