Author Topic: Hi  (Read 6020 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Hi
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 04:00:39 am »
I am guessing he's getting a permanent IP-Ban, am I right?

I do admit I had a bit of a plan I wanted to do - I wanted to get him to say yes, then I'd go digging and try and find his friend Shawn provided the guy existed. I'd then show Real Shawn that Jacob made an account in his name, and put him into a variety of asinine stories. See if that resulted in any strife amongst them.

But then there's the chance his whole social network and persona is generated for this forum, and I decided there were better things to focus on. Like, literally anything else.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 08:11:31 am »
You would have gotten away with it if it weren't for us meddling kids!
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 05:38:02 pm »

I do admit I had a bit of a plan I wanted to do - I wanted to get him to say yes, then I'd go digging and try and find his friend Shawn provided the guy existed. I'd then show Real Shawn that Jacob made an account in his name, and put him into a variety of asinine stories. See if that resulted in any strife amongst them.

But then there's the chance his whole social network and persona is generated for this forum, and I decided there were better things to focus on. Like, literally anything else.

Would a permanent IP ban prevent him from operating his sleeper accounts? Would it just require him to use a VPN or a different computer?

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 05:05:52 am »

Would a permanent IP ban prevent him from operating his sleeper accounts? Would it just require him to use a VPN or a different computer?

nah if he put on an internet condom his accounts would still be accessible (assuming he saved the passwords). But it wouldn't be too hard for Sig to just ban them on sight next time he reared his head.

Jake ain't exactly a subtle boy.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 08:50:20 am »
And now he's back to posting stuff on the FSTDT subreddit because he isn't getting back here.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 04:35:08 pm »
I'm just waiting on Distind to remove their spammed topics.

Because the more this goes on the worse our subreddit looks.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 07:55:47 pm »

Most people (Jacob included) don't post from a single IP but from a range of addresses. By default bans are also on the latest IP, but not the whole range of them and not every IP used . I can expand that, but expanding the range while making sure I'm not catching anyone else in the net is not trivial, and either way there are methods around it (half of "Shawn's" posts were from a different IP range as Jacob, half weren't. Presumably he bothered to go use someone else's wifi sometimes, but not thoroughly enough)

Doesn't matter much, he's not hard to catch (Fun fact, he tried to guest-post as Shawn complaining his ban was unfair. Raise your hand if you're surprised)
Σא

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 08:19:38 pm »
Eh, he'll pester the subreddit for a while. He seems to have found an ally there who's fond of using the (((brackets))) thing and wants to recruit him into his holy crusade to make Brexit Britain more miserable.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 02:11:11 am »
Well, seeing as what I've seen of the subreddit is that it's a cesspool of awful, it's no big loss.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 09:37:19 am »
It's mainly just quiet. Jacob and his transphobic buddy haven't got any other friends there but two assholes can make a lot of mess when there's hardly anyone else active there.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 05:46:13 pm »
It's mainly just quiet. Jacob and his transphobic buddy haven't got any other friends there but two assholes can make a lot of mess when there's hardly anyone else active there.
It was a bit more active at one stage, maybe now the mainpage is up people aren't bothering.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2018, 09:52:13 pm »
It was a bit more active at one stage, maybe now the mainpage is up people aren't bothering.

Yeah, I never even really bothered with the reddit because its more like a time little corner fifedom whereas here and mainpage were the actual bulk of the site everyone actually used. The reddit is like the quiet wooded area where its now been invaded by a weird cult that nobody else in town likes to talk about as long as they stay off in their little corner and don't try to human sacrifice townsfolk.