Author Topic: TV shows that need to die  (Read 87721 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: TV shows that need to die
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 04:10:02 pm »
I don't really mind the clip shows and stuff... but they need to consolidate their offerings so you don't end up seeing the same clip on 20 different shows...

What I wouldn't mind being canned are the 'fake reality' shows.  Shows that are obviously staged.  Operation Repo, Lizard Lick Towing, All Worked Up... you know?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 04:14:21 pm »
Deadliest Warrior needs to die. The methodology used is god-awful and the unnecessary smack talk between the "experts" of both sides is just so clearly forced that it's painful to listen to.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 04:16:47 pm »
Can we include entire channels in this? Cuz the History Channel needs to go. Aside from the fact there's no actual history involved anymore (I almost miss their Hitler marathons), their support of pseudo-science and swamp-dwelling rednecks makes it impossible to take anything the channel does seriously. Not that it helps that they get shit like this wrong. Yes, I realize what the source is, but I remember seeing it get posted in my news feed; it's not a joke.

This Discovery Channel seems to be in a huge rush to follow in their footsteps, as is "Syfy". Those three (at least) need to go.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

shykid

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 04:43:56 pm »
All that lowbrow reality-show bullshit they air on History needs to go. At least Ancient Aliens is fucking hilarious to me.

shykid

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 04:57:02 pm »
Well, at least there's not an Annoying Orange / Fred crossover.

Shh, you're gonna give them ideas.

Also, I know reality shows are a given, but I feel the need to mention Toddlers & Tiaras, as disgusting as it is. That type of competition is unhealthy for the parents and kids.

I spoke too soon. Sigh. On the bright side, it's still not on TV... yet...

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 05:01:43 pm »

Also, I know reality shows are a given, but I feel the need to mention Toddlers & Tiaras, as disgusting as it is. That type of competition is unhealthy for the parents and kids.

Most of me died.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 05:11:02 pm »
I kinda want to see American Dad cancelled, too.

As well as the Aqua Teen franchise - it was mildly entertaining at best, annoying at worst, and now it's starting to stretch on too long.

King of the Hill should be bumped off, too.  It's like The Simpsons, except it was always old.

Uh, what else...

Quite frankly, take all of the kid's shows that are condescending, punt them into the sun, and then replace them with quality entertainment that all can enjoy.  Not the shitty stuff where everyone overenunciates, stares at the screen, and waits like 2 seconds for the person responds.  Nor the stuff where everyone makes joke about monkey butt and plots are increasingly simplistic and shallower than the kiddie pool... no, stuff where the characters are interesting, the interactions more or less realistic, and stuff actually happens that has real consequences as opposed to "everyone laughs, the end"
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 05:27:50 pm »
Quite frankly, take all of the kid's shows that are condescending, punt them into the sun, and then replace them with quality entertainment that all can enjoy.  Not the shitty stuff where everyone overenunciates, stares at the screen, and waits like 2 seconds for the person responds.  Nor the stuff where everyone makes joke about monkey butt and plots are increasingly simplistic and shallower than the kiddie pool... no, stuff where the characters are interesting, the interactions more or less realistic, and stuff actually happens that has real consequences as opposed to "everyone laughs, the end"
The only "kids" shows I've found that match most of those criteria are Avatar and Young Justice.

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 05:50:06 pm »
The only "kids" shows I've found that match most of those criteria are Avatar and Young Justice.

There's also Thundercats 2011 and other such shows.

The problem is that we have "kids shows" in the first place.  It's condescending.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 05:56:03 pm »

The problem is that we have "kids shows" in the first place.  It's condescending.
I honestly can't decide what to make of the new Thundercats. It's well done compared to a lot of stuff out there, but it's so over-the-top cheesy that I don't know quite how to respond to it.

And to be fair to the "kids shows" genre, I think it makes sense to have something age appropriate for younger audiences. This doesn't mean they need to be as stupid as they currently are, but I wouldn't expect an elementary school student to grasp the finer plot points of Young Justice, or to necessarily understand the humor of prime time sitcoms.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 06:01:05 pm »

I honestly can't decide what to make of the new Thundercats. It's well done compared to a lot of stuff out there, but it's so over-the-top cheesy that I don't know quite how to respond to it.

And to be fair to the "kids shows" genre, I think it makes sense to have something age appropriate for younger audiences. This doesn't mean they need to be as stupid as they currently are, but I wouldn't expect an elementary school student to grasp the finer plot points of Young Justice, or to necessarily understand the humor of prime time sitcoms.

Yeah, it wouldn't make sense not to have a distinguished kids genre, considering kids are at a different level developmentally.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Saturn500

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 06:37:44 pm »
The Big Bang Theory needs to either die or go back to being about pseudo-geek humour. The first couple of seasons were ok, but now it's just about relationship drama like every other fucking TV show ever.

Hey, some of the geek humor is still there. It's just no longer on the forefront. So, yeah, the first two seasons were better.

Also, list of shows that need to die:

-19 Kids and Counting (for obvious reasons) The entirety of TLC's lineup

-The vast majority of TruTV's lineup

-The Simpsons

-Family Guy (and spinoffs)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 06:49:57 pm »
Destination Truth which has about as much truth as Fox News.  I'd include Fact or Fake, but I like the two women on the show.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 07:08:35 pm »
Hey, I like King of the Hill. A lot.

You know what needs to DIAF though? Robot Chicken. In fact, most of Adult Swim should just die.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Xander Zzyzx

• Apprentice
  • Now with 25% more devil
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 07:10:46 pm »
Well, at least there's not an Annoying Orange / Fred crossover.

Ugh! Why did I have to follow that link, now I have an even bigger headache than before.

Also, I give up on television. There is officially nothing worthwhile to watch anymore.