Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2074921 times)

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #5160 on: September 08, 2013, 01:50:39 am »
I just saw someone say that "he" is a gender neutral pronoun.  I've only heard it very rarely used as gender neutral, and that's only in the same context as using 'men' and 'man' to refer to the human race as a whole.  The context of this person's claim was not that context, considering they were referring to a specific character.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5161 on: September 08, 2013, 02:12:22 am »
I just saw someone say that "he" is a gender neutral pronoun.  I've only heard it very rarely used as gender neutral, and that's only in the same context as using 'men' and 'man' to refer to the human race as a whole.  The context of this person's claim was not that context, considering they were referring to a specific character.

*cue laugh track* It's not gender neutral but people try to use it and often do when the gender is not known about a certain person or animal.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5162 on: September 08, 2013, 02:33:57 am »
My period started. I'm really looking forward to not having blood-coated genitals on a regular basis. Also, just because g-d/Armok/the FSM hates me, I have to suffer through the happenstance of my little sister's cycle being about two days off mine, which makes for a week or so of pointless animosity.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:33:02 pm by SmokingDodongo »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #5163 on: September 08, 2013, 02:37:33 am »

Yeah, "he" is generally the default people use when they're not using "they" as something vaguely gender neutral. It's not really meant to be a specifically gender neutral pronoun, just the first one they come up with. Attempts to avoid this lead to things like tabletop RPG sourcebooks that randomly change pronouns when discussing hypothetical, unnamed characters taking action. I swear I've seen at least one paragraph where the editor didn't catch that the same character was referred to as "he" and "she" in the same paragraph.

There might be some language-related context for it as well. In French, at least, you use "le" and "les", the masculine pronouns, for anything that has any male parts. If a group of people is mixed gender, regardless of how many of each gender are in it, you always use the masculine "le" or "les"; "la" and "las" are used only for something 100% female. I think at least some other Romance languages may be the same way.

Frankly, I can't stand gendered nouns. Not because of some social justice-related righteous anger, but because the choice of gender is variable based on every language and sometimes seems downright random if you haven't researched the exact naming rules.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:08:37 am by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5164 on: September 08, 2013, 02:58:25 am »
My response to this person: BWAHAHAHAHA get the fuck out.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #5165 on: September 08, 2013, 03:15:17 am »

*cue laugh track* It's not gender neutral but people try to use it and often do when the gender is not known about a certain person or animal.

Yeah, "he" is generally the default people use when they're not using "they" as something vaguely gender neutral. It's not really meant to be a specifically gender neutral pronoun, just the first one they come up with. Attempts to avoid this lead to things like tabletop RPG sourcebooks that randomly change pronouns when discussing hypothetical, unnamed characters taking action. I swear I've seen at least one paragraph where the editor didn't catch that the same character was referred to as "he" and "she" in the same paragraph.

There might be some language-related context for it as well. In French, at least, you use "le" and "les", the masculine pronouns, for anything that has any male parts. If a group of people is mixed gender, regardless of how many of each gender are in it, you always use the masculine "le" or "les"; "la" and "las" are. I think at least some other Romance languages may be the same way.

Frankly, I can't stand gendered nouns. Not because of some social justice-related righteous anger, but because the choice of gender is variable based on every language and sometimes seems downright random if you haven't researched the exact naming rules.

Here's the actual quote that was in a Mass Effect RP:

"((OOC: We try to avoid mentioning Shepard, his crew, or any of the in game decisions. It’s problematic because Shepard can be so different for each person. “He” isn’t even really a “he” for some people who post at CDN.))"

To which the response was:

"((“He” is a gender-neutral pronoun. Lighten up)))"

Since it seems the post that prompted this exchanged is missing, it was probably a case of this person breaking RP rules in-character, then trying to cover themselves by claiming 'he is gender neutral,' even though that wouldn't be the case in-universe.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:20:42 am by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5166 on: September 08, 2013, 03:19:40 am »
Not really pertinent but I hate when people use both parenthesis and the term 'ooc' to refer to ooc remarks.

Though I will say completely avoiding Shepard and basically pretending anything they did doesn't really exist is kinda silly and going to absolute extremes to cover your ass. There's nothing wrong in having a roleplay where everyone agrees on the choices made by one Shepard that is basically an NPC.

Then again, I'm speaking as someone who roleplays as a femshep and has done so for over a year.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #5167 on: September 08, 2013, 03:35:17 am »
Not really pertinent but I hate when people use both parenthesis and the term 'ooc' to refer to ooc remarks.

Though I will say completely avoiding Shepard and basically pretending anything they did doesn't really exist is kinda silly and going to absolute extremes to cover your ass. There's nothing wrong in having a roleplay where everyone agrees on the choices made by one Shepard that is basically an NPC.

Then again, I'm speaking as someone who roleplays as a femshep and has done so for over a year.

The thing is, this was Cerberus Daily News, an RP built around actual Bioware-produced 'news articles' that take place in the ME universe, making them canon.  So the RP, at the time, wanted to be as 'canon' as possible, which meant keeping Shepard's details vague (i.e. Bioware didn't have a 'canon' Shep in their news articles, so the RP didn't have one, either).  It was only after ME3 came out and Bioware stopped posting updates that the RP voted on a Shepard, which was ironically a FemShep, and also decided on an 'ending.' (Control)

This argument happened before ME3, though.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5168 on: September 08, 2013, 03:48:42 am »
Ew. Control. But yeah. I kinda miss those articles, tbh...

EDIT to stay on thread topic:

"Rated M for harsh language."

Can we not?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:27:12 am by Booker DeWitt »

&

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5169 on: September 08, 2013, 08:38:45 am »
Ew. Control. But yeah. I kinda miss those articles, tbh...

EDIT to stay on thread topic:

"Rated M for harsh language."

Can we not?

That'd better be some harsh motherfuckin language for some little pissant panty-waists getting their jimmies bunched up round their cocks.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5170 on: September 08, 2013, 10:40:41 am »
Yeahhhhh. It wasn't very severe at all. It could've easily been T.

&

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #5171 on: September 08, 2013, 11:12:11 am »
To be fair, there might be other reasons that they don't have terms for. Like, motherfucking zombies and shit.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5172 on: September 08, 2013, 11:22:23 am »
Except that was an author note at the beginning of the fic, not a dropbox option?

&

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5173 on: September 08, 2013, 11:26:03 am »
There might be some language-related context for it as well. In French, at least, you use "le" and "les", the masculine pronouns, for anything that has any male parts. If a group of people is mixed gender, regardless of how many of each gender are in it, you always use the masculine "le" or "les"; "la" and "las" are used only for something 100% female. I think at least some other Romance languages may be the same way.

Indeed. Spanish and Italian have the same rule.
Σא

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5174 on: September 08, 2013, 11:32:33 am »
German has male, female, and neuter. What do you say about that? HUH?!?!?

I'm kidding in case anyone can't tell.

&