Author Topic: TikTok admits to supressing content  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
TikTok admits to supressing content
« on: December 05, 2019, 06:30:19 pm »
https://slate.com/technology/2019/12/tiktok-disabled-users-videos-suppressed.html

Their claimed reasons aren't quite what you might expect:

TikTok, a social network video app with more than 1 billion downloads globally, admitted Tuesday to a set of policies that had suppressed the reach of content created by users assumed to be “vulnerable to cyberbullying.” As examples of users “susceptible to bullying or harassment,” the policy listed people with facial disfigurement, autism, Down syndrome, and “Disabled people or people with some facial problems such as birthmark, slight squint and etc.”

The admission came after the German site Netzpolitik reported that TikTok asked moderators to watch 15-second videos and decide if the creator looked like the type of person others might want to bully. If so, moderators were instructed to add flags to the accounts of these “vulnerable” users. These flags would stop their videos from being shown to audiences outside their home countries and, in some cases, would even prevent their videos from appearing in other users’ feeds. A list of flagged users obtained by Netzpolitik included people with and without disabilities, whose bios included hashtags like #fatwoman and #disabled or had rainbow flags and other LGBTQ identifiers.

Of course, since TikTok is owned by a Chinese company, and since they ban pro-LGBT and PRC-critical content, I have my doubts they're telling the truth about their motives.
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
Re: TikTok admits to supressing content
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 12:39:58 am »
Here's an idea, how about we suppress the content of the likely cyberbullies instead of the likely victims?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 12:44:25 am »
Here's an idea, how about we suppress the content of the likely cyberbullies instead of the likely victims?

Because then they'd have to ban Donald Trump. (Disclaimer: I don't know if Donald Trump uses TikTok.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 10:26:50 pm »
Easier to punish people who look funny than take care of bullying. Is there a term for weird "we just want to protect you" kind of passive-aggressive bullying?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 11:07:01 pm »
Its also insanely patronizing and marginalizing.  They aren't protecting people, they're segregating them in the name of "protection."
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 01:06:12 am »
Well, I mean, it's easier to look for the people likely to face harassment than it is to play whack-a-mole with the endless number of trolls who crop up.

Doesn't make it right, just easier.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.