Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2073134 times)

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #8100 on: October 02, 2014, 06:33:28 pm »
My parents discovered the OpenDNS parental settings. Doesn't affect my PC because I'm already using a different DNS, but circumventing this on all my devices is going to be so much fun.
Update on this, it seems like my parents actually didn't do it, so it was either some kind of mistake or my ISP is trying to get draconian. We changed the DNS on the router itself and that fixed the problem.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #8101 on: October 02, 2014, 10:41:27 pm »
The worst possible thing has happened. MY INTERNET IS DOWN! Hopefully it just lasts the night and will be up in the morning. Oh well, at least I have my phone.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8102 on: October 02, 2014, 10:53:13 pm »
The fact that skin takes so long to grow back.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #8103 on: October 03, 2014, 03:34:53 am »
I researched what it would realistically cost for me to go to college (both a community college and state university) and said "fuck that, I'm moving to Finland." Just to be clear, tuition alone costs more money than has ever passed through my hands.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8104 on: October 03, 2014, 03:56:06 am »
I researched what it would realistically cost for me to go to college (both a community college and state university) and said "fuck that, I'm moving to Finland." Just to be clear, tuition alone costs more money than has ever passed through my hands.
...If you really plan to do that let us know.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8105 on: October 03, 2014, 04:11:54 am »
Unless you have Finnish citizenship, you'd still pay through the nose for tuition. Full price for international students, that's how it is in every country. The only reason to let them in in the first place is for the money.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #8106 on: October 03, 2014, 04:17:13 am »
Unless you have Finnish citizenship, you'd still pay through the nose for tuition. Full price for international students, that's how it is in every country. The only reason to let them in in the first place is for the money.
Yeah, I know. It means I'd have to live there are a couple years before qualifying, but on the other hand I'd live in Finland.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8107 on: October 03, 2014, 04:22:58 am »
Actually there are no tuition fees in Finland (apart from a few masters degrees), however you must independently cover all your living expenses.

http://www.studyinfinland.fi/tuition_and_scholarships/tuition_fees

EDIT for additional info:

Some language courses cost money if you are in Finland with a foreign student's residency permit you can only work 25 hours per week. Also, living expenses can be high and finding an appartment can cause difficulties as well.

EDIT 2: (Electric boogaloo) Actually I might have to read some more about this. Working in Finland makes you qualify for the social security and technically there are no limits to how much you can work while studying. That site I linked has english information and I am trying to read another site about the subject as well. (but a struggling baby on my lap is not hepking with the reading and typing.)

...I'll get back to this.

EDIT 3: (Revenge of the Sith)

things you need for a permit to come studying:

a) pass an exam and get into a university/school
b) you must come to study something that will lead to a job or a degree
c) You must have the funds to support yourself whily studying. (approximately 560€ per month or 6720€ per year)
d) health insurance

Or if you are coming as an exhange student:

a) are an exhange student
b) studies have something to do with the thing you are studying back home.

Aand, I have read way too much about this subject. Let's just say that there is bureucracy involved.

In other matters, things that annoy me:

a) Bureucracy
b) Finding an interesting conversation online and seeing that it has been derailed and driven to the ground before I can comment. Like a discussion about Australian police officer shooting a man who had stabbed him being turned into "Australians are pussies and have no guns" vs "a guy who cannot type a sentence without using the word shitcunt." Or a topic about women and equality in historical rpgs being reduced into "It is not rape if it is not done by penetrating someone with a penis" before the mods closed the topic.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:35:16 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8108 on: October 03, 2014, 07:43:51 am »
Financial aid should cover almost everything for at least community college tuition, without loans, with at least something left over to help out.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8109 on: October 03, 2014, 07:50:51 am »
Also, you may not even need to bother with college at all. Tradesmen, for example, make a hell of a lot of money, and a lot more reliably than a college graduate, so perhaps an apprenticeship is a good option?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8110 on: October 03, 2014, 07:57:16 am »
Also, you may not even need to bother with college at all. Tradesmen, for example, make a hell of a lot of money, and a lot more reliably than a college graduate, so perhaps an apprenticeship is a good option?

Not a bad idea, when you include the fact that a lot of what you get in those fields is union work.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #8111 on: October 03, 2014, 12:57:16 pm »
Indeed.  I've had a few tradespeople in my family and they were never without work, it seems.  My grandpa (and great grandpa for that matter) practically built a good chunk of Dalton GA as a mason and carpenter.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:59:28 pm by SpaceProg »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8112 on: October 04, 2014, 08:08:56 am »
The current Finnish goverment: New regulations and bans on alcohol advertisement are just silly. They are basically demanding that bars remove the like button on their Facebook page. Because next year it will be illegal to promote alcohol or bars on any social media. So if I send an email to a buddy and say that brand X cider is pretty good I have broken the law. If I say I was drinking with buddies at West Coast Billiard I will have broken the law AND WCB will be in trouble as well due to illegal advertisement. Because this will make our country safer and eradicate all problems from alcohol.

Oh, and the driver of a bands tourbus requires an official qualification, unless they are a band member. So you can't ask a buddy to drive the bus/truck with the band equipment even if they have a drivers license for large vehicles unless they also get an expensive qualification. But it will be totally ok for any of the band members to drive the truck without those qualifications. Because this will make our roads safer when unqualified drivers will be replaced with tired AND unqualified drivers.

And they are making a new law (which hasn't been passed yet) that would force people to notify the goverment if they are subscribing magazines from outside EU. Because having these "suspicious" people in a secret registry is necessary to national safety.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8113 on: October 04, 2014, 08:29:41 am »
I thought Finland was a country of naught but hippies.  [/sarcasm]

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #8114 on: October 05, 2014, 11:30:48 am »
My computer.

For over a month it has been dying a slow and painful death and nothing I do will give me more than three days at most of trouble free comp time. But once it starts fucking up again it will take me between three and four days to find a solution and that usually involves running chkdsk, which takes a solid three days to run just once.

At first the cmos battery died. No surprise, it was stock from when I got my comp back in '07. I changed it and figured I was good to go. Oh, to be young and naieve. After that my profile became corrupted, so I had to start a new one and reset as much as I could. Then came the problems of it not wanting to boot from the c drive, telling me the c drive isn't there and so much other shit I've forgotten most of it. Yesterday I thought I was good. It told me I had another corrupted profile so after three days of running chkdsk from the cd and then from fucking dos because it wouldn't load the c drive again, I got it to load and created yet another new profile and then spent the next three days copying the files from the corrupted profile which finished yesterday afternoon. Everything was good, I got it sorted by evening, played a game, watched a movie and went to bed.

I woke up this morning, turned on my comp...and its giving me the blue screen of death. Its not reading the c drive. Again. So for my week of working on it, I get to use it for one fucking evening.

I know the problem: its old. I got it back in 2007 and had been running it damn near constantly ever since. By now its just worn out. But I've been working on it since fucking August and have made zero progress. I'm about one snarky comment from ripping the fucking harddrives out of it and unloading over 300 rounds from my AR15 into it. And then breaking out my shotgun and .45 just because its pissed me off so much.

But I can't afford to replace it.

Fuck my life.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen