Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2070811 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9450 on: December 09, 2015, 09:06:27 am »
Its like when I get overexcited or angry or something, my Southern really comes out.  Or when I'm talking to my family, lol.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9451 on: December 09, 2015, 09:12:27 am »
New pet peeve: when people have characters with accents in works of fiction and have the accent persist when the character writes (a) or has internal monologue (b).

if i may, i believe you're talking about two different things. allow me to expand.

point a: i believe that this is what's known as cultural linguistical differences. when you come from place a you talk differently from place b based on upbringing, local slang, etc. so that makes for a cultural shift. easy example: letipex and i both speak french-french (not québécois, ivoirian, cajun...). so we share a language only separated by local accent. however, he's from the north (paris), and i'm from the south (toulouse). the accent is a big change when speaking, but you can't really translate it into writing without butchering the spelling (in my case, i'd probably need sheet music to do it anyway). however, the local slang is a big factor, going so far as to swap out words for one another. this pastry, for example, is the longest-running joke between northerners and southerners in france. tipex most likely calls it a "pain au chocolat", i call it a "chocolatine". based on this, you can surmise that someone who is writing will use his "local accent" out of convenience rather than try and wilfully use the most neutral ways of saying something. i'm not even going into local pride here. this is just instinctive writing. hell, i'm sure you and askold have some variance in writing when writing in finn.

so point a can be explained, if out of a more "transliterative" way.

point b is going to be a lot more biased from case to case. and in my examples, i hope i don't mix up where you guys come from. if so, i apologize in advance.

zygarde is from louisiana, which has a very distinctive drawl (distinctive even from the rest of the south). that's the accent she's heard all her life, and chances are, she picked up traces of it. she can fully understand "standard neutral" american (california or d.c., take your pick) just fine, but chances are, she won't speak it unconsciously.
queen outright stated she's got a strong local accent (southern too, i believe). unless she came from louisiana too, she won't have picked up the same accent that zygarde has, and by reading into her posts, i'd hazard a guess that she tries to mask her accent, so as to mask her roots and sound more serious. because it's how we learned to talk, we adopt the local accent, until the local accent becomes our norm.
that's why people like art (australian) will sound different from conty (brit), from spaceprog (georgia?), from ghoti (minnesota), from ironchew (new mexico), and from you.

now ask any of those people i mentionned, and their accent is the one they speak with in their mind. just because it's their baseline norm. because i'm different, i monologue in yorkshire english, but speak in virginian. i learned to speak in virginia, but the rest of my family speaks in a northern english accent. i can do the yorkshire accent, but i have to think about it, it's not a reflex like slurring the words i usually do. my baseline is yorkshire english, can't do anything about this.

hope that clears up a few things.

disclaimer: in no way do i pretend to know intimate details about the people i named, especially not their speaking habits. this is all surmised, hypothesized, and assumed from their geographical information i found on this forum. if anyone wants to disagree, feel free and i'll update the post.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Even Then

« Reply #9452 on: December 09, 2015, 09:28:31 am »
That's all well and good for the real world, but in fiction it still bugs me.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9453 on: December 09, 2015, 09:33:13 am »
That's all well and good for the real world, but in fiction it still bugs me.

order of the stick! awesome!

if i have to overthink it (and i will, because it's fun), you could say that durkon is writing in dwarven, transliterated so the reader can understand.

my best guess? rule of funny. i mean, the giant clearly said that was his guiding rule when writing that. also, that's exactly what i was talking about when i said "butchering the spelling".

i thought you were talking about fanfics or something. i guess both points are valid.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Even Then

« Reply #9454 on: December 09, 2015, 09:38:36 am »
It bugs me in fanfics too.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #9455 on: December 09, 2015, 10:25:11 pm »
SpaceProg and I are both from Gawguh (Georgia, spelled as many 'round these parts pronounce it), yes.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9456 on: December 10, 2015, 01:49:22 am »
I've always heard it pronounced jor-ja.  *shrugs*  Still, go anywhere in the state and you're bound to hear several different accents, lol.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9457 on: December 10, 2015, 02:11:06 am »
damn, seems like my point proved itself. good to know i didn't mess up.  :)

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9458 on: December 10, 2015, 06:54:22 am »
Yep, yep. :)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9459 on: December 14, 2015, 10:32:28 pm »
Not annoying, more sad.  Found out today that RunUO, the project that basically got me started learning code all those years ago, died sometime last year.  After nearly 20 years of development.  Making RunUO scripts (in C#) helped me transition to writing for my TI-83 over to a proper computer, its no stretch to say that most of what I know now is thanks to what I learned from RunUO's code.  To see something that...integral to my development as a professional, something that sent me down the path of the software engineer, die just...damn.  I know it happens to the best of projects, but still, damn.  Its like losing a friend.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #9460 on: December 15, 2015, 01:33:20 am »
(click to show/hide)

I just noticed old adolf was rocking the single glove well before Michael Jackson.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #9461 on: December 15, 2015, 02:10:12 am »
(click to show/hide)

I just noticed old adolf was rocking the single glove well before Michael Jackson.
Whoops, wrong thread.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #9462 on: December 15, 2015, 12:34:27 pm »
Its like when I get overexcited or angry or something, my Southern really comes out.  Or when I'm talking to my family, lol.

I have that too.  The manbeast thinks it's cute.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #9463 on: December 16, 2015, 01:37:54 am »
"Otherkin" used as a dogwistle for "transgendered"

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9464 on: December 16, 2015, 08:41:10 am »
"Otherkin" used as a dogwistle for "transgendered"

how does that even work? all trans are sexually attracted to animals?

eta:

goddamn pôle emploi (official ministry of work branch) just kicked me out for no reason. for the second time this year. "administrative error", they call it, "it happens if you update your file near the end of the month"... what's the point of a welfare state if it works so wonkily that people stop signing up for it? oh wait, they use those records to number unemployment figures. i see what you did there, françois hollande...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:01:57 pm by guizonde »

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