Author Topic: Tax "Supercommittee" fallout  (Read 4502 times)

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
Tax "Supercommittee" fallout
« on: May 17, 2012, 08:54:16 am »
Forgive me if this is a retread; I am not feeling strong enough to search the boards to check.

Remember back when the Reps & the Dems got together and agreed to a "supercommittee" to fix the budget? It was to be made up of representatives from both parties and if they failed to reach an agreement, massive cuts in both military and social spending were set to automatically kick in. It made sense: both sides had something to lose that they really, really didn't want to lose. There was incredible incentive to work together on both sides.

Of course, within a few weeks, the "supercommittee" broke up, and the politicians (well, let's be honest, the Republicans specifically) involved petulantly declared that it was impossible to work with the other side and no agreement or compromise was possible as long as the other side (in this case, that means the Democrats) was unwilling to give up everything they deemed important and simply comply with the demands of their opposites.

So the committee failed, and the aforementioned massive cuts in military and social spending were primed to go into effect. Soon.

But wait! The Republicans, led by Ohio disgrace John Boehner, have declared that that mustn't be allowed to happen. Ah, they say, we had our fingers crossed! The Republicans have decreed that to allow the cuts in military spending they agreed to when they agreed to the "supercommittee", would be the worst thing that could ever happen. To hear them talk, it seems like these cuts, that they agreed to, would result in the destruction of America, the instant Islamification of the Western Hemisphere, dogs and cats living together, etc., etc.

"No, no," they say. "We can't have cuts in the military budget, despite the fact we agreed to this eventuality and knew it would happen when we refused to work with the Democrats in the "supercommittee." In fact, we need to increase military spending!"

And how to pay for this sudden reversal of promised action? Why, with additional massive cuts in social spending. So it turns out that in Republican World, the penalty for failing to arrive at a compromise in the "supercommittee" (a failure entirely the fault of the Republican party. it should be noted) is DOUBLE massive cuts in social spending and an INCREASE in military spending.

Seriously. I am now of the opinion that our country would be far, far better off without the Republican party entirely. Even the goddamn communists would be better.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline starseeker

• God
Re: Tax "Supercommittee" fallout
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:39:56 am »
Doesn't America already spent something like 4 times as much on its military as a % of budget compared to the next country on the list?

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 09:44:04 am »
Doesn't America already spent something like 4 times as much on its military as a % of budget compared to the next country on the list?

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the USA accounts for roughly 50% of the entire world's combined military budget. For comparison, it only accounts for about 5% of the total world population.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:51:28 am »

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the USA accounts for roughly 50% of the entire world's combined military budget. For comparison, it only accounts for about 5% of the total world population.
to be fair that does allow europe to spend less.  still a few billion in cutbacks would be nice

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:43:01 am »
Well don't you know that spending $$ on the military is way more important than spending $$ on a bunch of bottom feeders.../republican fucktard

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 11:46:49 am »
Well don't you know that spending $$ on the military is way more important than spending $$ on a bunch of bottom feeders.../republican fucktard
Well dont you know we need to protect the job creators except the defense industry creates the least jobs per dollar

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 12:23:50 pm »
It seems that Ayn Rand has finally become the true patron saint of the Republican Party. They value military spending because the military is the one thing that the wealthy can not provide for themselves. Health care, housing, food, clothing, shelter, transportation, security, all of these things can be had in the USA provided you have the cash, but the military still requires the kind of expenses and liberties only a government can handle.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 12:26:19 pm »
to be fair that does allow europe to spend less.

This is the argument that's very often rolled out for these kinds of debates, especially from Republicans scrabbling around for a Greater Good to bolt the military-industrial complex to, but it generally ignores the possibility that it's America these days that's causing most of the trouble in the first place by hoarding trillions of dollars in weaponry and feeling the constant need to use it.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 01:17:26 pm »
to be fair that does allow europe to spend less.

This is the argument that's very often rolled out for these kinds of debates, especially from Republicans scrabbling around for a Greater Good to bolt the military-industrial complex to, but it generally ignores the possibility that it's America these days that's causing most of the trouble in the first place by hoarding trillions of dollars in weaponry and feeling the constant need to use it.
touche

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 03:10:20 pm »
On another message board where we had this exact same topic, someone suggested that the Dems need to change out their guns that accept ammo in clips instead of six shooters.  Ladies and gents, the Dems need to break out the Howitzers instead.  Seriously this type of batshit nuttery needs to be exploited.  It's high time the high road was abandoned and the Democrats get down and dirty.

Ironbite-or we as a nation will cease to exist.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 03:16:50 pm »
I'm guessing this is why I and half the people I work with haven't received our refunds yet.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 04:35:26 pm »
Show of hands by anyone who's surprised by this.

Anybody?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 05:04:10 pm »
Surprised? No. Disappointed? Yes.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 07:21:19 pm »
The Republican position is quite simply grotesque.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 08:09:52 pm »
Part of the problem is the Democrats very often allow them to get away with holding such positions.  On this on the Dems need to absolutely refuse to change the triggered cuts to military spending unless the GOP comes back to the table and a true compromise is reached.  Since the GOP is the one with their backs against the wall they should have to give more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth