Author Topic: TV shows that need to die  (Read 87823 times)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: TV shows that need to die
« Reply #255 on: August 30, 2012, 03:55:21 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M</a>
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #256 on: August 30, 2012, 06:29:12 pm »
And suddenly the average quality of television went up by 300%
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Gst0395

• Apprentice
« Reply #257 on: August 30, 2012, 07:09:17 pm »
3. The Simpsons. Don't get me wrong, I've loved and watched the show for years, but the writers are completely pulling shit out of their asses now to create what doesn't even deserve to be called an episode. I actually think they've run out of things in their ass to pull out and have to resort to other places, because my god, there's very little quality now. The characters aren't who they used to be. They seem overly exaggerated for comedic effect, and decent stories are often sacrificed for celebrity appearances. It makes me sad to see one of my favorite shows in such a state.
I agree. The Simpsons only seems to be still around lately because of it's history, but the show is definitely going downhill.

The Treehouse of Horrors are good examples. The latest one (XXII) was the crappiest one yet, especially the first segment (The Diving Bell and the Butterball) with Homer getting paralysed after getting bitten by a spider and then communicating to Lisa through farting, and then for NO reason he becomes Spider-Man. The only "horror" in the episode was the fact they actually considered it worthy of a segment or episode for that matter. Apparently it was a spoof of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Out of all the films they could have spoofed, they chose THAT? Are they for real?!? Proof that they're not even trying anymore.

Dial D for Diddly was garbage as well. I never thought screwing up the premise of Ned becoming a Dexter-style serial killer could be possible, but they managed it somehow. The murders weren't even violent or shocking enough. I remember in earlier ToH episodes that violent deaths had a certain shock value (but somewhat funny at the same time) to them, like the giant blender scene in Nightmare Cafeteria, Willy getting axed in the back three times throughout V, the dolphin attacks in Night of the Dolphin and Homer getting his head splattered open in House of Whacks.

In the Na'Vi (parody of Avatar) was okay at best, but still wasn't good enough to save the entire episode. The intro with Homer chewing his arms off (parody of 127 Hours) was probably the best part of the entire episode. Overall, one of their worst yet and I can't see XXIII being any better. A spoof of Back to the Future sounds TERRIBLE, and although the Paranormal Activity spoof sounds interesting enough, they'll probably mess it up again just like every other recent ToH segment they've done.

Sorry for the really long post but yeah, rant over.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:13:37 pm by Gst0395 »
Youtube: Gst0395
Pixar Planet: Geoff-uk1234

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #258 on: August 30, 2012, 07:32:12 pm »
Thank you Jebus, the sad thing is it'll probably be replaced with something that's even more annoying as fuck, and IQ lowering.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #259 on: August 30, 2012, 09:04:33 pm »
While I celebrate the loss of Jersey Shore, I realize that the cycle that started with MTV and shows like Road Rules will remain unbroken.  Some people just simply crave idiotic shit.

That said, on the topic of current kids' shows...yeah, crap like Dora the Explorer get the hell on my nerves.  I understand teaching kids about cultural acceptance and such is a good thing, hell I encourage it, but they do it so blunt-force-trauma that its insulting to all but the youngest of children.

As for shows like Chowder and Adventure Time, yeah, they're stupid.  They're downright idiotic.  But, their one saving grace, the one thing that makes them so fucking entertaining for me, is their balls-out insanity.  Seriously, I've seen horror movies that were several orders of magnitude less disturbing than the stuff you see in those shows.  Then again, perhaps I'm simply fucked up so bad that I can laugh my ass off at a show (in this case, Adventure Time) where a dog gets a parasite in his head that orders him to poison a noble or die.  Frame that in the style of a kids' show, and you've got the makings for some hilariously disturbing shit.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:09:43 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Saturn500

« Reply #260 on: August 30, 2012, 09:48:41 pm »
Also, it's pretty clear from certain episodes of Adventure Time that Pendleton (is that how it's spelled?) Ward is a huge nerd. Which is awesome.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #261 on: August 31, 2012, 11:41:09 am »
3. The Simpsons. Don't get me wrong, I've loved and watched the show for years, but the writers are completely pulling shit out of their asses now to create what doesn't even deserve to be called an episode. I actually think they've run out of things in their ass to pull out and have to resort to other places, because my god, there's very little quality now. The characters aren't who they used to be. They seem overly exaggerated for comedic effect, and decent stories are often sacrificed for celebrity appearances. It makes me sad to see one of my favorite shows in such a state.
I agree. The Simpsons only seems to be still around lately because of it's history, but the show is definitely going downhill.

