Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1462713 times)

Saturn500

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #360 on: May 07, 2012, 09:37:09 am »
The glitchiness of Bethesda's games plus the exploits MMOs typically have equals...
(click to show/hide)

In other news, I finished Lineages and Legacies in Tales of Graces f. Now I'm working on the side stuff.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #361 on: May 07, 2012, 01:42:33 pm »
The TES universe is of large enough scale that a MMO might work without raping the existing lore with a rusty spoon.

Screenshots and Art here
..and already sceptical. That didn't take long. This is a bit too colorful for my idea of Tamriel.

.......Too colorful.  Really.

I think you've been stuck in the modern lands of brown for too long :P
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #362 on: May 07, 2012, 02:15:53 pm »
Too...colorful?  Seriously?  If that's the case, just turn all the colors on your TV down to 0, and bam! no more annoying color, because its all gone greyscale.

Honestly, I'm glad they've decided to take a leap, which I'm sad its considered one in this day and age, and add fucking color to their game.  Real is NOT brown.  I can count at least a dozen colors within 2 meters of me right now.  The real world has fucking color, brown doesn't make your world "gritty" or "realistic," it just makes it drab and fucking boring.

Bring me back to the days of colorful games, like Ultima, Nox, Symphony of the Night, and System Shock!  Shit, Thief has more colors than modern games, and you spend (if you're playing anywhere NEAR properly) a good 90% of the game in the dark!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #363 on: May 07, 2012, 03:38:36 pm »
I don't agree with the too colorful thing.  Some of the screenshots I saw made me instantly think of Cyrodil from Oblivion.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #364 on: May 07, 2012, 05:14:46 pm »
The TES universe is of large enough scale that a MMO might work without raping the existing lore with a rusty spoon.

Screenshots and Art here
..and already sceptical. That didn't take long. This is a bit too colorful for my idea of Tamriel.

.......Too colorful.  Really.

I think you've been stuck in the modern lands of brown for too long :P

I agree.  Everything about those screenshots looks wonderful and rich, without being too bright. :3
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #365 on: May 07, 2012, 06:13:25 pm »
The color isn't the problem. It's the cartoonish art style. To me, it looks more like WoW than it does Elder Scrolls.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #366 on: May 07, 2012, 06:26:40 pm »
The color isn't the problem. It's the cartoonish art style. To me, it looks more like WoW than it does Elder Scrolls.

...Cartoony?

Now I KNOW you're kidding.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #367 on: May 07, 2012, 06:30:10 pm »

THIS is a screenshot from Elder Scrolls Online.

THIS is a screenshot from World of Warcraft.

Any questions?

Offline ThunderWulf

• The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #368 on: May 07, 2012, 10:29:32 pm »
I mean it's obvious the graphics aren't going to be quite as high quality as like Skyrim for example, because it would run like shit with so many people playing at once.  However, like Ravynous pointed out, they are still a FAAAAAAAR step from the very cartoony WoW graphics.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Art Vandelay

« Reply #369 on: May 07, 2012, 11:08:50 pm »
Meh, every other AAA MMORPG on the market has been completely destroyed by World of Warcraft in a matter of months. What the fuck makes Bethesda think that they'll fare any better?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #370 on: May 07, 2012, 11:23:46 pm »
Meh, every other AAA MMORPG on the market has been completely destroyed by World of Warcraft in a matter of months. What the fuck makes Bethesda think that they'll fare any better?

The fans which have been clamoring for an Elder Scrolls MMO since the later years of Morrowind, perhaps?

Offline ThunderWulf

• The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #371 on: May 07, 2012, 11:24:21 pm »

If this were a few years ago, I'd agree with you.  However, WoW has been consistently losing loads of players over the last couple of years.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/243465/world_of_warcraft_loses_2_million_subscribers_in_a_year.html
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/720899/world-of-warcraft-loses-100000-subscribers-the-mmo-report/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2012/03/02/activision-jobs-cuts-warcraft-losing-wow-factor/

That and the fact that people I know who have been playing WoW since the beginning have pretty much all left WoW.  I myself haven't played in a long time except for like a week or two when Cata came out.

Don't get me wrong.  I still think WoW is a definitely going to be a hard competitor for any big title MMO coming out, but it's not quite the scary goliath it used to be.
a.k.a. TGRwulf

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #372 on: May 07, 2012, 11:29:08 pm »

Guild Wars.  D&D Online.

That's all I gotta say.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #373 on: May 08, 2012, 05:58:28 pm »
Just finished Arx Fatalis for the second time. great game, some of the puzzles towards the end of the game were pretty frustrating, but didn't dampen the experience to any significant degree. Would recommend RPG fans check it out, on GOG.com or Steam.

Also, how did I manage to miss the fact they are making an Elder Scrolls MMO? Would be pretty interesting to see modern versions of regions like Daggerfall and Vvardenfell.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:27:46 pm by Dakota Bob »

Saturn500

« Reply #374 on: May 08, 2012, 11:54:43 pm »
http://www.gamesradar.com/adventure-time-hey-ice-king-whyd-you-steal-our-garbage-announced-3ds/

Well, it's WayForward, so, this should work out fine. I mean, that Thor game for the DS was pretty decent, so...

http://www.gamesradar.com/ys-origin-preview-old-school-look-and-feel/

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!