Author Topic: TV shows that need to die  (Read 87818 times)

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
Re: TV shows that need to die
« Reply #375 on: December 04, 2012, 05:29:48 pm »
Just be glad there's no Social Justice Warrior "Power Hour" on TV...yet.

Careful! You might give them ideas!
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #376 on: December 05, 2012, 11:54:28 am »
I definitely don't think they're on par. Shows like Leave it to Beaver and The Brady Bunch require some semblance of creativity since you have a variety of characters and storylines. Jersey Shore doesn't have that.

Meh. They're both stereotyping, Jersey Shore and Leave it to Beaver. I suppose you could say Beaver is more creative, since they were one of the first to successfully adapt it to a new medium. But I wonder really, because that sort of thing was already done for a loong time, and if you look at writing for a show a lot like writing for a play.

The Brady Bunch, it takes no more creativity to write that than to write for The A Team. It's the same show over and over. The creativity comes from how to package those two ideas for however many seasons.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:56:10 am by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #377 on: December 05, 2012, 11:55:28 pm »
Shows that can stick around:
- Dan VS (It's very formulaic, but it works pretty well for the premise).
- MLP: FiM (not the best show in the whole wide world, but surprisingly good, a go-to show when babysitting, and certainly something I wish had been around when I was little)
- Adventure Time (Didn't watch it when it first came out, as it came out around the same time as similar shows that died of their own stupidity, but dang can those writers cram some intense feels into eleven-minute blocks, all hidden beneath the inherent strangeness of the series).
- Young Justice (If you liked Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, and Justice League, this show continues in that vein of good storytelling and animation).

I'm in my twenties, only the first show is technically in my age demographic, and they are all miles and miles beyond this crap below:

- Family Guy- it wasn't good when I was in middle school and liked that kind of 'humor', and it isn't good now.
- All of reality TV, in particular anything involving blue collar work or "redneck" "work", performing children, freaky families, or rich bitches bickering. If it's not staged, it's pathetic, and if it is staged it's pathetic and awful. The exception to the reality rule: Actual medical shows.
- Most news channels- celebrity news stories shouldn't be on the same channel as local events, reporters should report and not commentate, and what on earth happened to letting people finish what they're saying during an interview?
- Almost all of Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon's line-up. When "Doug" is better than some of that, you know your channel's gone sour.
- The Dog Whisperer- outdated, questionable, and dangerous training techniques, exaggeration, and flat-out misinformation about canine biology and behavior peddled with a sparkly smile and fake Mexican accent? Why, what could possibly go wrong if the general public tried this stuff? Keep in mind the big competitor (It's Me or the Dog) took the slow-and-steady approach, was brutally honest with her clients, and did NOT allow dogs to become violent, which is what I think killed the show.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #378 on: December 06, 2012, 12:11:46 am »
- MLP: FiM (not the best show in the whole wide world, but surprisingly good, a go-to show when babysitting, and certainly something I wish had been around when I was little)
- Adventure Time (Didn't watch it when it first came out, as it came out around the same time as similar shows that died of their own stupidity, but dang can those writers cram some intense feels into eleven-minute blocks, all hidden beneath the inherent strangeness of the series).
- Young Justice (If you liked Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, and Justice League, this show continues in that vein of good storytelling and animation).

I'm in my twenties, only the first show is technically in my age demographic, and they are all miles and miles beyond this crap below:

- Family Guy- it wasn't good when I was in middle school and liked that kind of 'humor', and it isn't good now.
- All of reality TV, in particular anything involving blue collar work or "redneck" "work", performing children, freaky families, or rich bitches bickering. If it's not staged, it's pathetic, and if it is staged it's pathetic and awful. The exception to the reality rule: Actual medical shows.
- Most news channels- celebrity news stories shouldn't be on the same channel as local events, reporters should report and not commentate, and what on earth happened to letting people finish what they're saying during an interview?
- Almost all of Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon's line-up. When "Doug" is better than some of that, you know your channel's gone sour.
- The Dog Whisperer- outdated, questionable, and dangerous training techniques, exaggeration, and flat-out misinformation about canine biology and behavior peddled with a sparkly smile and fake Mexican accent? Why, what could possibly go wrong if the general public tried this stuff? Keep in mind the big competitor (It's Me or the Dog) took the slow-and-steady approach, was brutally honest with her clients, and did NOT allow dogs to become violent, which is what I think killed the show.

Oh hello sir, would you like to be best friends based solely on your unparalleled good taste in television programmes~?
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #379 on: December 06, 2012, 12:30:27 am »
Is it bad that overall, I only mainly watch 3 shows: Boardwalk Empire, MLP:FIM, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars?? And since Boardwalk Empire isn't coming back on until next September or whatever(I hate the short ass excuse for seasons that HBO shows run) it's down to two. I'm also sick of waiting for a certain story arc to appear in The Clones Wars, stupid tralier, made me want it now...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:35:59 am by Empress Nicki »

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #380 on: December 06, 2012, 03:03:18 am »
Guess what, guys?  Steve O. has a new show.

http://screencrush.com/killer-karaoke/

Yeah...
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
« Reply #381 on: December 06, 2012, 03:49:03 am »

Oh hello sir, would you like to be best friends based solely on your unparalleled good taste in television programmes~?

Haha, sure!
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #382 on: December 06, 2012, 04:11:23 am »

Yeah...

The Jackass crew should've called it quits after Viva La Bam.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #383 on: December 06, 2012, 11:14:30 am »

Yeah...

Just super...

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #384 on: December 09, 2012, 08:10:13 pm »

I agree with most of this (except Adventure Time, which I've never watched), but...what's wrong with Doug?  :(
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
« Reply #385 on: December 09, 2012, 09:21:18 pm »

I agree with most of this (except Adventure Time, which I've never watched), but...what's wrong with Doug?  :(

Well, personal preferences always come into play... but I always felt like the show was so bland it went right back around into being offensive. That, and the overall style... Everyone looked, sounded and acted just way too weird (and not the fun weird), and Doug was so whiny.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #386 on: December 09, 2012, 10:32:07 pm »
Man, I used love Doug,even though the later episodes in my opinion were kinda crappy. That being said what is shown on Nickelodeon nowadays?? I haven't watched that channel in ages. I still watch Cartoon Network, even though I only watch one show on that channel for the most part on a regular basis (Star Wars:The Clone Wars), but every so often I do watch Adventure Time and The Regular Show.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:35:55 pm by Empress Nicki »

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
« Reply #387 on: December 09, 2012, 11:23:32 pm »
Man, I used love Doug,even though the later episodes in my opinion were kinda crappy. That being said what is shown on Nickelodeon nowadays?? I haven't watched that channel in ages. I still watch Cartoon Network, even though I only watch one show on that channel for the most part on a regular basis (Star Wars:The Clone Wars), but every so often I do watch Adventure Time and The Regular Show.

SpongeBob SquarePants is still around (do you get the feeling they'll milk that cash cow as long as possible?), as is the Fairly Oddparents. The Klasky-Csupo shows (Rugrats and The Wild Thornberries) are not. Nearly all the rest is "tween" dramas and terrible CGI. Oh, and a new Ninja Turtles show that isn't quite as good as it could have been.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #388 on: December 09, 2012, 11:43:52 pm »
I didn't even know there was a new Ninja Turtles...*has 80s cartoon flashback*

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irwbj3ZwJjc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irwbj3ZwJjc</a>

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:49:44 pm by Empress Nicki »

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #389 on: December 10, 2012, 12:12:02 am »
Did I ever mention that The Big Bang Theory is incredibly sad and depressing and boring when it has no laugh track?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.