Author Topic: Irony: An Anti-Choice Morality Play Interpreted As A Pro-Abortion Play  (Read 1334 times)

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
As a young kid my grandma dragged us to a Christmas play my parents expected to be a fairly typical Christmas play,
but it was a morality play about abortion.

I was too young to understand that it was about abortion. I didn't even know what abortion was and I don't remember them ever using the word "Abortion" during the play. I remember the woman said she wasn't ready for a baby and wanted to get rid of it. I assumed she meant she wanted to put the baby up for adoption. There was an angel character who visited her and was clearly upset that she didn't want to keep the baby. It seemed odd to me that she didn't want her to give the baby up to another family. One thing the angel kept saying was to "give the baby to God".

I had heard of "God" and "heaven" before and knew that "heaven" was supposedly where you went when you died, so I assumed the angel was asking her to kill the baby so it could go to heaven to be taken care of by God. I thought "this angel is crazy, I sure hope she doesn't decide to give her baby to God." I was confused at the end when the angel was complementing her for "giving the baby to God", yet the woman was holding the baby, so I assumed the death of the baby to send it to God to take care of was being implied to be coming soon after, because it would be too violent to play act the killing of a baby.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
Also a good example of why when you want to say something, don’t fucking use euphemisms. Say what you mean!
-A Pen Name

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
I forget, what's the church's stance on adoption? Because I haven't heard anything about orphanages anymore.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Churches tend to be fine with adoption.