Author Topic: Server Announcements  (Read 9356 times)

Offline Keiro Dreamwalker

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
Server Announcements
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:00:41 pm »
This will be the general thread from which I shall make server announcements, upcoming maintenances, stuff like that.
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.

Offline Keiro Dreamwalker

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
Re: Server Announcements
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:14:31 pm »
Upcoming server maintenance at around 5PM EST for DNS changeovers as well as switching servers. This should not affect anything once the maintenance mode is locked on.
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.

Offline Kradorex Xeron

• Technical Consultant
  • Administrator
  • Bishop
  • Digitally Original
    • Personal Site
Outage: 2012-03-02
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:03:23 am »
All,

An outage of services hosted on the serv.eidolonhost.com machine begun at 05:30 EST, this outage was due to a backup mechanism that created a backup of 486 GBytes. This backup fully filled up the server's hard disk and impaired the server's operating ability, including database transactions and web services. Below is a sequence of events from my perspective:

05:30 EST - Downtime in play

06:00 - I was called to manage and rectify the situation

06:25 - I traced the issue to being disk space usage by way of the MySQL (database service) logs, I then begun work to discover where the disk usage was expended to.

06:30 - The expendature was traced to a backup hosted on the same machine, the backup was in the amount of 486 GBytes, I begun purging parts of this backup up to 147 GBytes to provide more operational disk space until a longterm solution can be created.

06:35 - MySQL was restored, as was web services, I begun checking around the system for any further impairments.

06:50 - Various forums and similar software had blank pages and errors displayed.

07:00 - The event at 06:50 was due to MySQL tables marked as "crashed" and needed checking, I executed a check and repair operation on these.

07:15 - Repair operations completed.

07:25 - Systems operational as normal

~ Kradorex Xeron
Executive Director
Digibase Operations, Research and Development
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:18:24 am by Kradorex "Digital" Xeron »
~Krad Xeron