Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1672876 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #1470 on: July 25, 2012, 05:15:51 am »
Of course, every group's got its assholes, after all.  That doesn't make the strawman any less glaring, simplistic, or insulting, though.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #1471 on: July 25, 2012, 06:26:27 am »

This actually has a good point. If you think eating meat is murder, you think other people are murdering animals.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1472 on: July 25, 2012, 03:28:34 pm »
Excepting, of course, the fact that the human body needs meat.  If you go Vegan, you need to take supplements.  And if you do, well, good for you.  Regardless, the human body is designed for both the consumption of animal and plant matter.  We're omnivores.

Yes, it's sad that animals die so we can consume their flesh, but that's life.  Lions kill and eat their prey.  Bears do, too.  And they don't give a damn about the suffering of the animal they kill.  Some wildcats suffocate their prey, which is a slow, agonizing death.

Some animals don't even wait for their prey to die before they begin eating.

Seriously, the world is a cruel place.  And honestly, compared to other animals, humans as a whole (outside of certain situations which PETArds love to blow up out of proportion) tend to be quite merciful to their prey, aiming for quick, painless deaths.

That being said, we could be standing to eat less meat.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #1473 on: July 25, 2012, 03:33:19 pm »
This actually has a good point. If you think eating meat is murder, you think other people are murdering animals.
Yeah. It's actually perfectly reasonable within their not entirely unreasonable (imo) worldview.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #1474 on: July 25, 2012, 06:08:05 pm »
Plants are living things as well. Eating a carrot means killing it.

Of course, there are some folks who go so far as to even limit themselves to eating fruit and other such products that don’t involve killing the plant…
-A Pen Name

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #1475 on: July 25, 2012, 06:12:48 pm »
Of course, there are some folks who go so far as to even limit themselves to eating fruit and other such products that don’t involve killing the plant…
Yum, plant ovaries.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1476 on: July 25, 2012, 06:43:25 pm »

*head desks*
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #1477 on: July 25, 2012, 07:48:41 pm »
Yes, it's sad that animals die so we can consume their flesh, but that's life.  Lions kill and eat their prey.

Naturalism fallacy.

Actually, if we're talking about killing things in nasty ways, I have a funny story. Humans have a lot of endurance compared to most animals. So pre-tool humans used to chase after, say, deer until the deer died of exhaustion. Checkmate,

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #1478 on: July 25, 2012, 08:10:26 pm »
Yes, it's sad that animals die so we can consume their flesh, but that's life.  Lions kill and eat their prey.

Naturalism fallacy.

Actually, if we're talking about killing things in nasty ways, I have a funny story. Humans have a lot of endurance compared to most animals. So pre-tool humans used to chase after, say, deer until the deer died of exhaustion. Checkmate,

Um, humans may have endurance, but we don't have nearly the speed of a deer.  We threw spears at them, then later used slings and bows.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #1479 on: July 25, 2012, 08:15:49 pm »

Naturalism fallacy.

Um, humans may have endurance, but we don't have nearly the speed of a deer.  We threw spears at them, then later used slings and bows.

Pre-tool, dude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting

-FDR

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #1480 on: July 25, 2012, 08:29:06 pm »
Did anybody else immediately think of zombies at the first mention of persistence hunting?
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #1481 on: July 25, 2012, 08:38:37 pm »

*head desks*

A lot of them believe that the "natural" human diet is a frugivore one, based on fruit containing most of the vitamins, etc. that we need, and several other primates sustain mainly on fruit. What they fail to realize is that A) Our teeth are clearly those of omnivores, B) Fruit may contain many of the nutrients we need, but not in realistic proportions, and C) The fact that we are fairly closely related to frugivores hardly means they we're a fruit-only species (and many of those frugivores don't exclusively eat fruit, even if it's their primary food-source). Not to mention that humans are drawn to a variety of food groups for a reason.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1482 on: July 25, 2012, 08:40:15 pm »

Naturalism fallacy.

What?

I'm not saying it as an excuse for cruelly killing animals, but moreso the fact that our bodies are designed to eat meat, and you can't get meat without killing animals.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #1483 on: July 25, 2012, 08:45:49 pm »

Naturalism fallacy.

What?

I'm not saying it as an excuse for cruelly killing animals, but moreso the fact that our bodies are designed to eat meat, and you can't get meat without killing animals.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that you can't logically justify something on the basis that lions do it. That's a naturalism fallacy- what is does not necessary equal what ought to be.

-FDR

Distind

« Reply #1484 on: July 25, 2012, 09:17:21 pm »
How about we say "Plants have feelings too!" and call it a day on this?