The Treehouse of Horrors are good examples. The latest one (XXII) was the crappiest one yet, especially the first segment (The Diving Bell and the Butterball) with Homer getting paralysed after getting bitten by a spider and then communicating to Lisa through farting, and then for NO reason he becomes Spider-Man. The only "horror" in the episode was the fact they actually considered it worthy of a segment or episode for that matter. Apparently it was a spoof of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Out of all the films they could have spoofed, they chose THAT? Are they for real?!? Proof that they're not even trying anymore.

Dial D for Diddly was garbage as well. I never thought screwing up the premise of Ned becoming a Dexter-style serial killer could be possible, but they managed it somehow. The murders weren't even violent or shocking enough. I remember in earlier ToH episodes that violent deaths had a certain shock value (but somewhat funny at the same time) to them, like the giant blender scene in Nightmare Cafeteria, Willy getting axed in the back three times throughout V, the dolphin attacks in Night of the Dolphin and Homer getting his head splattered open in House of Whacks.

In the Na'Vi (parody of Avatar) was okay at best, but still wasn't good enough to save the entire episode. The intro with Homer chewing his arms off (parody of 127 Hours) was probably the best part of the entire episode. Overall, one of their worst yet and I can't see XXIII being any better. A spoof of Back to the Future sounds TERRIBLE, and although the Paranormal Activity spoof sounds interesting enough, they'll probably mess it up again just like every other recent ToH segment they've done.

Sorry for the really long post but yeah, rant over.

I've definitely been disappointed in their Treehouse of Horror episodes for a few years now. I can understand having some fun with ToH since it's non-canon, but exaggerating to that extent makes the characters into completely different people and makes the episodes wholly unwatchable.

Also, I don't know if this is true since I no longer watch it, but did Flanders and Ms. Krabappel get together? I heard rumors about it, and that's just fucking wrong. I remember the episode where they killed off Maude as being devastating, and I hope those writers regret it.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #262 on: August 31, 2012, 11:47:18 am »
The last episode of the Simpsons I watched was "Viva Ned Flanders".  Why?  Because The Moody Blues had a cameo in it, and I'm a big fan of theirs.  That's it.  Until then, I'd stopped watching it since the "Who Shot Monty Burns?" debacle.  It just ceased being interesting to me.

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #263 on: August 31, 2012, 11:50:24 am »
I remember watching the 300th episode on TV and being disappointed with it. That's from season fourteen. I honestly can't remember if I enjoyed any of the ones after that because I haven't watched it in so long, but I know episodes before that point are superior.

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #264 on: August 31, 2012, 11:55:38 am »
I haven't watched the Simpsons in years, it really does need to be put out of it's misery.

Offline Gst0395

• Apprentice
« Reply #265 on: August 31, 2012, 02:44:45 pm »
I haven't watched the Simpsons in years, it really does need to be put out of it's misery.
Yup. Like I said, it's only around for the sake of history nowadays. Same with Family Guy which isn't funny anymore. The only show that still seems to be still funny nowadays is South Park. Yes, the style has changed alot but it still manages to be funny. American Dad is pretty solid as well. I don't know about Futurama since I haven't watched many of the new Comedy Central-era episodes.
Youtube: Gst0395
Pixar Planet: Geoff-uk1234

Saturn500

« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2012, 07:45:29 pm »
I think the recent Futurama episodes have been hit-or-miss bullseye (hillarious)-or-the-guy-right-behind-you (rage-inducing)

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2012, 08:07:30 pm »
South Park's been hit or miss for awhile now, but they still have episodes that make me laugh. I never enjoyed American Dad, somehow.

Offline Smilodon

• Warrior of Perim
  • Bishop
« Reply #268 on: August 31, 2012, 08:28:14 pm »
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but Spongebob really gets on my nerves. The first three seasons were good, but now the show is crap. And the fact that Nickelodeon airs hours of it every week only makes matters worse.

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #269 on: August 31, 2012, 08:34:43 pm »
I've hated Spongebob from day one. The characters are irritating to the point where I have to leave the room if my nephew is watching it. And it seems like they have it on TV every fucking time I go to the hospital. Christ, that shit probably delays my recovery every time.