Author Topic: New pope continues reprimand of nuns  (Read 6250 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: New pope continues reprimand of nuns
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:26 am »

Then, of course, there The Episcopalian Church.

AKA Catholicism Lite.  All the pageantry, none of the guilt.

Solunds a bit like the Church of England.  Only the C of E is more "All the pageantry, 90% less guilt".

It is, pretty much.  If I'm not mistaken.  Episcopalian is what the Anglican church became when it crossed over the pond.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 11:01:42 am »
Yep.  The Episcopal Church is the US version of the Church of England. 
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 11:33:04 am »
http://www.somareview.com/openlettertorowan.cfm

Bishop John Shelby Spong pretty much typifies the more progressive end of the Episcopalian spectrum. He is a prolific author and you will be amazed at the intellect, progressive activism and courage he shows both in his books and in his life (he's elderly now, but active as ever).

In the link above, you will see him politely skewering the Archbishop of Canterbury - to whom the American Church nods respect, but not to the current Archbishop's attitude on things. There is quite a groundswell of radical conservatism in many parts of the Anglican Church around the world. Yet another creeping take-over by pod preachers, basically. I actually hope that Pope Francis' action inspires many more Catholics to join the Episcopalians and Anglicans - it's a nice church with a history of community involvement and progressive Christianity, so they need all the gentle practicing Christians they can get to counter this conservative take-over trend.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:51:43 am by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 01:38:16 pm »
http://www.somareview.com/openlettertorowan.cfm

Bishop John Shelby Spong pretty much typifies the more progressive end of the Episcopalian spectrum. He is a prolific author and you will be amazed at the intellect, progressive activism and courage he shows both in his books and in his life (he's elderly now, but active as ever).

In the link above, you will see him politely skewering the Archbishop of Canterbury - to whom the American Church nods respect, but not to the current Archbishop's attitude on things. There is quite a groundswell of radical conservatism in many parts of the Anglican Church around the world. Yet another creeping take-over by pod preachers, basically. I actually hope that Pope Francis' action inspires many more Catholics to join the Episcopalians and Anglicans - it's a nice church with a history of community involvement and progressive Christianity, so they need all the gentle practicing Christians they can get to counter this conservative take-over trend.

I agree. Genuine Christians need to be ever-diligent in the face of the infiltration of their churches by Zealot Pseudo-Christians....the REAL Antichrist, IMHO. Jesus-Christians need to be more centralized & united in the face of the Zealot Paul-Christians. We, even those who are non-Christian, non-religious & even atheists, need to count the sane, progressive Christians as allies in the fight against the TEAliban! Please don't be divisive & dismissive about Liberal Christians. Even if you feel they are deluded "cafeteria" types or whatever, their hearts are still in the right place. Besides, all religious folk cherry-pick their scriptures to a certain degree. As long as one cherry-picks the good, life-affirming, soul-nourishing, beneficial stuff, they're fine.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 01:47:40 pm »
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21134540/vp=51582368&#51582368

And here's just one of a gazillion reasons for Catholics to look for a better church....
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 02:00:51 pm »
The relationship between the Episcopal Church and the Anglican church is a bit more complicated than the "American version of the Anglican church."

See, the Anglican church initially refused to basically ordain any priests over here.  There was, however, the Scottish church, which was called the Episcopal Church, was perfectly willing to ordain priests for us.

So while it's all part of the same communion, the American church is technically religiously descended from the Scottish church instead of the Anglican church.

Also, one of the nice things about being an Episcopalian is that you're expected to be respectful, but not obedient towards your religious authorities, especially the ABC.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 02:01:05 pm »
I swear, this conflict between the progressive-leaning nuns and the Roman Catholic Church is going to lead to another schism.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 02:01:50 pm »
I swear, this conflict between the progressive-leaning nuns and the Roman Catholic Church is going to lead to another schism.

Might be what the church needs, actually.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 02:03:47 pm »

Yeah, I hate to be the one to call for war and stuff, but it would be really fun if the Roman Catholic Church was destroyed by the Nun Armies.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 02:09:12 pm »

Yeah, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  After all, the Protestant Reformation resulted in the Counter-Reformation.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 03:31:20 pm »
It used to be said that the only distinction between Episcopalians and Catholics was the fact that Episcopalians were poor at Latin.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 10:02:58 pm »

Yeah, I hate to be the one to call for war and stuff, but it would be really fun if the Roman Catholic Church was destroyed by the Nun Armies.

I suppose the Hitman: Absolution trailer wasn't that far off the money after all.