Author Topic: Dark Enlightenment: The Neoreactionary Movement  (Read 7958 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Dark Enlightenment: The Neoreactionary Movement
« on: June 20, 2014, 11:36:26 am »
There are some in the tech industry who think democracy has done more harm than good, and want a return to an aristocratic system of government.  These people are known as Neoreactionaries.

These guys are fucking scary.  Let's hope they stay a fringe movement, because they make the most fanatical Tea Partiers look downright moral and rational by comparison.

You can read more about them here: http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/22/geeks-for-monarchy/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:40:33 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Dark Enlightenment: The Neoreactionary Movement
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 12:15:03 pm »
You know, one day, I'll find a way to shunt people into different timelines.  When that day comes, I'll shunt fuckers like these back to the 1500s and see just how long they live.  My bet is that more than half of them will be dead within a month and by a year, only one in a hundred will have survived.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 02:29:16 pm »
What will they call rectionaries in 100 years time?

Neo-neo-reactionaries?

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 02:47:14 pm »
Somehow I don't think they've considered that they'd be peasants in a feudal system, middle class artisan is the best they could aspire to, not being good with a sword and all.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 03:29:50 pm »
Somehow I don't think they've considered that they'd be peasants in a feudal system, middle class artisan is the best they could aspire to, not being good with a sword and all.
Just to clarify, most of them are more-or-less in favor of modern technology and economics.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 04:10:56 pm »
Intellectual circle-jerk.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 05:01:49 pm »
If you have time to kill, I recommend Scott Alexander's Reactionary Philosophy In An Enormous, Planet-Sized Nutshell and Anti-reactionary FAQ. The first introduces the ideas of neoreaction and explains why their proponents defend them, the second is a rebuttal of the arguments. If you can read only one, read the second.

(the original link mentions these as well in the reading list, I am highlighting them because I thought they were well-researched and argued, and also because I like Alexander as a blogger)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:27:33 pm by Sigmaleph »
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 05:05:50 pm »
If you have time to kill, I recommend Scott Alexander's Reactionary Philosophy In An Enormous, Planet-Sized Nutshell and Anti-reactionary FAQ. The first introduces the ideas of neoreaction and explains why their proponents defend them, the second is a rebuttal of the arguments. If you can read only one, read the second.

(the original link mentions these as well in the reading list, I am highlighting them because I thought they were well-researched and argued, and also because I like Alexander as a blogger)
Your second link was broken.  I fixed it for you.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 05:28:03 pm »
Thanks, wrote one url tag too many.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 05:29:27 pm »
Thanks, wrote one url tag too many.
You're welcome.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 06:38:41 pm »
I was gonna make a Dark Enlightenment - Sith Lord joke...

Then I discovered the founder of the movement, no joke, calls himself a Sith Lord.

These people are weird, and I do not know whether to laugh or feel rather alarmed.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 07:17:25 pm »
All the money in France couldn't save Marie Antoinette's head when the mob came calling. At the end of the day the divine right of kings doesn't amount to a hill of shit when the ruled decide they are atheists. With these twits I would give that about a week... tops.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 11:32:28 pm »
I'm not too worried. They look like an impotent group of whiners from what I've read thus far. Hopefully, one of them doesn't go postal like the "incel" shooter in California, but otherwise, I don't see much of a threat as of now.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 12:27:56 am »
I finally read the article. I have to say, if you call yourself a sith lord and call your movement the "Dark Enlightenment", you gotta be taking the piss pretty hard. The comment section was... an experience. Someone was claiming shit like having seen the future and was saying how the current era is coming to an end and a new glorious dark age was beginning. When asked what the hell he had seen drinking he said he doesn't drink but partakes in the Tradionalist warrior-priest practice of taking psilocybin ('shrooms).

Oh, and the divine right of kings shall be replaced by the "genetic right" of some master race of Asians, whites, and Jews.

I thought that watching some bullshit about "spirit science" was gonna be the stupidest thing I'd see today, but no. I've just seen what can be considered some insane fusion of the ideologies of Nazis and North Korea in the worst of the NRs.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 01:20:56 am »
Besides, these guys are not true Sith. There is a thing called the Rule of Two.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer